Notices

can somone help me wtih my technique

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 08:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default can somone help me wtih my technique

im trying to learn how to heel toe toe. but i cant hit the freekin gass pedal with my heel. i could only do it with my heel on the brake and my toe to the gas. any tips
Old 02-22-2006, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can somone help me wtih my technique (djsire)

You can do it either way. Also most times it is very hard to do it on stock pedal. Practice makes perfect.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

word on the street is that you have to take out your gas pedal, then heat up the arm and bend it so that when you re-install it, the pedal will sit closer to the brake pedal
Old 02-22-2006, 08:14 AM

Default Re: can somone help me wtih my technique (Slomo_civic)

you could do that, but pick up some cheap "racing pedals" for 10 dollars. sometimes just the gas pedal is enough to make heel - toe downshifting really easy. like crxtoad said, practice makes perfect, just dont crash
Old 02-22-2006, 08:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can somone help me wtih my technique (crx-treme)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by crx-treme &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> like crxtoad said, practice makes perfect, just dont crash</TD></TR></TABLE>

Like they always say out on track. Don't practice with cars around and don't practice with car behind you. Cause your going to slam down on that brake pedal while learning and stop your car REAL quick and if someone is behind you. You just caused an accident.

Aftermarket pedal are the best thing to do. And I am not talking about expensive ones. You will be able to see they have additional surface to the left on the gas pedal to make it easier.

It is hard to do in a CRX with a size 12 shoe too.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: can somone help me wtih my technique (CRX Toad)

I have a size 9 foot/shoe and I manage to hit brake/gas for heel/toe. I think a big portion is your flexibility and general fitment in the car.

My driving position is fully setup for track... arms bent, sitting vertical... proper distance from pedals. Proper driving position is very very helpful... and ends up being comfier and allows for longer drives without making you tired (because proper driving position allows for less movement needed).

This is in an EG though...
My EF came with some random ricer brake pedal cover... and I'm able to reach fine in it also. You can try bending gas over, or brake over... just don't get them too close or break stuff : p
Old 02-22-2006, 09:18 AM

Default technique

One tip on buying the after maket pedals, when choosing try and find the pedal pads with straps holding it in place, not the ones that clamps with ridges on the end, under extreme driving conditions (racing) they come loose. I know so many people that bought those only to end up with the brake pad missing and sometimes it ends up taking the stock rubber one with it. They're mostly just for looks, I've even applied locktite to the screws to keep them from coming loose
Old 02-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Toad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Like they always say out on track. Don't practice with cars around and don't practice with car behind you. Cause your going to slam down on that brake pedal while learning and stop your car REAL quick and if someone is behind you. You just caused an accident.

Aftermarket pedal are the best thing to do. And I am not talking about expensive ones. You will be able to see they have additional surface to the left on the gas pedal to make it easier.

It is hard to do in a CRX with a size 12 shoe too. </TD></TR></TABLE>

i heel-toe every downshift, regargless of where or what i'm driving. practice makes perfect, and i don't think there is anything remotely dangerous about it. it's the only way to shift some of my cars (non synchro).

bigger/closer pedals will help like stated. so will bending/ shimming to get the heights even when the brakes are pushed. iirc crx's are pretty good from the factory as far as heights go.

i have a lot more control - especially when threshold braking- if i use my toe to brake, and my heel to blip the throttle. with the pedals set up right you really dont have to make some crazy 90degree bend with your foot, and you can even "cheat" a little and use the front ball of your foot to brake and your pinky toe to gas.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:30 AM

Default Re: can somone help me wtih my technique (rsca_crx)

so what position are your feet in?
Old 02-22-2006, 09:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What is the actual proper technique to "heel toe"? sometimes understanding what is going on helps more than actual suggestions. I find that its more of a half foot technique than heel toe per say. just depends on the driver.
Old 02-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rsca_crx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

i heel-toe every downshift, regargless of where or what i'm driving. practice makes perfect, and i don't think there is anything remotely dangerous about it. it's the only way to shift some of my cars (non synchro).

