Notices

1989 Honda Civic Wagon Automatic Transmission Issue: I Know You Could Help Me LOOK!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1989 Honda Civic Wagon Automatic Transmission Issue: I Know You Could Help Me LOOK!

Problem: I am having a problem with my 1989 Honda Civic 5 Dr Wagovan with automatic transmission. I’m getting oil all over the transmission dipstick hole. I always find the transmission oil dip stick popped out. I will push it back in and when I run the car the dipstick is out of the hole (not all the way but just passed the rubber stopper). This is driving me nuts. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!

Solution: One of the transmission cooling hoses the one that goes to the radiator was loose. The tranny ran out of some of its fluid. It seems that air came into the transmission and when the fluid was circulating in the transmission was trying to push the air out. That used to push the transmission dipstick. I added some transmission oil and problem solved. Thank you guys!!!

Last edited by Reaccion; 01-18-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1989 Honda Civic Wagon Automatic Transmission Issue: I Know You Could Help Me LOO

Anyone?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: 1989 Honda Civic Wagon Automatic Transmission Issue: I Know You Could Help Me LOO

Would running low in transmission oil cause this problem as well????
Old 01-14-2011, 10:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It sounds like the rubber gasket on the Tranny hole is gone/worn down, hard.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Ruckus2009
Thank you man for the bump!!
Old 01-14-2011, 12:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 89LSED
It sounds like the rubber gasket on the Tranny hole is gone/worn down, hard.
You are the second person that suggests me to change the transmission dipstick... However, it feels like if it would just clip alright in the transmission... I am going to double check on that. Any other suggestions?
Old 01-14-2011, 02:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

do u have like a build up in pressure maybe ' amounting to it pusing it up? heard of this happing like crank build up sorta auto's are sketchy anywho lol like wagovan tho kepp her clean! need parts hit me wago king[
Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by buckner2009
do u have like a build up in pressure maybe ' amounting to it pusing it up? heard of this happing like crank build up sorta auto's are sketchy anywho lol like wagovan tho kepp her clean! need parts hit me wago king[
Yes, thank you man. I will check on that... Anybody else?
Old 01-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Anyone else?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i have an auto and the dipstick is a tight fit. never popped out once.
Old 01-16-2011, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Reaccion
I am having a problem with my 1989 Honda Civic 5 Dr Wagovan with automatic transmission. I’m getting oil all over the transmission dipstick hole. I always find the transmission oil dip stick popped out. I will push it back in and when I run the car the dipstick is out of the hole (not all the way but just passed the rubber stopper). This is driving me nuts. Please HELP!!!!!!!!!
I tried searching this several different ways and unfortunately I personally cannot think of anything unusual that would cause this if everything else is alright. In other words:

1. Is there too much transmission fluid, most times, if too much is added the transmission will simply expel the excess.
2. Is the dipstick damaged, bent, someone already mentioned the locking o-ring or ?
3. crazy question but, is this the correct dipstick for the vehicle
4. Is there something obstructing the dipstick hole
5. Is the dipstick tube bent or damaged
6. excess additives? In addition, is the correct transmission fluid being used?
7. Are the transmission cooler lines going into, and coming out of the radiator pinched, blocked or collapsed
8. what is the color of the transmission fluid

Also, how is it driving? Normal, noisy, slipping or ?
How many miles does your wagovan have?
Are you leaking any transmission fluid, if so, where exactly?

While I am no ASE nor Honda Certified mechanic, I have had a slight few problems with mine yet not this exact problem. Most of mine, personally, have been due to:

Wrong fluid
Use of additives that were completely unnecessary
Damaged/crimped cooler lines to radiator
Damaged driveshaft seals

I would like to see you solve your current problem. Please let us know.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Akiraboy
I tried searching this several different ways and unfortunately I personally cannot think of anything unusual that would cause this if everything else is alright. In other words:

1. Is there too much transmission fluid, most times, if too much is added the transmission will simply expel the excess.
2. Is the dipstick damaged, bent, someone already mentioned the locking o-ring or ?
3. crazy question but, is this the correct dipstick for the vehicle
4. Is there something obstructing the dipstick hole
5. Is the dipstick tube bent or damaged
6. excess additives? In addition, is the correct transmission fluid being used?
7. Are the transmission cooler lines going into, and coming out of the radiator pinched, blocked or collapsed
8. what is the color of the transmission fluid

Also, how is it driving? Normal, noisy, slipping or ?
How many miles does your wagovan have?
Are you leaking any transmission fluid, if so, where exactly?

While I am no ASE nor Honda Certified mechanic, I have had a slight few problems with mine yet not this exact problem. Most of mine, personally, have been due to:

Wrong fluid
Use of additives that were completely unnecessary
Damaged/crimped cooler lines to radiator
Damaged driveshaft seals

I would like to see you solve your current problem. Please let us know.
Solution: One of the transmission cooling hoses, the one that goes to the radiator, was loose. The tranny ran out of some of its fluid. It seems that air came into the transmission and when the fluid was circulating in the transmission was trying to push the air out. That used to push the transmission dipstick. I added some transmission oil and problem solved. Thank you guys!!!