Notices

Camber change w/ DA front brakes

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2017, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Camber change w/ DA front brakes

Tired of reading through all the front knuckle and brake swap threads. Has anyone actually checked what kind of camber change occurs when you swap out EF front brakes to DA? I time trial my car and don't want to stray too far from my current camber. If it adds negative camber I should be ok.....anyone know?
Old 02-22-2017, 03:56 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Camber change w/ DA front brakes

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-...rakes-2140287/

The knuckle is taller so it adds negative camber.
Any camber changes the contact patch of the tire to the ground.
Ideally, you would want to correct this with a camber kit, but there are plenty of people out there that live with the little added neg camber.
If you don't like the idea of a camber kit, then going to a heavier spring rate can help keep the contact patch under control in turns and braking.
Old 02-22-2017, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 66 Likes on 64 Posts

It adds negative camber. But it's not so much that it changes static camber, the taller knuckle will change the camber curve. And it's been found by some track guys that it's too fast of a change.

Think about it, the UCA is starting at a higher angle, and will only rise and pull in faster as it goes thru the curve.

Try it out, see if it works for you. You may want less static negative camber just to get to the camber you really want in a turns, when you really need it.
Old 02-23-2017, 12:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ in addition to what Tyson said, there is also the change in the roll center of the car to be considered. the lower and upper control arm imaginary lines now intersect at a different point which means the roll center of the car changes.

but why mess with all that when you can have 11 inch brakes on the small knuckles? I'm using 280mmx25mm rotors with TL calipers because I couldn't find EX knuckles to do the ITR calipers and MINI rotors like I have on one of my EKs. so i started looking around, test fitting some stuff, found massive rotors... and voila
Old 02-23-2017, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thxs a lot guys! I did find out that it is taller; someone somewhere said about 1/4" as the thread you posted 4drEF confirmed. Considered the roll center issue, but as usual Tyson brings all the details to light. I have tried the car with less negative camber(hard race UCA's) and it doesn't suit my driving style/ car setup.

I guess I was trying to keep things simple by having DA integra rotors and DA pads, also the larger bearing was a added bonus. I've also been looking at the fastbrakes 11" kit as an alternative, wonder if they'll keep that cross drilled crap and just sell me the adapters. I do have a set of DC calipers laying around. Wondering where the 11" rotors they use are sourced from, are they the mini's rotors from the s model or the base? The EX knuckles would be nice, but those things were hard to find ten years ago. bbarbulo....the TL calipers bolt right up to a civic DX knuckle?

I am aware of the need to swap out the MC and proportioning valve(already running rear disk swap). Anyone in need of a 1 year old OEM DX mc?
Old 02-24-2017, 01:28 PM
#1 Super Guy

Received 123 Likes on 117 Posts

If you are very low, I would mostly be concerned with UCA to shock tower clearance.

I would not be concerned about roll center changes as the UCA has very little effect. The LCA angle is what has major effect, and just lowering your car alters it quite a lot. BTW a taller knuckle actually raises roll center a tiny bit (where lowering has lowered it significantly).

Give them a shot. If you have a race car, then only lap-times will tell if it's better or not. If it's a street car, then keep an eye on tire wear.
Old 02-24-2017, 10:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Creator
Wondering where the 11" rotors they use are sourced from, are they the mini's rotors from the s model or the base? The EX knuckles would be nice, but those things were hard to find ten years ago. bbarbulo....the TL calipers bolt right up to a civic DX knuckle?
Fastbrakes use a VW corrado g60 rotor with a centric ring

I wanted something thicker. The VW rotor is pretty thin, and so is the Mini rotor. I use the ITR/Mini combo on my EK coupe and it's pretty sweet. I use the big Wilwood kit on my EK sedan.

I posted pics somewhere of my TL caliper bolted to a DX knuckle. Think it was in my build thread here. The TL has a bigger piston than the ITR and more pad area too. And takes a thicker rotor, so more mass to absorb and dissipate heat. But again... more mass, and unsprung at that. So maybe that's not a plus in your case. But I don't need to go fast, I just like big brakes.