Notices

B16 swap won't start. help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2005, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default B16 swap won't start. help!

My B16 will not start. It is in an 89 CRX DX We have both spark and fuel. All the spark plugs are brand new and work fine. We have fiddles with the timing a bunch but no matter where we wet it the car will never start. It will fire but it will never take off and run by itself. We have checked the wiring at least 15 times now. We have hardcore went over every sensor and every last piece twice. There were two of us going over it both times. I have no idea what is wrong now... It is not the distributor. We have fuly checked it and it is fine. I am also 99.9% sure it isn't the wiring either because we have checked it so many times. The timing is not 180 out and all the spark plugs are hooked up to the dizzy correctly. We aren't getting any codes. We were getting crank angle but we fixed it by switching the wires. Then we were getting coolant temp but we found that it was unpluged and plugged it back in. Then i found out that the O2 sensors were backwards so i fixed them. I do have one question. On the driver's side of the engine, judt next to the right side of the intake plenum there are two connectors. One whit and one green. They are the same connector, just different colors. The white one goes on the manifold for intake temp sensor, right? Where does the green one go? If i had a sensor not gounded or a sensor not working what would it cause the engine to do? Would it mess with the timing, spark or fuel? Could it be my ECU? The ecu comes on but could it still be that? Thanks for any help.
Old 03-21-2005, 07:11 PM

Default Re: B16 swap won't start. help! (bob06)

honestly... does anyone know what the problem could be?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:31 AM

Green plug sounds like it might be for your knock sensor which is located below the intake manifold and just above your oil filter.
Picture: http://b16a.honda-perf.org/Tech/KNOCK.jpg

I know the first time I tried to start mine I had to crank a good bit before it finally fired.

One indicator of a bad ecu is a solid red, non-flashing light on the ecu.

Practically impossible to put a distributor in 180 out because the two posts on the distributor are different sizes and only fit the cam one way.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is it cranking at all? If it isnt, its obiviously your starter, but if it is, and its just not turning over, and your getting fuel and spark, try giving it some throttle when you try starting it. It took me several times to start mine up for the first time, but it turns out my map sensor was also bad. If all else fails, you could always try push starting it for the hell of it- u never know good luck
Old 03-22-2005, 07:05 AM

Default Re: B16 swap won't start. help! (naptownrex)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by naptownrex &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Is it cranking at all? If it isnt, its obiviously your starter, but if it is, and its just not turning over, and your getting fuel and spark, try giving it some throttle when you try starting it. It took me several times to start mine up for the first time, but it turns out my map sensor was also bad. If all else fails, you could always try push starting it for the hell of it- u never know good luck</TD></TR></TABLE>

Somewhere along these lines, try priming it with WD-40 or Carb Cleaner, obviously while giving it some throttle.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:51 PM

Default Re: B16 swap won't start. help! (iheartmyceeareks)

It is cranking and it will fire but it will never take off and acctually run. Teh knock sensor is hooked up. I had to wire it separately when I modified my D15 harness for vtec and mpfi. We have cranked the **** out of it and tried priming it with starter fluid. We are gonna do a compression test and acctaully set the timing sometime between tomorrow and this weekend cause i start easter break tomorrow. Then we will probably try push starting the hell out of it.
Old 03-22-2005, 07:54 PM
Skoobie no more...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A engine needs 4 things to start
Timing,
Fuel,
Spark
Compression.

Set up a compression tester and test that.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well just take the plugs out and cover up the holes and see if your hand pops out
if your gettin all the essentials then it has to be timing you can never skip over the timing