Notices

89 crx: battery light flicker/sputter at 1k rpm/CEL downhill coast at idle/

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 03:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 89 crx: battery light flicker/sputter at 1k rpm/CEL downhill coast at idle/

My 1989 CRX HF is sputtering, battery light flickers and I've also noticed that when I go down a hill it sputters at the 1/4 throttle and then when I mash on the accelerator it has hesitation and then it kind of like catches up and then accelerates what seems to be normal. I'll also be in 5th gear or any gear for this matter at just below 1k rpm with the 1/4 throttle and it does the same thing until it catches up and I mash on the gas, it seems like it's a little less than 1/4 throttle. I've replaced the dizzy cap and rotor, spark plugs, replaced the TPS switch checked and double checked the timing checked compression a little while back, cleaned I think the throttle body and replaced the fuel filter. Can't figure it out. It's like it's not getting enough/ too much fuel or there's no spark or the spark is not hot enough. There was some carbon build up in my distributor (I think this might be normal though) And my battery light will some times flash on and off almost with the firing of the engine when it's around the 1k rpm mark. My check engine light will come on when I'm downhill and off the gas (just idling downhill), I don't know if it comes on because it's lean or too rich. I'd like to think all these symptoms are related, but that would make it too easy I hope!! I had auto zone check the alternator and they said it's "ok" and the battery is less than a year old I didn't really trust their check though!!! The battery light comes on sporadically at the 1k rpm. What gives anyone, are there any tests I can do to narrow it down??????
Old 04-29-2011, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 89 crx: battery light flicker/sputter at 1k rpm/CEL downhill coast at idle/

I also checked the gap in my spark plugs and they're all to specs. However, I did notice a little bit of oil on the plugs near the threads it was all superficial and my plugs were a little burnt brown near the base above the threads on the ceramic part. Any thoughs???
Old 04-29-2011, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 89 crx: battery light flicker/sputter at 1k rpm/CEL downhill coast at idle/

Probably the distributor. Pull apart the big plug at the distributor and check the resistance of the three sensors in it - they are TDC/CRANK/CYL sensors (not necessarily in that order). Across pins: A-B, C-D, and E-F resistance should be 350-550 ohms, if not, replace the dizzy.

Last edited by Cameron R; 04-29-2011 at 10:53 AM. Reason: plug location is....
Old 04-29-2011, 10:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mreej
I also checked the gap in my spark plugs and they're all to specs. However, I did notice a little bit of oil on the plugs near the threads it was all superficial and my plugs were a little burnt brown near the base above the threads on the ceramic part. Any thoughs???
Probably not the problem, but clean it up and re-test. Oil down in the spark plug holes can cause misfiring.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the suggestions. Haven't had time to check it out yet I should be able to let you guys know what's going on after this weekend? Cameron R, what led you to believe it's the distributor, was it the battery light or something else?