Notices

Auto tranny not aware that it's in park; keys locked in ignition

Old 02-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 Auto tranny not aware that it's in park; keys locked in ignition

Whenever it's cold out, my auto EX has trouble realizing that it's in park. I'll shift into park, but the "P" light on the dash won't light up and both the shifter and the key in the ignition will get locked up. I can turn the engine off, but I can't turn the key to "0." The car has no problem telling what gear it's in for every other gear, it only gets confused with park.

I zip-tied the shift lock disengage to be permanently pressed, hoping to get around the problem since there's no issue with the gears, it's only that the car doesn't know it's in park, but that only freed up the shifter; the keys still get locked in the ignition.

I know that jiggling the shifter helps the car to realize that it's in park, but there are some days where I could jiggle the shifter for 15 minutes and still have no luck. Winters in NE are long enough that it's becoming quite a nuisance.

Is there any way to override the necessity for the car to be in park before you can take the keys out of the ignition? I've searched around, but haven't found any answers. Thanks for the help!
Old 02-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Auto tranny not aware that it's in park; keys locked in ignition

u need to adjust yur shift linkage,
i believe
Old 02-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I know when I went from auto to.Manuel in my delsol I ad the problem of not being able to start nor pull key out of ignition. They do have some wires that are connected to a clip under the center console . You probly have a bad sensor but look up the wire diagram should be able to find the wires and link them together . Like from car harness back to it self good luck
Old 02-05-2013, 06:31 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

The sensor that tells the car which gear it is in needs to be adjusted. Its on the gear selector
Old 02-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds like a similar problem to the 90-93 acura integra.
It usually is the shift selector switch.
Contacts are dry. clean it up and use di-electric grease. should help if thats the problem
Old 02-05-2013, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Do the input tests in the diagram. If all are fine, replace the control unit.
Attached Images   
Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

after you try to take keep out an it doesn't let you... hit the break an try again... if so its your break switch. much easier then testing all these diagrams.
Old 02-05-2013, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EfyourK
after you try to take keep out an it doesn't let you... hit the break an try again... if so its your break switch. much easier then testing all these diagrams.
Not a definitive test^ whereas the electrical tests are (and also simple).
Old 02-05-2013, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Might not be a "definitive" test.. but if it work it is a definitive test... start at the easy things then work you way on to the more complex ideas.
Old 02-05-2013, 12:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EfyourK
Might not be a "definitive" test.. but if it work it is a definitive test... start at the easy things then work you way on to the more complex ideas.
You don't seem to understand the interlock system (shift lock and key interlock). The brake pedal signal is ONLY needed to shift out of park (shift lock system). The OP has disabled the shift lock mechanism but the key interlock system is still stuck with the transmission in park. Therefore, a brake pedal switch issue is not preventing the key from being removed from the ignition switch.

Doing the input tests in the diagram will probably lead to a bad shift position console switch causing the key interlock problem.

The shift lock problem may be a separate issue, but again, doing the input tests will almost surely pinpoint that problem as well.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Former User; 02-05-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
You don't seem to understand the interlock system (shift lock and key interlock). The brake pedal signal is ONLY needed to shift out of park (shift lock system). The OP has disabled the shift lock mechanism but the key interlock system is still stuck with the transmission in park. Therefore, a brake pedal switch issue is not preventing the key from being removed from the ignition switch.

Doing the input tests in the diagram will probably lead to a bad shift position console switch causing the key interlock problem.

The shift lock problem may be a separate issue, but again, doing the input tests will almost surely pinpoint that problem as well.
So if I were to disengage the interlock solenoid, that would essentially solve the problem?
Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How do you plan to disengage the solenoid?

My recommendation is that you avoid jury rigging. Instead do the input tests in my earlier post to pinpoint the problem(s) and then repair the system so that it works properly.

The circuit diagram below may also help.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Former User; 02-06-2013 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RonJ@HT
My recommendation is that you avoid jury rigging. Instead do the input tests in my earlier post to pinpoint the problem(s) and then repair the system so that it works properly.

The circuit diagram below may also help.
Seeing as the problem occurs only in the cold and no other time, could there be something else at play aside from a faulty shift position switch? I feel as if the problem would be more consistent were something actually faulty.
Old 02-06-2013, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Match Box
Seeing as the problem occurs only in the cold and no other time, could there be something else at play aside from a faulty shift position switch? I feel as if the problem would be more consistent were something actually faulty.
Faulty is faulty. Intermittent faulty is still faulty. Get a multimeter and be ready to do the input tests whenever the problem arises. That's the way you logically solve problems. Don't rely on bubble gum and baling wire to solve your car problems -- 2 cents from this experienced knucklehead.