Notices

brake pedal sinks to floor, gets stuck...new mc, what could be wrong?

Old 06-18-2005, 02:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default brake pedal sinks to floor, gets stuck...new mc, what could be wrong?

need some help here...
here's the whole situation and how it started.

I've had a bad rear left drum for about 2 weeks. It's been grinding metal to metal for that long. Then one day....i had no brakes, the pedal sank all the way to the floor, and the rear left cylinder had finally blown out and there was a puddle of brake fluid under the tire and all over the wheel. My fluid level also when completely dry because of this.

So, i figured it was time to put in the rear disk conversion. So here's my problem now; I've already completed the rear disk swap and filled the reservoir and bled the brakes. From reading on here, i thought my master cylinder may have gone bad from overextending the pushrod on it when i blew out the rear cylinder and damaged the master cylinder seal. Well, I've replaced the master cylinder with a BRAND NEW one from honda from a 91 civic EX (15/16th's), which is the larger one. That did absolutely nothing. I've bled and bled and bled the brakes. I have nothing but fluid coming out of the front two and rear right caliper...no air at all.

Here's another wierd problem...there is no fluid or air coming from the rear left caliper when i try to bleed it. So, I tried this: i put a hose on the rear left bleeder valve and submerged the other side of the hose in a bottle of brake fluid and opened the bleeder valve. I pumped and pumped and pumped, but no air would pump out into the fluid and NO FLUID AT ALL would get sucked back into the caliper. It seems as though the line is not even connected.

I also tried to see if there was a leak somewhere. I sat in my car and pumped the brakes constantly for 10 minutes straight. I then got out and went to see if there were any leaks....nope NONE NONE at all! The fluid level had not decreased at all!

So what could be the problem. Someone suggested that the caliper that wont bleed may have been installed upside down but i don't see how this would make my brakes not work.

My last idea is that the proporsioning valve is bad...only because that is the last replaceable component of the brake system that i can think of.
Any and all help is highly appreciated.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: brake pedal sinks to floor, gets stuck...new mc, what could be wrong? (bambam)

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before you put it on?
Old 06-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: brake pedal sinks to floor, gets stuck...new mc, what could be wrong? (bambam)

I'll bet the Left Rear Caliper Bleeder screw is clogged.

Take it out completely and see if fluid runs out.

Poke a paper clip in there if necessary.

Old 06-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you are supposed to bleed the lines in this order:
right rear->left front->left rear->right front.
the right rear line is the longest one, therefore if it was empty, it would have the most air in it to be removed.

make sure you bench bled the master cylinder before you installed it as well, as this could very well be your problem.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:56 PM

i agree. however, the left rear line is the longest one, because the brake lines run up the right side.
Old 06-19-2005, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sobe_Death)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sobe_Death &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you are supposed to bleed the lines in this order:
right rear-&gt;left front-&gt;left rear-&gt;right front.
the right rear line is the longest one, therefore if it was empty, it would have the most air in it to be removed.

make sure you bench bled the master cylinder before you installed it as well, as this could very well be your problem.</TD></TR></TABLE>

no....it's not the right rear line that doesn't bleed it's the left rear (driver's side).
Also, i bench bled the MC....it had no air in the lines when i bench bled it.

And for the guy who suggested the rear left line could be clogged, that could be a possibility and a reason why it would not bleed, but that would have nothing to do with why the brakes don't work at all...
If it's clogged, my brake would feel really firm anyway because it isn't pushing any fluid to that caliper...

So, are there any other opinions? I checked my calipers and they were installed right....actually when i got to my car, i remembered i never removed them to begin with...lol.

like i said, i've already bled all lines including the one that WONT bleed....it's just dead as if it werent attached....nothing comes out and nothing goes in when i vacuum bled it.

What happens when a proporsioning valve goes bad?
Old 06-19-2005, 06:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bambam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bambam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
And for the guy who suggested the rear left line could be clogged, that could be a possibility and a reason why it would not bleed, but that would have nothing to do with why the brakes don't work at all...
If it's clogged, my brake would feel really firm anyway because it isn't pushing any fluid to that caliper...
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Actually, if it's clogged the whole line may be full of air and then when you pump the pedal it's compressing the air leaving the pedal soft.
Old 06-19-2005, 04:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok...i'll check that line and i'll also check my proporsioning valve i've got one from a crx si that imma try.

any other opinions?
Old 06-19-2005, 04:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: brake pedal sinks to floor, gets stuck...new mc, what could be wrong? (dr_latino999)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dr_latino999 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before you put it on?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 06-20-2005, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (bambam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bambam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also, i bench bled the MC....it had no air in the lines when i bench bled it.
</TD></TR></TABLE>