Notices

Another CRX down for the count - no crank problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2012, 07:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Icon3 Another CRX down for the count - no crank problem

Howdy,

I see 500 people have this issue so i googled and gathered as much info as i can by myself but seeing mine is going a different direction I decided to post and go from there.

My 90 Crx Si doesn't crank over when i turn the key to crank it. fuel pump primes, clicking noise heard under dash.

Ok this is where I'm at. I checked the ecu, battery, alternator and starter signal fuses. Good.

All wiring on engine, battery and starter. Good.

I jumped the clutch safety switch with a safety clip, will that be enough to jump it?. Otherwise no crank. Just click from under dash.

I jumped the starter solenoid. Car started and was cooking some rice. Everything worked. lights, signals you name it.

So. The only thing left. Is the main relay and ignition switch that im aware of. Or is there a seperate relay for starter? There is no click from main relay when i turn the key to crank it.

How do i test the relay and ignition switch? Is there a way to bypass the ignition switch to see if it cranks cquse if it cranks then that means the relays are good?

Any help gladly appreciated!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Another CRX down for the count

Originally Posted by RanCRX
I jumped the clutch safety switch with a safety clip, will that be enough to jump it?
Did you check whether the rubber stopper that presses on the safety switch at the top of the clutch pedal has fallen out?

Also, you must mention in the thread title what the tech problem is. Title edited.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Another CRX down for the count - no crank problem

Thank you for replying. I actually replaced the bushing not too long ago. It is still there and intact. Just incase it wasnt pressing the switch in i decided to go underneath and hold the switch with my finger and turn the key but didnt work. That is when i decided to jump the switches connector with a safety clip and still didnt crank.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have you tested the ignition switch?

Have you checked the transmission ground?

If you run a wire from the + battery post to the starter solenoid, does the starter crank?
Old 09-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I haven't tested the ignition switch. Not sure how to.

Transmission ground good and clean.

I used a screwdriver from power to ignition studs of the solenoid and it fired right up
Old 09-30-2012, 08:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by RanCRX

I used a screwdriver from power to ignition studs of the solenoid and it fired right up
This^ tells you that voltage does not reach the starter solenoid when you turn the key. Start here:

Old 09-30-2012, 09:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks a ton. Will post results tomorrow after work
Old 10-01-2012, 12:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

random tip: i tried to add a neutral safety switch to my 88 hatch, and the relay was bad, so i deleted it. might be something to look into, it's below the main relay above the hood latch under the dash.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I think I know what relay you are refering to. I'll check it as well. THis relay you mentioned, is it a starter relay/ Ignition relay? Anywhere in that name incase it is bad, I'll replace it with a new one.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well i took out the starter relay and tested it. It clicked and was recieving voltage. I did it a few times and it seems good.

I put back in the relay and now the car starts. Not sure if i can test the ignition switch with it working again. Gonna test it anyhow. what a pain.

I rather isolate the issue now so I dont have to worry about it.

Last edited by RanCRX; 10-01-2012 at 06:13 PM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the symptom is returning again. I wonder if the alarm has anything to do with it.

The relay clicks when I turn the key to start but nothing from the starter. I jumped the starter manually and walaa.

If anyone has this issue or any ideas let me know. It works whenever it wants to like it has a mind of its own
Old 01-31-2013, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Same exact issue here, but mine is intermittent. It usually only happens when the engine is warm, but doesnt always happen. Fuel pump primes and everything works (lights, radio, all electrics), but nothing from the starter. If I jump the starter solenoid from the battery + it will crank right up. Not getting voltage to the starter solenoid, but not sure why :/

I have tried another ignition switch, but not sure if it was good or bad. Didnt change the problem.

Last edited by F22Master; 02-01-2013 at 06:45 AM.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

How are your batteries? Have them load tested just to be sure they're ok. I'm guessing they aren't the problem but its important to rule them out. I was recently fooled by a weak battery since i skipped the load test.

To properly test the starter relay you'll need to check for continuity between the 2 post on the left (looking at it with the release tab up) with voltage applied to the 2 posts on the right. make sure it has continuity, just because its clicking doesn't always mean its good.

Rancrx if you were able to start the car by jumping the starter you'll want to check for an "open" (broken wire) in the Black /white wire circuit between the starter and the ignition switch and its connectors, check the ignition switch.

But the fact that unplugging the starter relay and plugging it back in and it made your car run, leads me to think the female end of the starter relay might have a loose pin or a broken wire near it. Jiggle those wires while you try to start it to see if it has any effect, and take a good look at it as well.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Random advice:

Next time this issue happens, smack the starter a few times with a hammer and then try starting it again. I've chased electrical problems for weeks only to find an electrical component "on its way out". Probably not the solution, but something easy to try.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well not sure if it is the issue but the conneector that connects to the starter, just needed to be pinched a little bit for a tight fit. Will update if it is not the issue. Thanks for the replies also!
Old 02-02-2013, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can jump the solenoid on the starter and it cranks....doesnt that mean your solenoid is bad and you need a starter(since they are attached to each other)?

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
Old 02-02-2013, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Tim512001
If you can jump the solenoid on the starter and it cranks....doesnt that mean your solenoid is bad and you need a starter(since they are attached to each other)?

Posted from Honda-tech.com App for Android
No this jumping still uses the solenoid, your statrer is working as it should. What this points to is a short or "open" in the Black/White wire circuit between the starter and the ignition switch and its connectors, or the ignition switch.