Notices

Brake lights inop - seatbelt/door ajar dash lights turn on when braking

Old 09-26-2016, 12:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake lights inop - seatbelt/door ajar dash lights turn on when braking

Hello all,

Curious if anyone else has experienced this before I go chasing my wiring down. When I step on the brakes, my brake lights do not turn on- but instead, the door ajar and seatbelt lights illuminate on the dashboard. The switch has to be completing the circuit, as these dash lights basically illuminate in place of the brake lights, and then go back off when the brake pedal is released. Nothing was changed wiring wise. The car sat for almost one full month in the garage, and this issue presented itself after the month of sitting. Any tips are appreciated. If I figure it out before any other feedback, I'll be sure to share.
Old 09-26-2016, 09:15 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Brake lights inop - seatbelt/door ajar dash lights turn on when braking

look for a blown bulb

Happened to me once where my brake bulb was blown, and pressing the brake pedal illuminated all the dash lights
Old 09-27-2016, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Brake lights inop - seatbelt/door ajar dash lights turn on when braking

Coincidentally enough, it was just a blown fuse. The fuse visually looked good, but it was burned and open. Brake lights now function correctly. Glad I actually swapped fuses before going on my visual and moving on. Thanks though!
Old 09-27-2016, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Keep an eye on it. Usually when a fuse blows it does so for a reason. If it blows again you may want to check for a wiring problem or the wrong bulb somewhere.
Old 09-29-2016, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by upnsmoke
Keep an eye on it. Usually when a fuse blows it does so for a reason. If it blows again you may want to check for a wiring problem or the wrong bulb somewhere.
The horn and brake lights run on the same fuse. The previous owner swapped steering wheels for a sportier wheel, and only ever electrical taped the connectors for the horn button. The positive wire grounded through the steering column and popped the fuse. You're absolutely right though. It was a wiring problem.