Notices

90 Civic DX - Low fuel pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90 Civic DX - Low fuel pressure?

I have a 1990 Honda Civic DX (no mods except for a test pipe) with the following issue:
When attempting to give the car any gas from 2nd through 4th (cant get it fast enough for 5th) the engine bucks and jerks really hard, and feels like its not getting enough gas for the amount of air coming in. The more I push down on the pedel, the worse it gets. If I push it hard enough, the check engine light will come on and the the ECU LED flashes 1 flash (indicates oxygen mixture problem ?). This all seems to be around 2,000 to 2,500 rpms, and I can't seem to get it to go over 2500 in anything but first gear without it cutting out.

At idle, the exhaust sound seems to sound like the car is miss firing, or some sort of a delayed fire, but it is very faint. I am also able to rev the car to 2,500 rpms without the engine cutting out. The problem really just makes itself evident when under any load. I would also note that I will not rev beyond 3,500 rpms, and acts like that is the rev limiter (don't know if that is correct for this car).

A little back ground on this car is that it has been sitting for about 2 years until I recently completed the engine rebuild. When first starting the car, the fuel pump would not turn on. The pump was replaced and I appear to have plenty of fuel pressure (at least at idle). When first attempting to drive the car, the problem above started.

What has been done / new parts / parts replaced:

- Checked operation of the tandem diaphragm (works fine)
- Replaced fuel filter twice. First replacement after attempting to drive the car, the filter was full of rust deposits. Later replacement and check appeared clean.
- Replaced spark plugs, wires, cap, and rotor button.
- Replaced Fuel injectors
- Checked for vacuum leaks
- O2 sensor is new (Denso)
- Checked fuel pressure at idle (around 35 - 40 psi)
- Added sea foam to the gas tank

My next thoughts (since this feels like a fuel issue) is to drop the gas tank again and check for any sediment and then maybe replace the tank, but before I shot gun any more parts at this, is there something else that I may be overlooking?