Notices

Automatic To Manual Swap...

Old 09-19-2010, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Automatic To Manual Swap...

here is the correct way to do the auto to manual swap-

here is the extra plate with clutch pedal bolt when it was on the 5 speed donor car

heres when i cut it out of the 5 speed and drilled out the spot welds so i could remove just the little support bar with the clutch pedal bolt on it

heres after i put the support bar with clutch pedal bolt in my auto car, bolted it in place, and drilled through the tunnel of the support bar and through the firewall--- i bolted it on intead of welding because you're right beside the fuel lines, haha)--- i was a little off when i put the support bar in, i thinks it a little too far down ( i ran into the fuel line gasket) and to close to the brake booster

here is what it looks like from the engine compartment with the clutch pedal cable put in the hole

to "brag" i am 17 years old and did this by myself, maybe i should just right up a whole pic tutorial on how to do an auto to manual swap

Last edited by gnxpro24; 11-11-2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 07:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

awesome job!!! kudos to you my friend! i wish i had done this earlier with my swap before my clutch cable started ripping a hole in my firewall and before i split 3 pedal assemblies in half and before i snapped 2 clutch cables or before ruining my JDM GSR tranny with LSD......now i gotta re-weld everything under there and do it the right way like you have done although, i would still recommend welding the support in place, maybe putting some aluminium foil or some type of copper foil to block the heat.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

wow, holy crap- i am glad that i did it right, see it always pays to do it right, but um yea i could weld it i just decided to bolt it, thankx btw

Last edited by gnxpro24; 09-20-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

does anyone knows how to make the reverse lights work? I don't want to run wires from the tail lights to the tranny.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:33 AM
N/A
Purpose Built

Is there a special tranny mount needed for this??
Old 08-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Good write up.
Old 11-11-2011, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the only thing about ef's are if you get and auto or manual car the subframe is for that type of tranny...my friend had to jimmy rigg his trans mount and his rear back mount
Old 11-11-2011, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by ef9allday
the only thing about ef's are if you get and auto or manual car the subframe is for that type of tranny...my friend had to jimmy rigg his trans mount and his rear back mount
Not true at all. All you have to do is get the manual transmission mount and bracket. No modification to the subframe is needed
Old 02-05-2016, 04:24 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

thank god for this old post
Old 04-03-2016, 05:41 PM
Trial User

Sorry to bring this back from the dead. I'm going to be doing this swap soon. The donor car is an 89 dx I believe, my car is a 91 special edition. Will the pedal assembly be different from the 2 cars? The donor has everything else I need (pedals, trans, cable, linkage, ecu, axles, clutch, flywheel, and console.). Is that everything I need? I wish someone would post a picture tutorial on it. Maybe I will when I start.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:53 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake Rylance
Sorry to bring this back from the dead. I'm going to be doing this swap soon. The donor car is an 89 dx I believe, my car is a 91 special edition. Will the pedal assembly be different from the 2 cars? The donor has everything else I need (pedals, trans, cable, linkage, ecu, axles, clutch, flywheel, and console.). Is that everything I need? I wish someone would post a picture tutorial on it. Maybe I will when I start.

Thanks in advance everyone.
Not sure about your specific year/trim level questions, but I did this a while ago: https://honda-tech.com/honda-crx-ef-...1220898/page2/

I'm still driving the car, FYI, and it's doing fine.

I also did a write up on another website for doing the transmission swap, but it looks like they moved everything over to a new website and lost the pics. Maybe it will help? http://www.fuelly.com/forums/f9/diy-...sion-2221.html
Old 01-16-2023, 07:16 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by DailyDriverCivic
I started my auto to 5-speed swap last night, and wanted to give a heads up to anyone planning this swap! I have searched and ran into many threads covering this swap, but not one mentioning the snafu I ran into while doing mine last night.

