Notices

1991 CRX HF

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 11:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 CRX HF

Hey,

I just want to introduce myself to this forum. I'm not new to fixing/building cars, but I am wet behind the ears when it comes to Hondas. I've been in rotary (FD) for years, blew my motor last
summer and still putting her back together.

Well, do to our ever rising gas prices($4.89), I did a search on the highest mpg cars ever produce for U.S market. I do commute 180 miles round trip for work twice a week! I'm currently spending about $400.00 per/mo on fuel.

The CRX HF came up as one of the best and the only one that I would consider driving. After a few weeks of searching on the internet for a car. I purchased a 1991 HF 5 speed with 205,000 miles on it, the body is ok, it's been repainted, the interior is clean, a/c does not work, suspension is very loose, and the steering wheel shimmers when I hit the brakes, the motor was missing due to one failed fuel injector. Took care of the fuel injector.

So far, on the first tank of gas it got 53mpg, the second tank got 49mpg, and the third got 52 mpg. This is mostly freeway driving without the a/c running. To say that I'm impress is a huge understatement Remember, I use drive my RX7 to work and I was getting 15-17mpg off boost!

1.My question for you guys are, is the suspenion the same for the Si and HF series? I was planning on getting some damper and spring combo sometime later.

2.Is MPG the norm for this model?

3.As mentioned above, the brake shimmers when I hit the brake, what might be the cause for this?

4.Where can I find a new cargo cover? And how much do they go for?

5.How may gallon does the Si tank hold, I believe that mine is only 6 gallons?

6.Anyone ever put together a turbo for this car. Before anyone flames me, I think it makes perfect sense to turbo this beast.

Thanks for your time, jay

P.S before anyone shoots off with "do the search". I did, and did not come up with anything for the HF.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1991 CRX HF (Jetlag)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Jetlag &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hey,

I just want to introduce myself to this forum. I'm not new to fixing/building cars, but I am wet behind the ears when it comes to Hondas. I've been in rotary (FD) for years, blew my motor last
summer and still putting her back together.

Well, do to our ever rising gas prices($4.89), I did a search on the highest mpg cars ever produce for U.S market. I do commute 180 miles round trip for work twice a week! I'm currently spending about $400.00 per/mo on fuel.

The CRX HF came up as one of the best and the only one that I would consider driving. After a few weeks of searching on the internet for a car. I purchased a 1991 HF 5 speed with 205,000 miles on it, the body is ok, it's been repainted, the interior is clean, a/c does not work, suspension is very loose, and the steering wheel shimmers when I hit the brakes, the motor was missing due to one failed fuel injector. Took care of the fuel injector.

So far, on the first tank of gas it got 53mpg, the second tank got 49mpg, and the third got 52 mpg. This is mostly freeway driving without the a/c running. To say that I'm impress is a huge understatement Remember, I use drive my RX7 to work and I was getting 15-17mpg off boost!

1.My question for you guys are, is the suspenion the same for the Si and HF series? I was planning on getting some damper and spring combo sometime later.

2.Is MPG the norm for this model?

3.As mentioned above, the brake shimmers when I hit the brake, what might be the cause for this?

4.Where can I find a new cargo cover? And how much do they go for?

5.How may gallon does the Si tank hold, I believe that mine is only 6 gallons?

6.Anyone ever put together a turbo for this car. Before anyone flames me, I think it makes perfect sense to turbo this beast.

Thanks for your time, jay

P.S before anyone shoots off with "do the search". I did, and did not come up with anything for the HF.

</TD></TR></TABLE>
Good find on the Hf. They are getting harder and harder to find. Now off to the questions...
1.)Suspension is the same..just the 88's are different.
2.)Yes that is normal MPG for that vehicle...great isnt it!
3.)Shimmering could come from many different things. Just check your brakes see if they are bad. May just need replaced...if not check your fluid levels. Could be numerous things causing it.
4.)Cargo covers are best usually on ebay or your local yard. I have a acouple extra but your to far away and I dont like shipping large items.
5.)Seems like the Si has like 8 or 9. Thats just off the top of my head. I could do research but starting to get sleepy..haha
6.)I am sure ppl have install turbos...but you currently only have about 60-70 hp. Couldnt really see it worth turboing...and with 205,000 miles..ehhh

Was wondering does your car have the blue or black interior????
And get us some pics of this beast!!!
Old 07-13-2008, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice to see someone that can put together sentences at the forums.

