Notices

Long nights, empty wallet, mad wife...and it was worth it :)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 01:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Long nights, empty wallet, mad wife...and it was worth it :)

After quite a while i finally got my dohc zc going a couple months ago, was a big project on my 91 lx. Interior was stripped to nothing but a dash and shifter. Still not completely done, back door panels need to be painted along with the doors, trunk, hood, and bumpers, but it's coming nicely i think, it was nearly scrap metal when i got it, and still need to redo some body work but it'll fly for now. Had big hole in the dash, all kinds of just mean *** stuff to do to a car, but regardless, i'm just happy another one made it clear of the crusher! Specs as follows: jdm dohc zc, automatic(for now, no sense in trashing a good trans) had header-back, now turbo waiting on radiator....all budget built with autozone this and that..new dizzy cps, a lot of trips to the hardware stores and salvage yard, and my new best friend...ebay...turbo kit/old headers/oil catch can/turbo timer/tires(general altimax..decent for the price and on stock 13")/"monogrammed" valve caps from hong kong/new valve stems/eg aluminum auto radiator and slimline fan/auto pg7 ecu/and i got the zc off ebay as well, through tigerjapanese(not recommended) along with a couple dozen busted knuckes and i'm pretty sure my wife wants a divorce...and i could care less! haha just kidding, she puts up with it cause i make everything red lol....and yes i know my car is very dirty, i live in arkansas and dirt roads are fun!
Attached Images           
Old 10-13-2011, 04:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Long nights, empty wallet, mad wife...and it was worth it :)

how does the zc run with the turbo?
Old 10-13-2011, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

was that steamed or fried rice?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:10 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I see the "before" pictures, but where are the "after" pictures?
Old 10-13-2011, 05:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

mexican rice!
Old 10-13-2011, 07:30 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In for the dericing build.

Your wife will stay with you because she knows you have no chance in the universe of getting with another woman as long as your car looks like that.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

haven't run with the turbo yet, waiting on radiator...and haha...but ya know, when you don't have much you make due with what you can afford...fk the haters...the motor was strong with ebay headers, i wanted to see if the ebay turbos were any good and i'll soon get my answer, if it is even halfway decent at 8 psi kickass! if it's not then oh well. And lol about the trash talking on paint...like i said it's a work in progress...and my wife wanted these colors, i wanted black, she wanted red, gotta make compromises to keep a marriage going lol. Besides, what is black, excluding the wing has been painted and looks good. And it was a set of speedy (spoon style) wheels or turbo so fk it. And i'm not mexican...if i were it would be an autozone muffler on stock exhaust piping, a wing that sits 2 feet off the trunk, and rims that cost more than the car is worth...instead i'm a gearhead by nature and welder by trade so i have an autozone muffler on 2.25" pipes i jacked from a chevy pickup, a wing that came off a 92 accord at the local pick n pull, and stock steelies with new rubber - not the best performance tires but for the price...i'll use all day long. the whole point of this build was to make a fun daily driver with decent gas mileage and straighten the body back up and make a weekend sleeper out of it, wife would kill me if i spent 1500 on the turbonetics kit, not to mention all the baer brakes and tein suspension that i want to do, you can hate on the color combo, that's cool, don't care, it's what i want, but you can't hate on the fact that i have an actual jdm motor, albeit auto but fk it! not going to get rid of a strong trans. it's no more mexican rice than any of your guys' cars...still took a lot of time, blood, sweat, and fair amount of cash to get it where it's at...about 3.5k or so including original price of the car. and it'll definitely smoke all the actual "i've got a wing and muffler" stock d15 riceburners that go down the streets around here. furthermore, if you have negative comments to leave, do it elsewhere please, cause i don't go to a shop to have anything done...period...and for what i have to work with and amount of cash i can put into it at any given time, it's cherry, little more paint is all it needs. i've learned more than most people on here will ever know about their engine, inside and out. not to mention it should dyno probably around 200 or a little less to the wheels, only plan on running 6-8 psi, daily drivers still need decent gas mileage.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
I see the "before" pictures, but where are the "after" pictures?
I think those are the "after" pics :/ Judging by the description anyway.

I'm definitely not a fan of the interior, but to each his own.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

200 whp out of a stock ZC and 8 psi from an ebay turbo?