bigger/closer pedals will help like stated. so will bending/ shimming to get the heights even when the brakes are pushed. iirc crx's are pretty good from the factory as far as heights go.

i have a lot more control - especially when threshold braking- if i use my toe to brake, and my heel to blip the throttle. with the pedals set up right you really dont have to make some crazy 90degree bend with your foot, and you can even "cheat" a little and use the front ball of your foot to brake and your pinky toe to gas.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I wasn't saying that is was dangerous but when you are learning it can be dangerous if you dip into the brake a little harder than you think you are and the guy behind you runs up on you it can cause issues. That was the point I was making.

I agree that is helps in all parts of the track/turns.
Old 02-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CRX Toad &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

I wasn't saying that is was dangerous but when you are learning it can be dangerous if you dip into the brake a little harder than you think you are and the guy behind you runs up on you it can cause issues. That was the point I was making.

I agree that is helps in all parts of the track/turns. </TD></TR></TABLE>

agreed. you'll probably botch it a bit the first few times you try to do it while limit or threshold braking. stay out of traffic 'till it's second nature
Old 02-22-2006, 11:09 AM

thansk for the replys
i was gonna go take the pedal kit off my bros auto civic and put on my rex.
the damn gas pedal is so far behind the brake, also when i do try to do it i miss the gass and bang my leg on the center console/underdash.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:40 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by djsire &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">thansk for the replys
i was gonna go take the pedal kit off my bros auto civic and put on my rex.
the damn gas pedal is so far behind the brake, also when i do try to do it i miss the gass and bang my leg on the center console/underdash.</TD></TR></TABLE>
You're moving your foot/leg way too much.

Your toes should be on the brake, not the ball of your foot - your toes are more sensitive for modulation; simply rotate your leg using the brake pedal as the pivot point, and blip the throttle with either your heel or the side of your foot. I use the side of my foot, and have no problems with a size 11 and the stock pedal covers and spacing. It just takes practice; don't expect to be able to do it right the first time - you just have to get used to controlling the pressure on the brake pedal with your toes while moving your heel independently.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:45 AM
Banned

It takes practice, certainly not something you want to learn on the street. Go to an empty lot and practice it.

I find it easier to heel-toe on the CRX than my Accord. Not sure if the pedals in the Accord are further apart... hmm may need to measure the distance.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:57 AM
be professional

Default Re: (94accordsedan)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 94accordsedan &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I find it easier to heel-toe on the CRX than my Accord. Not sure if the pedals in the Accord are further apart... hmm may need to measure the distance. </TD></TR></TABLE>
CRX/EF pedals do have better spacing than some of the other Hondas I've driven. I learned how to heel toe in my '96-00 Civic, which had crappy pedal spacing. When I switched to the CRX I found it much easier to do. The S2000 also has heel-toe-friendly pedal spacing.

The worst car I have ever tried to heel-toe was an '00 Cavalier Z24 - it was pretty much impossible. I've driven pickup trucks with better pedal spacing than that
Old 02-22-2006, 12:25 PM

Default Re: (Targa250R)

I dont see how this is better for racing, if your toe is on the brake, and heel on the accel. how do you accelerate all the way with your heel and not breaking, I remember like 2 yrs ago I saw a autocross guy doing this technique and they showed the video of only his feet, does anyone know where I can find this video?
Old 02-22-2006, 12:29 PM
be professional

Default Re: (Stupid EF)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Stupid EF &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont see how this is better for racing, if your toe is on the brake, and heel on the accel. how do you accelerate all the way with your heel and not breaking, I remember like 2 yrs ago I saw a autocross guy doing this technique and they showed the video of only his feet, does anyone know where I can find this video?</TD></TR></TABLE>
This is not done all the time; it is only used when you need to downshift and brake at the same time. You are blipping the throttle to rev-match while the clutch is pushed in.