Around 50 is your stock mpg yes

Dx/hf hold aroud 8 I believe, my si has 11 or so.

Didn't the hf come WITHOUT the cargo cover? This is what I thought.

Brake shimmers? Not to sure what that means, look at your rotors, are they rusty? Like honestly brown rust rusty?

Welcome to the forums hope you won't be leaving soon lol.
Old 07-13-2008, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1991 CRX HF (Mog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Didn't the hf come WITHOUT the cargo cover? This is what I thought</TD></TR></TABLE>
Nope they came with the cover.. The only difference is that sometimes the HF's came with blue interior.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 1991 CRX HF (Mog)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Mog &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Dx/hf hold aroud 8 I believe, my si has 11 or so.

Didn't the hf come WITHOUT the cargo cover? This is what I thought.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

That's not entirely correct.

The HF had a smaller, lighter gas tank. Honda did this since they knew the car would get better gas mileage so it wouldn't need fillups as often, and the weight savings would help achieve maximum MPG.

The part number for the DX/Std/Si gas tank is the same.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1991 CRX HF (harmonator84)

Here she is in all of her splendor and glory......I call her my CTDM HF, AKA China Town Domestic Market. This is for all of the cheap Ebay **** that was/still on the car when I got it.

Small rock chip/hole on the passenger headlight and the CTDM side marker light. Just look at how
well the fit and finish of the corner light.

Another great fitting corner light

Rattle can paint match at this fender. As you can see the hood on this car is not sitting flush with the fender....Is this a common problem with the CRX?
This rear quarter panel was cheaply repaired sometime in its life. Will have to break out my body shop skills. None!

More CTDM details. It's not a carbon can, but at least I won't feel out of place in a crowded world
of Honda Tuning.....Notice that I never use the term "Ricer", because I happen to love Jasmine Rice.

Carbon look Grant wheel and some Ebay carbon look leather shift ****.

Minor tear on the driver's door panel.

The seats were a light gray to blue color when I got this car. I decided to remove these seats
and use my new 1800psi power washer and some Woolite. You should have seen the
amount of grayish/brown water that was running off. I would suspect that it must have
been 16 years of marinated *** juice.

The motor had sooo much cake on grease that it required two session of pressure washing.
It ran like crap due to failed number two injector. I got some used ones for $11.00 each.

Overall, this car is doing what it's meant to do, trans port my *** to and from work with very
little "Carbon Foot Print" . I'm a greenie now.
Anyone have a spare '91 passenger headlight, stock side markers, and a cargo cover that they like to donate or sell.

Thanks, Jay

Last edited by Jetlag; 06-17-2009 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:49 AM

CRX | 2nd Gen CRX Specs
CAPACITIES Fuel (gal.) HF - 10.6 DX - 11.9 Si - 11.9

http://www.angelfire.com/tx4/r....html

blkjak

Modified by blkjak at 11:54 AM 7/13/2008
Old 07-13-2008, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1991 CRX HF (blkjak)

you said marinated *** juice. hahaha. the most likely of causes for a shimmy when braking are 1, warped rotors andd 2, loose front suspension. with 205xxx id just go over both. hell the parts for these cars are cheap. welcome to honda land btw...
Old 07-13-2008, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1991 CRX HF (blkjak)

Thanks for the spec list. It states that my tank is 10.6 gallons. I've only been able to put in 6.5 gallons, this is from where the empty line is on the dash? Four gallons left below the empty line?
Old 07-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Will, check the rotors and suspension system in the near future. Yeah, I notice how cheap parts are compare to my RX7 or Miata or even Accord.
Old 07-13-2008, 01:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Well you have to think...the vehicle isnt as expensive as the Rx7 either...which might I add is very sharp!