I doubt it.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

"Arkansas, Autozone, 200whp Automatic..."

Looks like one of dem der Good Ole boys got himself a hold of a civic and read too many super street mags from 2001
Old 10-13-2011, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Also needs some yellow interior paint to compliment the all the red pieces..
Old 10-13-2011, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spug
200 whp out of a stock ZC and 8 psi from an ebay turbo?

I doubt it.
well...i figure stock zc makes around 130+ new, with my compression results, should be close, at least 120+...turbo is a t3/4 .50/.64 ar, the specs are pretty much completely identical to that of the turbonetics t3/4 i wanted. also said it was good to 25 psi, so yeah i imagine 8 psi would be quite do-able lol...2.25 exhaust, will upgrade to 2.5 soon enough, bout to get new wires, has new plugs, royal purple lubes, 97 octane gas..how would it not have the potential to make 200? on low boost maybe more around 175 or so bump it up to 8-9 it should hit pretty damn close to 200. a turbo isn't really that hard of a thing to engineer...when i lived in missouri there was this company called gardner-denver and they made blowers for everything, would even custom make it for your app, along with all kinds of machinery superchargers and compressors, but they made a weiland 8-71 supercharger look like an air horn on a 69 camaro, and the process of making compressors is nothing more than properly placed housings and a turbine propeller. the company i ordered mine from has seen awesome results on stuff like evos and subies, if it's good enough for an evo, it's good enough for my old school civic, and they advertise an around .02 psi pressure drop to the intercooler, i've seen where even the best companies like hks drop more than that to the intercooler, so it'll spool faster. i/c piping does need to be welded, but it'll be ok for now, just don't have access to a mig or tig at the moment, and don't wanna mess with alumi-arc rods.

My turbo specs
Compressor Specs :
3" Compressor Inlet
3.000" or 76.20mm Major
1.988" or 50.50mm Minor
Compressor .50 A.R.
Compressor 57 Trim
M24 / T4 Compressor Housing
Turbine Specs :
T3 Type Turbine
11 Blade Type
2.25" Exducer
Turbine .64 A.R.
Turbine 76 Trim
2.560 " or 65.04mm Major
2.204 " or 56.00mm Minor
Turbonetics
TURBONETICS T3/T4 HYBRID TURBO CHARGER(PART#:11021):
TURBONETICS presents a complete line-up OF T3/T4 HYBRID turbochargers consisting of a T3 turbine section, (standard, Stage II or Stage III trim) and a T4 compressor section (T04B trim or T04E trim)
T04E COMPRESSOR WHEEL: 50.
TURBINE : .63 AR;TURBBINE WHEEL: 62.
INLET:3.0'';OUTLET: 2.0''.
TURBO MANIFOLD FLANGE: T3 FLANGE; DOWNPIPE FLANGE: 2.5''5 BOLTS FLANGE.
TYPE OF COOLING: OIL COOLED ONLY.
TYPE OF BEARING: JOURNAL BEARING.
HORSEPOWER RATING: 300HP-400HP
0.4G'S @ 73.000 RPM;OIL FLOW 26.71ML/SEC.

Not saying my turbo will perform like a turbonetics will, but IN THEORY...it should net about the same amount of hp at the same boost level.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Skunk.Werks
"Arkansas, Autozone, 200whp Automatic..."

Looks like one of dem der Good Ole boys got himself a hold of a civic and read too many super street mags from 2001
Something along those lines lol...only i'm not so good, and done had a 95 stock prelude si that got me into hondas, was strictly mitsu and nissan till then. First car was a paxton supercharged 650+ hp & 800 ft/lb aluminum interior 91 cobra. Always been a gearhead, just can't afford the v8 mpg. Then with my prelude i used to run stock/mild class on a local street circuit track where handling is everything. Talk smack on the auto all you guys want...it's there for now and that's all. And what's the superstreet crack? At least i didn't get into imports cause of fast and the furious like a lot of kids out there, and i've done at least one thing right by dropping in a zc, which i did by myself with a scissor jack....let me see anyone else claim that one, not the easiest thing in the world.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Spug
I think those are the "after" pics :/ Judging by the description anyway.

