Notices

A/C Compressor and Condensor Fan not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 09:01 AM

Location: Boca Raton, FL, for now, will be relocating tot eh Raleigh, NC area in the next few years.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Compressor and Condensor Fan not working

I have a '90 EF EX Sedan. I can't seem to get the compressor clutch to engage, or get teh condensor fan to come on. I think they are related, it would make sense, if the condensor fan can't come on to cool the radiator, the compressor shouldn't run either.

This is what I know so far. This A/C system seems to have been converted to R134, at least the fittings on the lines are R134 fittings. There seems to be no charge in the system. I had the HVAC controls set like this: Fan control set to 4, temp control turned all the way to the left (cold position), the vent slider set to recirculate, the A/C button is on, and light on the button is lit. I did notice that the radiator fan is aftermarket and is wired to be on when the ignition is on, not temp controlled like I think the original was. The plug going to the condensor fan was unplugged, so I plugged that in, but, i found a square female plug with the same harnass. It's a four terminal plug, but, I can't seem to find it's mate! One other thing, the idler/adjustment pulley and bracket were totally gone when I got the car. I have since put one on that I got from a junkyard. Belt is on, and no screaming from the belt or pulleys. I did turn the compressor by hand at the clutch, and it seems to be free and not frozen.

I need help in tracing this problem, as it is an electrical issue. Thanks!!

Jerry
Old 10-04-2009, 12:57 PM

Default Re: A/C Compressor and Condensor Fan not working

the AC will not operate if it is low on freon
Old 10-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^^^ it needs the pressure to activate the clutch on the compressor. go to your local auto store and buy some r134a and refill it.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:23 PM

Location: Boca Raton, FL, for now, will be relocating tot eh Raleigh, NC area in the next few years.

I'm trying to refill it, but, it seems like it's not getting into the system. I thought it was because the compressor wasn't getting it. It seems that the freon did not get much past the charging fitting, . I did what the charging instructions said, did I miss something? What should I do before I start to mess with the wiring? Thanks!

Jerry