My goal last night was to get the pedal cluster in so the car could still be driven until I could put the actual trans in (This sat. if all goes as planned). The car that I am doing this in is a 90 EX sedan. The donor car was a 90 DX hatch. There are many differences in the 2 pedal clusters from the differently equipped vehicles (Aside from the additional pedal obviously). There is added componentry for the cruise control, and the gas pedal pivot point is about 1/4" different in position on the cruise control car compared to the non CC car. I worked with what I had since I already had torn the car apart, and cut/welded as needed (While also filling/smoothing and re-drilling the gas pedal pivot points). It was easy to see where the hole needed to be drilled for the new pivot as the CC piece I cut off of the old pedals, fits in where the pivot is, and actually has a slotted hole so that same weld on piece can be welded onto either pedal cluster. But had I known this ahead of time, I would have looked for an LX or EX 5-speed pedal cluster, and I recommend you do the same to ease your swap. I will post my results at the end of my swap along with all parts I needed to use to make it work successfully. I hope to have it finished saturday.

I will update this original post with a complete list of what all I needed so there can be a complete source for those searching, as I came up with none of this info after reading through about 20 threads on the topic.

UPDATE: Here is a list of everything I used to do the automatic to manual swap in my 1990 Civic EX sedan:

-5 Speed Transmission

-Clutch/Pressure plate/Flywheel/Hardware

-Clutch cable

-Manual pedal assembly with same options as your car (Cruise control for example)

-Front, side, and rear transmission mount brackets from 5 speed car, and the actual mount for the rear (Regardless of what people say, it is not needed to drop the rear x-member to do this rear mount, but if you don't have a decent set of tools, you may have to do this to get to the rear bolt.)

-I used the axles from the 5-speed because mine were toast, and I am assuming that you need them, but am not sure, I will edit this when someone confirms.

-I was able to retain my stock throttle cable, but I had to built a pedal assembly out of the auto and manual one (Lots of cutting/welding), and ended up using the auto throttle pedal, so I am unsure if it is common to re-use the same throttle cable, again, I will edit this when someone confirms.

-I used the stock auto speedo cable with no issues.

-Connect the 2 larger black wires that go to the shift position switch in the automatic. These wires are for the starter. In the auto car, they are only connected when the car is in nuetral or park. Solder these two wires together and heat shrink. Use a butt connector if you want to just ghetto rig it together.

-If you have cruise control, the pink wire going to the shift indicator switch is supposed to be wired through the clutch pedal switch. On the auto car, it indicates that the shifter is in a forward gear, and not in P,R, or N. That switch breaks ground when the clutch is pressed and kills the cruise control. You can just ground this wire under the center console, and cruise will work again, but if you press the clutch while in cruise mode while driving, the motor will rev trying to accelerate! I suggest you hook up the 2 wires on the clutch pedal switch to this pink wire and ground for it to be hooked up and operate properly.

-You will get a code 19 and a "check engine light". This is for the torque converter lock up solenoid on the PS9 auto ECU (For my D16A6 Motor anyway, the 1.5 may have a different auto ECU). The car will still run and drive fine, but getting the manual ECU for you car, and cutting off the auto wiring from the harness will eliminate this issue.

-You will need to ground the Green/White wire from the shift indicator switch, this indicates that the car is in "park", and will allow you to remove the ignition key. The alternative is to swap to the 5 speed ignition switch, but you may not want to end up having separate ignition, and door keys if your car currently uses one key.

-There will be a small hole (about 2x8"'s or so) left over in front og the 5 speed shifter when you are done. This was for the auto shift cable to go through the floor. It is best to just remove the metal piece that was originaly in that hole, and make a new panel out of a flat piece of sheet metal. You should just attatch it to the bottom of the car with self tapper sheet metal screws, pop rivets, or something, making sure to put seam sealer around the perimiter of the plate you just made prior to attatching it. It should be undercoated after the seam sealer has dried. This will make for a permanent fix for that hole.

-I will update as I recall other things. I want this to become a true "go to" source for people doing this swap in the future with all of the needed info.

Modified by DailyDriverCivic at 2:15 PM 3/8/2008

Modified by DailyDriverCivic at 5:13 PM 3/10/2008
would it be possible to get a picture of the cutting/welding needed, doing 5spd swap on my 88 lx and cannot find an assembly earlier than 1990 and without cc, appreciate it