Notices

4 Speakers in Civic DX Hatch? - Rear Speakers Available?

Old 09-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 Speakers in Civic DX Hatch? - Rear Speakers Available?

I'm starting to fix up my new daily driver - '89 Civic Hatch DX. Replacing a lot of broken pieces (center vent, radio surround panel, drivers side vent, antenna, drivers door key cylinder, door speakers where original and fell apart!) on my car and getting to the point to put in a stereo (car was broken into and stereo was stolen from previous owner). I want a 4 speaker system for better sound and maybe get a small and easy to hide powered sub like a infiniti basslink. My car does not have rear speakers and I'm not sure if any Hatch came with them in the US. I've been searching around here and on the web and seems JDM had rear speaker panels in the back of the hatch next to the cargo cover by the rear side window - they call them "Gathers" for some reason.

Are all US Civic Hatches wired for 4 speakers (meaning I don't have to run new wires)? Are these "Gathers" the only rear speaker panels that are stock (don't really want to cut and create my own but prefer the stock look)?
Old 09-23-2008, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The plastic pieces that hold the cargo cover up are where the speakers go. Cut 'em up and stick some speakers in there...

btw, "Gathers" is just a brand name. They're made by Pioneer.
Old 09-24-2008, 05:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Heres info I got from another member (for anyone who was interested in this question too):

"The rear speaker trays and pods only came in the SI models. They did come in the US also, There a bitch to find. The dx and std model are not wired for the rear speakers."
Old 09-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm not sure if that's correct--I've seen plenty of DX's with cargo covers. In fact, here you go. I looked up the DX specifically and I got that--notice the choice of blue and brown. The Si was only available with a black interior.

What I'm trying to say here is, this "rear shelf" piece is what every US cargo cover equipped ED6/ED7 came with (that's what holds the cover in place). And the shelf is where the speakers go.

Now....if we're talking specifically about speaker pods, meaning something specifically meant to hold the speakers in, then I dunno. I don't see it anywhere in the parts catalog.

Modified by hushypushy at 8:33 AM 9/24/2008
Old 09-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (jaje)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaje &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
"The rear speaker trays and pods only came in the SI models. They did come in the US also, There a bitch to find. The dx and std model are not wired for the rear speakers."</TD></TR></TABLE>

The last part is wrong. I picked up some rear pods (with the cargo cover for only $100 ) for my '90 STD and there WERE factory speaker wires run to the back, I just had to lengthen them to the pods.

It was a half hour install.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

^ Can you post some pics of your rear speakers? I'm curious as to what size you used, how you wired them, and how you mounted them. I'm probably getting an EF hatch soon so I'd like to know.

btw, I hope this doesn't sound too weird, but you have one of the nicest STD's around
Old 09-24-2008, 07:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm interested too as I'd like to add rear speakers and if the wiring is there then why not use it (the center vent clock wiring is in all cars - just no clock in the STD or DX)
Old 09-24-2008, 09:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hushypushy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaje &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">They did come in the US also, There a bitch to find. The dx and std model are not wired for the rear speakers."</TD></TR></TABLE>

that's a lie. my hatch is a base model ef and it's wired for rear speakers. as far as i can tell the dx and hf models both used the same interior wiring harness. i would know, i've been swaping parts from a dx to a base model
Old 09-24-2008, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hushypushy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^ Can you post some pics of your rear speakers? I'm curious as to what size you used, how you wired them, and how you mounted them. I'm probably getting an EF hatch soon so I'd like to know.</TD></TR></TABLE>

here's mine...

one guy i know that doesn't have the rear pods took a pice of half inch plywood, cut it out for 5.25's and made it fid the non speaker pod style rear plastics. worked great, sounded good too
Old 09-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Mine are OEM pods just like DCRB just posted.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hushypushy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^ Can you post some pics of your rear speakers? I'm curious as to what size you used, how you wired them, and how you mounted them. I'm probably getting an EF hatch soon so I'd like to know.

btw, I hope this doesn't sound too weird, but you have one of the nicest STD's around </TD></TR></TABLE>