I'm definitely not a fan of the interior, but to each his own.
like i said....WORK IN PROGRESS....outside needs a little more paint and bondo - shaving side molding and all badging. and i wanted the whole interior black, only way my wife would let me spend as much as i have is to paint things her favorite color, so i picked a color scheme and ran with it, little more flashy than i wanted, but it's whatever, it's clean and complete. Everything on the car is tight, all wiring is wrapped, loomed, and zip-tied down, and most hoses/clamps are new.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow...i expected a dash of comraderie...at least for the love of old school hondas...hahaha...guess not. I expect people to not like that it's essentially ebay built, but the products i've used so far are well worth the money. But that's what happens when you're on a budget, don't knock it till you've tried it. Materials are the same no matter where you get em, ebay stuff just needs a little modifying to fit properly. But regardless, when paint is complete, the goal will be(with the exception of 5 spd swap, baer brakes front n back, and coilovers)...a budget built daily driven great handling good gas mileage ride that i can take to the track on the weekend and have some fun with. Hate if you want, but i'll still love my little civic.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The red interior parts just look so out of place, but i can certainly appreciate someone who does there own work, and tries to do what they can when on a tight budget. Good luck with the eBay turbo, i know more than a few people who have blown through a couple of them. Keep the boost low, and it might last you a little while. anywho, how do you plan on tuning it?
Old 10-13-2011, 10:46 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Well regardless - if you like it that's all that matters... makes me want to burn all my imports - but hey, it's your vehicle.

You have a lot to learn about forced induction I see. What is your engine management/ what upgrades did you do to even run the turbo? With that size turbo I would assume there is going to be lag. Let alone most likely be out of or bordering the effciency range of the turbo at that PSI for that engine. Given, its not all about the pressure you are running anyways, there is more to consider just than a turbo you want because it's like XXX turbo... The efficiency of the Honda automatic isn't that great and I would surmise that the whole setup would be lucky to make 155-170whp... (this of course is with out crunching any numbers)...
Old 10-13-2011, 11:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

ehhh another ef down the drain WHY GOD WHY DO YOU LET THIS PPL OWN HONDAS WHY!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2011, 11:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tonylovesjdmEF9
ehhh another ef down the drain WHY GOD WHY DO YOU LET THIS PPL OWN HONDAS WHY!!!!!!!
^this x100000000. why, god, why do kids still paint all the plastics they can remove and think that it's cool?!?! i mean, even in TFATF they atleast molded some stuff with fiberglass

this build would be fine if it wasn't a half-assed attempt to be 2001 cool. an OEM rebuild for a boosted daily would have been cool. a slammed project with some go would have been cool. but this is just ..
Old 10-13-2011, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

this is why i love threads like this...its great motivation for de-ricing
Old 10-13-2011, 11:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

idk the worst part i dont get if your wife/girlfriend/ladyfriend cant put up with your hobbie/passion they i would be like get used to it live it if not they stay out the garage if its your gf find a new one that will be okay with it and so on my ex hated my ef in the beggining at the end she wanted it for her self but she just woulnt let me spend my money in to my car as much and well didnt dont out broke up and not i have D2's 36 adjustable coilovers and i got recaros enjoy hahahahaa
Old 10-13-2011, 12:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Mexican, country white boy, or teenager?
Old 10-13-2011, 12:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtecn8ive
OKAY OKAY there is difference betweena mexican and a PAISA
mexican is a educated non crazy or drunk or ricer latino like to keep their car as stock as possible .....

PAISA is a latino that is uneducated drinks everyday puts chrome 18's on their car or hubcaps loud exhaust cheap sound system and cheesy paintjobs

thank you guys coming from a true mexican if you dont belive ask kingvem
Old 10-13-2011, 01:34 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

So are you saying PIASA would then be the correct term for OP?
Old 10-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by vtecn8ive
HA...none of the above....simple minded fools. You people hate because it's not what you like. Don't mean jack squat...so how bout everyone grow up and realize that what i like might not be what you like, but i don't sit on here talking smack about other peoples rides, i like what i've done so far, if you don't GET OVER IT and go bashing on facebook like the high school losers you're acting like.

Quick Reply: Long nights, empty wallet, mad wife...and it was worth it :)