Notices

AWD Wagon to FWD for Swap

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2012, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AWD Wagon to FWD for Swap

I hope this isn't question...

My wagon is AWD, I have another thread regarding my engine problems and how I'm in the process of a swap, but I wanted to start something new regarding going from AWD to FWD.

I want to put at least a z6 into the wagon, possibly B something. I am familiar with what's needed to keep the AWD and swap in anything other than a d16a6/zc, and those steps seem a little too steep for what I have in my garage.

I'm thinking of trying to eliminate the AWD, use the chassis as a FWD at least until I can get the right stuff together and go back to the AWD.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: AWD Wagon to FWD for Swap

remove awd trans, drop drive shaft, done. leave the rear pumpkin and axles in if you're going to go back eventually. other wise do one of these two: take apart rear axles, leave the outer cups bolted to the hubs (so bearings don't come apart) or replace rear trailing arms with other civic/integra ones.

however, if you stay d series then you can keep the 4wd as the trans does bolt up to all the d series motors
Old 09-28-2012, 10:37 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

If he leaves the rear pumpkin intact for a long period of tie, would it be better to pull the gears out of it?
Or is just capping off the input for the drive shaft and change pumpkin gear oil as normal sufficient?
Not sure... just thinking out loud.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DCRB
remove awd trans, drop drive shaft, done. leave the rear pumpkin and axles in if you're going to go back eventually. other wise do one of these two: take apart rear axles, leave the outer cups bolted to the hubs (so bearings don't come apart) or replace rear trailing arms with other civic/integra ones.

however, if you stay d series then you can keep the 4wd as the trans does bolt up to all the d series motors
I thought the same thing, but I've read differently, I'd really like some clarification on this. If this is the case, my problems will be solved, just convert to obd1 and be done with it.
Originally Posted by 4drEF
If he leaves the rear pumpkin intact for a long period of tie, would it be better to pull the gears out of it?
Or is just capping off the input for the drive shaft and change pumpkin gear oil as normal sufficient?
Not sure... just thinking out loud.
I'm just spitballing, I don't know how long I'd have this swap or if I'm even going to for sure swap a B and completely abandon the AWD.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4g4dcruisin
I thought the same thing, but I've read differently, I'd really like some clarification on this. If this is the case, my problems will be solved, just convert to obd1 and be done with it.

I'm just spitballing, I don't know how long I'd have this swap or if I'm even going to for sure swap a B and completely abandon the AWD.
the only problem i see you running into is having to tap the half shaft bolt holes on the back of the block. i bought a z6 a while back and minus the water pump shape externally it is the same as an a6
Old 09-28-2012, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the only problem i see you running into is having to tap the half shaft bolt holes on the back of the block. i bought a z6 a while back and minus the water pump shape externally it is the same as an a6
The AWD uses the halfshaft similar to B series setups? So, I just have to tap the (assuming already located) holes on the back of the z6 block and I should be good to go for a straight swap?
Old 09-28-2012, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

here ya go:

http://www.civicwagon.com/showthread...o-RT4WD-Wagon&
Old 09-28-2012, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

only thing that is wrong in that write up is about the fast idle valve, the z6, depending on year, will have the fast idle valve (as mentioned in the write up) under the throttle body, as well as the iacv on the back. the o/p of that write up has the two confused, so do not discard the iacv wiring.

also, you will need to extend the wiring for the fan switch, from the back of the block (a6) to the thermostat housing (z6)
Old 09-28-2012, 11:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

only thing that is wrong in that write up is about the fast idle valve, the z6, depending on year, will have the fast idle valve (as mentioned in the write up) under the throttle body, as well as the iacv on the back. the o/p of that write up has the two confused, so do not discard the iacv wiring.

also, you will need to extend the wiring for the fan switch, from the back of the block (a6) to the thermostat housing (z6)
Thanks, I was just reading all of that. I don't know what I'm going to do yet. having to convert over to OBD1 and rewire certain things is such a hassle for such little gain.

I'm either getting a direct ZC replacement, or going all out with a B something, haven't decided.

The car has been garaged for about 2 months now, since overheating. My plan is to remove engine and discard completely. I'll keep the trans, just in case. Strip everything down, take and get the body work fixed a bit, painted, and then start on the engine.

So, I still have some time, just wanted to get ideas.