The first mode I would do is swap all the interior over to the black. I rolled with the blue for a year or so in my old HF. Hated it when I had it...kinda miss it now..haha.

*** juice FTW!!!
Old 01-08-2009, 09:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1991 CRX HF

im trying to find an 89 crx hf shell but would settle for a 90 or 91. all im looking for is a clean body and interior......i could care less how many miles are on it, if it has an engine, axles, or even wheels!!!! all i want is a nice hf shell.....THATS IT!!!!! if anyone out there has one and wants to get rid of it, or if you know someone that has one......let me know, i'll GLADLY take it off their hands
Old 01-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i think some hfs came with a shift light, to indicate for best gas milage.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:02 AM

im pretty sure that none of the HF's came with the cargo cover, thats why the lock box thing has carpet connected to it, and in the SI the carpet was connected to the divider i used all the cargo stuff from my SI parts car...all the holes are there for it except behind the speaker grill you need to screw in the bracket to hold the divider, but thats a mega clean RX-7 props!, i have an HF with a b series in it and i get great mileage, 35-38 mpg i love my stupid rex hahha!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The specs say 10.6 but that has not been my experience. I own an 88HF and a 91HF and have never been able to get more than 6.5 gallons in them.

Neither one came with a cargo cover either.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by bird00420
im trying to find an 89 crx hf shell but would settle for a 90 or 91. all im looking for is a clean body and interior......i could care less how many miles are on it, if it has an engine, axles, or even wheels!!!! all i want is a nice hf shell.....THATS IT!!!!! if anyone out there has one and wants to get rid of it, or if you know someone that has one......let me know, i'll GLADLY take it off their hands
I really cannot belive you bumped a 6 month old thread just to say this....

And yes the hfs did come with shift light indicators.
Old 01-08-2009, 06:23 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

i was always able to put in right at 9 gallons in both of my 89 HF's.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm. Haha I have an si and I usually get betwen 8-9. I am afraid to let it go too low because I am pretty sure it does not have an idiot light. We could ask my mom though, she likes to wait until its dying to fill up... =p
Old 01-08-2009, 07:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

is it possible to use that hf shift light on si's?

if so that would be great!!
Old 01-09-2009, 04:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Haha oh lord, Mazda rims on a Honda? Anyone else see this?
Old 01-09-2009, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by kojack_0
is it possible to use that hf shift light on si's?

if so that would be great!!
Yea just change out the gauge...I would say.
Old 01-09-2009, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DEPintheCurve
Haha oh lord, Mazda rims on a Honda? Anyone else see this?
Reading > you
Old 01-11-2009, 08:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by harmonator84
I really cannot belive you bumped a 6 month old thread just to say this....

And yes the hfs did come with shift light indicators.
well what do you know.....you're still posting things on this thread, and other people are posting things on it, and even more people are passing through just to take a peek at it.....so if even one of those people can help me out, it'll be more than worth it so unless you have something useful for me.....mind your own p's and q's and answer everyone else's questions smart guy
Old 01-11-2009, 09:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the HFs didnt come with a clock, has aluminum rear drums, no cargo cover, no rear speakers, blue interior, no bumper suppoert.. just a tiny bar to hook the bumper to, yadda yadda yadda.. the stripped alot of the accesories to save weight n whatnot for the gas mileage.. i had one, love the gas mileage but slow as *****
Old 01-12-2009, 03:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i like this crx the way it is. my buddy owned one and the most he ever pulled out of it was 57 mpg. pisses me off all the time in that i get about 22-25 with my high cr engine when i know i can get more. he also had 200+ pounds of audio crap which amazed me that he was still getting 50+ mpg. last time i seen the car it had 500+ miles on the same tank with little gas to spare. god i wish he had sold me that crx....

Quick Reply: 1991 CRX HF