Notices

'91 Honda Civic DX Stutter/Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 AM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '91 Honda Civic DX Stutter/Hesitation

Hello all, so I recently purchased a 1991 honda civic DX. Test drive went fine (my fault, didn't drive the car long enough), but on the drive home it began to have some problems. (of course) The car bogs down and stutters for a few seconds; when you let off the gas and downshift, or just give it a few seconds, it regathers itself and continues along. This happens when the car is at low rpms, shifting gears, and sometimes just randomly going down the road. First gear seems to be most prone to the hesitation. Also, the car does not start smoothly, it stutters and starts in bogs, and sometimes you have to give it a little gas in order for it to start.

If you accelerate slowly, it doesn't hesitate as much, but punching the gas when the car is at low RPMs is an almost guarantee that it will stutter.

Also, when the car first starts up it runs better then it does a minute or two later, but once the car is at average heat it doesn't get any worse.

I even drove the car to work the other day and back, and it made it, just was a little scary at times due to the hesitation.

Now, on to what I have done in my attempts to fix it.

New plugs/wires
New fuel filter
Cleaned out IACV (CEL light 14 was on, cleaned it out and put it back in and now the light is off, but the problem remains)
New Cap/Rotor
Tested Ignition Coil (checked out fine)
Tested ICM (Took it to autozone and the guy ran it a few times to be sure, it checked out fine)
Ran engine cleaner through it (Lucas Tune up stuff)
Put new gas in it

Could it be the main relay? And if so how do I check it?

Let me know if you need any additional information; thanks for the help!
Old 01-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Trial User

Default Re: '91 Honda Civic DX Stutter/Hesitation

bump
Old 01-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: '91 Honda Civic DX Stutter/Hesitation

https://honda-tech.com/forums/honda-crx-ef-civic-1988-1991-3/dont-neglect-changing-your-pcv-valve-2494469/

hope this helps, also check for leaks on the intake side of the engine, there is a vacum leak machine that some mechanics have, maybe you can rent one or pay to run it thru your car (intake system)

chao!