Notices

bent rear trailing arm? (also posted in suspension forum)

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2007, 01:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bent rear trailing arm? (also posted in suspension forum)

Ok guys im having a problem with a very loud hum that comes from my right rear suspension/tire. It is so loud that it makes the car very annoying to drive, its louder than my exhaust and engine combined. It becomes audible at about 30 mph and gets very loud going over 50mph.
If i make a sharp left hand turn the noise does goes away until i stop turning.

A little history on the car, its a 91 civic dx converted to rear disks using DA rear trailing arm assemblies. The integra that I pulled the arms from was in an accident prior(front of car smashed/ car may have flipped over?) to me pulling them off so im starting to think that something must be bent.

I first noticed the noise when i took out my rear interior, i had never noticed the noise during the 1 year before this of running the rear disks. I tried a new OEM hub from acura and it made an even worse hum, with this hub it actually stopped humming when i turned in the other direction???

I eventually put my rear interior back in along with the original hub and the noise was tolerable for a while. In the last two days however i have been driving my car for work and the hum has become intolerable.

Any ideas on what could be causing this? anyone had a similar problem?

It is not the tires because i have tried different ones and the same thing happens. Most people say its a bad hub but i already tried a new OEM hub and it didnt help.

Im thinking maybe the spindle is bent?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: bent rear trailing arm? (chadmasterc)

It sounds like a bearing. Have you had new bearings pressed in? Mine used to hum horrible new bearings cleared it all up.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: bent rear trailing arm? (CRX Toad)

With rear disks the bearings are in the hub unit which are held on with a big giant nut which is supposed to be torqued down to 134 lbf-ft. the hub unit is sold as a assembly, i tried replacing that and it didnt help.
Old 01-18-2007, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

btw the sound im describing is like the humming/whirring noise that pickup trucks with huge 35" tires make when driving down paved road.
Old 01-18-2007, 03:40 PM

if it sounds like a humming tire.. then wouldnt it just be that your tire is running funny on the road. When you did the swap did you take anything other than the trailing arm off? Maybe you messed up the alignment and its slowly getting worse. If your wheel isnt straight then the faster you go, the more pressure their is gonna be on it in the wrong direction.. which could cause it to flex or w.e and grip the road weird and make the humming noise. Thats just what i think.. because it gets worse with more speed.. im not very smart though.
Old 01-18-2007, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like you have not tried aligning your car yet? if not then go ahead and take care of that 1st thing, that will tell you real quick if something is bent or out of whack.