Notices

91 si manual transmission gear issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 05:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 91 si manual transmission gear issues

i'm have some problems getting into reverse and 3rd at times. All the gears are a little rough but not crazy hard to get them into gear. i was wondering what i could do to help fix this problem. Would draining and refilling my tranny help? it has 119k on it with original fluid i think.

i checked the fill hole today to see if it had enough fluid and some started pouring out of the fill hold so im guessing it had enough maybe even a little to much seeing as some came out.

any help would be great

its a stock 91 crx si d16a6
Old 05-10-2010, 05:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 91 si manual transmission gear issues

try changing out the old fluid with brand new honda mtf fluid...it uses 1.9 quarts to fill it up...!!!
Old 05-10-2010, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would simply use supertech 10w30 from Walmart. 1.9L and you're set! Buy a 4L jug for 12 bucks!
Old 05-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by michael-crxsi
i'm have some problems getting into reverse and 3rd at times. All the gears are a little rough but not crazy hard to get them into gear. i was wondering what i could do to help fix this problem. Would draining and refilling my tranny help? it has 119k on it with original fluid i think.

i checked the fill hole today to see if it had enough fluid and some started pouring out of the fill hold so im guessing it had enough maybe even a little to much seeing as some came out.

any help would be great

its a stock 91 crx si d16a6
If when you go to put it in to gear it blocks u out and sounds like a buzzsaw then It would be ur synchros are worn.
If its just a little clunking and rough when entering gears then look at your linkage itself. Make sure ur bushing where the bolt goes through your linkage to the tranny is solid, and the long rectangular bushing near the back of ur shifter is solid. If the bigger bushing is overtighened then it can cause u problems when moving left to right and extending into gear, or cause it to pop out of gear.
But change the fluid out and see how it does, but it doesnt sound like the issue.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by EF_typeR
If when you go to put it in to gear it blocks u out and sounds like a buzzsaw then It would be ur synchros are worn.
If its just a little clunking and rough when entering gears then look at your linkage itself. Make sure ur bushing where the bolt goes through your linkage to the tranny is solid, and the long rectangular bushing near the back of ur shifter is solid. If the bigger bushing is overtighened then it can cause u problems when moving left to right and extending into gear, or cause it to pop out of gear.
But change the fluid out and see how it does, but it doesnt sound like the issue.
wow very good info thanks

its a little bit of both at times. it is rough going into all gears sometimes but not all and it does block me out at times but then ill try again and it will just fel like its really rough trying to put it in. it never pops out of gear tho. is there any way you could show me pics of what to check in the linkage? this is my first time messing with the tranny

but should i change the fluid anyways?
Old 05-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could try replacing the fluid with new stuff, but honestly dont expect anything miraculous. if you want these issues to stop you will most likely have to get another transmission.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by michael-crxsi
wow very good info thanks

its a little bit of both at times. it is rough going into all gears sometimes but not all and it does block me out at times but then ill try again and it will just fel like its really rough trying to put it in. it never pops out of gear tho. is there any way you could show me pics of what to check in the linkage? this is my first time messing with the tranny

but should i change the fluid anyways?
Well Hard shifting could be caused by:
bent linkage, worn linkage, worn synchronizers, worn shift fork

Well when u start the process of shifting into a gear, Ur input shaft (turning from engine) is turning at a diff speed that ur actuall gear shaft (turning the wheels). so to equal that out inside the tranny is synchro rings and sleeves. when u shift towards a gear the sleeve slides the ring into the actual gear and slows down or speeds up the gear to the same speed as the engine, so the shift would be smooth. If the synchro rings are worn then they dont slow the gear down thats when u get the buzzing/grinding sound, that will happen untill the gear slows down itself and then will slide into gear. But also sometimes a worn synchro will lead to popping out of gear too.

The linkage can cause alot of shifting problems too.
Check this bushing from ur linkage to the tranny.

Also check the bushing at the rear of the shift linkage (towards back of car)

Make sure this buushing is not overtightened cus if so it will restrict the shifter movement.
And you can buy both bushings brand new from (http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...prod=16%2E1102) for like 13 bucks shipped.

But as a precaution I would always change ur fluid. Why not right.

[Pics supplyed by energysuspensionparts.com]