Notices

Overheating.....and, oil leaking out in a big way.

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating.....and, oil leaking out in a big way.

Little bit about my car
88 CRX Si
All stock

Driving to work today, I noticed the car getting a bit warm. Knowing that these little things stay pretty consistent temperature wise, it raised my attention. At first the gauge would climb up to almost red and then go right back down to normal. A couple minutes later, the same thing. Did it about three times, never pegged all the way red. It almost seemed like a surging tach. Up and down, up and down.

Pulled over to see if I noticed anything out of place. Figured it was maybe just a little low on coolant. I shut it down and popped the hood, and noticed a little oil near the dist. cap, and around, and under that area. Looked underneath and there was about a six inch wide puddle of oil in a minute. I could also see oil drips every three feet of so behind my car once I stopped.

Thoughts what it might be? I didn't really find anything on here about this specific problem. I need to go dig up the helms, and see if that has any help for me.

Last edited by schueytenten; 01-20-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Overheating.....and, oil leaking out in a big way.

What part was dripping oil? I didn't really understand the last part of your post when you were rolling in it? lol.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by McGruber
What part was dripping oil? I didn't really understand the last part of your post when you were rolling in it? lol.
Not sure where it was dripping from. I just meant after I pulled to a stop I walked back and looked behind the car and I could see small drips every three feet or so.
Hope that makes sense.

Also looking at the helms for answers on the oil pump it talks about the oil light coming on. It never came on. I am guessing (hoping) it's just something to do with the oil pump.

Thanks
Old 01-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just edited my original post. It didn't make sense how I had it written out. Hopefully it"s easier to read.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I see what you mean. Sounds to me like you might have two different problems but you won't know for sure till you can get under the car and look. The oil leak could be completely unrelated, sounds like a heating issue to me. Could be the water pump on its way out or the wiring is loose or bad sensor, who knows. Was the coolant level ok? Time to start the process of elimination lol. Good luck. Let us know what you find when you check underneath.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I didn't really get into it too much because I had to get to work. I will check the coolant tomorrow, and eliminate that hopefully. I didn't check the oil level either. That woulda been too smart to see if it was way down. I guess things go wrong with 22 year old cars. LOL