Notices

90 crx starter problems

Old 03-09-2009, 11:05 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 90 crx starter problems

hey everyone!

alright, so I am having problems with the new starter on my b18c. on a cold start up of course the starter will engage and crank the engine. but, after taking my car for a drive, on a hot start up the starter just clicks.

I have replaced the starter 3 times already. the first time i got a denso first time fit, then I thought the solenoid was bad, which it was, then the second time i exchanged the starter was a denso again....but was a bad starter, and then got the bosch.

It's funny because with the old starter(mitsuba) everything seems to work fine on a hot start up. the reason why I got a new starter though was because I thought it was the starter the first time the car didn't start.....however, come to find out it was just the neutral safety bump stop. haha! anyway, I just kept the new starter in and saved the old starter for a backup just in case. connections are fine and clean but, the new starter still not engaging when hot.

Did some voltmeter tests:

Battery - 12.5v
Alternator - 14.2v
Starter solenoid small wire - 11.5v, should be 12v

I'm just curious of why this only happens to the new starter and not the old starter. I guess I need more voltage to crank the new starter? could it be the ignition switch?

any help I can get is greatly appreciated from you all!
Old 03-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: 90 crx starter problems

my buddy has a 90 crx and his starter is just clicking too exceptshis does it all the time so we replaced the starter and the batery and the starter still just clicks can anyone help me out pleease
Old 03-10-2009, 10:47 AM

Default Re: 90 crx starter problems

when you say "click" do you mean the same sound as if you have a dead battery? Is it just one click or a series of clicking sounds when you turn the key?
Old 03-10-2009, 01:17 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Let's clear some things up. Did you do the volt test with the car running? If not then your tests are B.S. because what you put can't be true. No matter what the voltage at the alternator will be equal or less than the battery voltage with the car off. Then if the car is running the voltage should be the same at the alternator and the batter. You should check the voltage at the starter when you are trying to crank it. Almost sounds like bad cable to the starter, or bad ground on the started, or even though you may think not a bad battery. Do some checking and tell us what you find.

Also a bad ignition switch will not even allow it to go "clicky click".
Old 03-10-2009, 06:22 PM
New User

sorry about that guys!

the battery is 12.5v with the car off
the alternator is 14.2v with the car on
the cable to solenoid is 11.5v when at start

the starter just clicks once when the engine is hot. my brother-in-law helped me put an extra ground wire from the negative battery post but that still didnt work. i did take the battery for testing at Sears and the guy said the battery was still good and recharged it for me.

gonna check into it more today and let you guys know!

thanks guys!
Old 03-10-2009, 06:27 PM

i swear ive had this problem before, i cant remember right now what the problem was! ILL DO SOME THINKING! LOL
Old 03-10-2009, 06:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i had a intermittent problem like this I added a new 8ga ground directly from the frame to the alternator. also when its hot and not starting, remove the small wire wire(signal wire) from the starter and jump a piece of wire from the battery to the starter and see if it starts. if it does start then your ignition switch is bad and not letting the voltage through when it heats up
Old 03-11-2009, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ok on my friends crx we put new starter in and new battery and still clicks rapidly with no cranking of the motor what do u sugest i do do u think is a ground or the signal wire should i run a ground and a jumper wire from the singnal wire to the batt