I have one of the nicest STDs around? I think you might have me confused with someone else.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jaje &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'm interested too as I'd like to add rear speakers and if the wiring is there then why not use it (the center vent clock wiring is in all cars - just no clock in the STD or DX)</TD></TR></TABLE>

I did use the provided speaker wiring and my STD came with a clock?
Old 09-24-2008, 11:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I'mStock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I’mStock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I have one of the nicest STDs around? I think you might have me confused with someone else. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well, it's clean and simple, just the way I like it. Most people decide to pimp out their STD's to make them more than what they are...I like how yours is just a clean DD with some minor (yet effective) touchups, and how you kept the slow engine, no tach cluster, and all that. I guess what I'm trying to say is, in your situation (i.e. with an Evo as the other car), I'd do the same stuff to my EF! As a very basic EF, I don't think I've seen many (or any) done cleaner
Old 09-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DCRB)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DCRB &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

that's a lie. my hatch is a base model ef and it's wired for rear speakers. as far as i can tell the dx and hf models both used the same interior wiring harness. i would know, i've been swaping parts from a dx to a base model</TD></TR></TABLE> I said the didnt have any wires ran back there cause my 91 dx hatch didnt have rewiring in it odd, sorry aboutthe bunk info, maybe my car is strange lol. O and they didnt ha a HF civic hatch
Old 09-24-2008, 12:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well evilbay has rear speaker cargo brackets only for $300!
Old 09-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

oh my bad
Old 09-25-2008, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hushypushy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Well, it's clean and simple, just the way I like it. Most people decide to pimp out their STD's to make them more than what they are...I like how yours is just a clean DD with some minor (yet effective) touchups, and how you kept the slow engine, no tach cluster, and all that. I guess what I'm trying to say is, in your situation (i.e. with an Evo as the other car), I'd do the same stuff to my EF! As a very basic EF, I don't think I've seen many (or any) done cleaner </TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks a lot. I'm amazed someone on H-T even remembers my car, only posted it once or twice.
Old 09-25-2008, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (sleepingciv)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sleepingciv &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I said the didnt have any wires ran back there cause my 91 dx hatch didnt have rewiring in it odd, sorry aboutthe bunk info, maybe my car is strange lol. O and they didnt ha a HF civic hatch</TD></TR></TABLE>

my dx came with the wiring, they were tucked behind the panels under some electrical tape... i just cut holes in the cargo cover for rear speakers, pretty ghetto but damn having four speakers really makes a difference..

Old 10-10-2008, 05:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (I'mStock)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by I’mStock &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I picked up some rear pods (with the cargo cover for only $100 ) for my '90 STD and there WERE factory speaker wires run to the back, I just had to lengthen them to the pods.</TD></TR></TABLE>
I'm going to install rear speakers pods. Where can I find the wires for the rear speakers tucked away? I don't want to have to remove too much of the interior to find them.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 AM

I found mine just below the brake lights, behind the plastic panel. The wires are only long enough to be pulled out of the hole, so they had to be cut and extended.
Old 10-12-2008, 02:21 PM

Default Re: (Pnelly)

The wires are tucked back behind the turn signals in the rear the wires are as followed...

Left- positive is blue with green stripe, and the negative is green with white stripe.

Right- positive is red with yellow stripe, and the negative is brown with white stripe.

Hope this helps 4 speakers is always better than 2 speakers. Mine is a 1990 STD but I think its the same for everyone.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (ef9=])

Thanks for the info.

I pulled off the covers for the brake and turn signal lights and can't really see or reach into there to pull them out (probably well hidden). Will have to pull the panel off to get in there. I'm doing a battery relocation to where the spare tire is anyway so might as well pull off the panels anyway.
Old 11-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

after saying i didnt have wires i decided to look lol i found them they were taped up to were each tail light gets its power there is a little gray plug that plugs into the tail light harness and there right there
Old 11-10-2008, 01:55 PM

Default Re: (sleepingciv)

if you need some back speekers i have some rear polk audio's