Notices

Air conditioning isn't cold ALL OF A SUDDEN, what happened?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2003, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air conditioning isn't cold ALL OF A SUDDEN, what happened?

About two days ago, the air conditioning in the car was very cold. I then took off the resonator. It was the day after that i noticed air conditioning was not quite conditioning the air--it felt like air outside of the car. And all i did when i took off the resonator was to pull off the Y boot thingy, so i shouldn't have messed with anything. What could be wrong? Out of freon, or some compressor failure?

UPDATE - Got it fixed a store, but then:

BIG PROBLEM. The air con is warm again! They searched for leaks with the sensor, but i guess they didn't find it. Either way, i'm guessing it's a HUGE hole somewhere, because i think all ~2 pounds of the freon is damn near gone!

Modified by TurboRedSi at 11:58 PM 7/19/2003

Modified by TurboRedSi at 3:24 AM 7/21/2003
Old 07-19-2003, 02:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air conditioning isn't cold ALL OF A SUDDEN, what happened? (TurboRedSi)

Probably just low on freon, if its a 134a systen go grab a can.
Old 07-19-2003, 05:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air conditioning isn't cold ALL OF A SUDDEN, what happened? (blah13)

man, you ran out of blinker fluid, you shoulda bought the jdm kind lol

back on topic, if it is an r12 system simply go to a local parts store and pick up an r134 conversion kit and convert it (took me 10 minutes to do and i even was messing around while changing), if it is already an r134 a/c unit then simply buy a can and a refill kit
Old 07-19-2003, 06:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Air conditioning isn't cold ALL OF A SUDDEN, what happened? (stingray2772)

down here in nc parts placed claim they can sell freon to the general public.
Old 07-19-2003, 07:21 PM

Default Re: Air conditioning isn't cold ALL OF A SUDDEN, what happened? (slywfbpsi)

a shot in the dark but this happend a few times with my old integra and turns out it was just a fuse... give it a shot
Old 07-19-2003, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air conditioning isn't cold ALL OF A SUDDEN, what happened? (TurboRedSi)

it could be the compressor clutch relay. if you are sure the compressor clutch works then check the wires at the relay. if you jump the BLK/YEL and YEL side with a paper clip does the relay engage the clutch? (this will only work with the A/C switch closed and the ignition turned to START)

it could be the pressure switch, or the thermostat also. basically these two work in series. if your thermostat or pressure switch are not working, your compressor clutch won't engage either.

hth,
Jason
Old 07-19-2003, 10:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air conditioning isn't cold ALL OF A SUDDEN, what happened? (sleeper4dr)

Yea, change it over. Mine did that, and had good pressure with the r12. I replaced it after evacuating all of the old stuff, and my AC was very cold again.
Old 07-19-2003, 11:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Alrighty, even though it's uncommon that AC goes from cold to warm over a day, i found out that i was damn near out of freon. I had it evacuated and refilled at a place in Alhambra for 40 bucks!
Old 07-19-2003, 11:41 PM

Default Re: Air conditioning isn't cold ALL OF A SUDDEN, what happened? (blah13)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by blah13 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Probably just low on freon, if its a 134a systen go grab a can.</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 07-20-2003, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

BIG PROBLEM. The air con is warm again! They searched for leaks with the sensor, but i guess they didn't find it. Either way, i'm guessing it's a HUGE hole somewhere, because i think all ~2 pounds of the freon is damn near gone!
Old 07-20-2003, 07:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (TurboRedSi)

if it's THAT big of a hole then the people you took your car to are idiots. how did the system even pressurize the first time you took it there?

you should buy a cheapo A/C pressure gauge from a parts store for like $8 bucks. start the car and hook it up to the low pressure side (which is the higher of the two lines in the engine bay) and check it yourself. i believe it should be ~40psi+
Old 07-21-2003, 04:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just went back for a checkup, and another guy at the same store found the leak. Said the part would cost 70-ish dollars. But since the part is behind the compressor/radiator, the whole deal will cost 300 to fix. This includes the replacement parts, labor, and refill of r12.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks to be you.
Nows a good time to buy a set of tools and learn how to use them.
Take your bumper off, and replace whatever part is leaking with a suitible
part from the junkyard.
Its not rocket science. Just get what you need at the yard, and install it. Pretty
much all the fittings in the A/C system have o-rings. Those will set you back a
whopping few cents a piece also.
Old 07-21-2003, 07:31 PM

Default Re: Air conditioning isn't cold ALL OF A SUDDEN, what happened? (rioninja)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rioninja &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Sucks to be you.
Nows a good time to buy a set of tools and learn how to use them.
Take your bumper off, and replace whatever part is leaking with a suitible
part from the junkyard.
Its not rocket science. Just get what you need at the yard, and install it. Pretty
much all the fittings in the A/C system have o-rings. Those will set you back a
whopping few cents a piece also. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well said....Dont you hate paying people to work on your car? Start learning.
Old 07-21-2003, 08:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Air conditioning isn't cold ALL OF A SUDDEN, what happened? (Ef *****)

I really want to do this, but the only problem is that i'm not sure which part is is. He pointed to the main pipe/hose that leads off from the compressor (the one on the left), but he also said that it ran through the condensor and something else. I went to majestic honda to look at their diagrams on AC, but it was a bad scan.