Notices

**--B16a VSS Problem--**

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default **--B16a VSS Problem--**

I have CRX SiR, just finished my motor swap, only problem i have is this confusion with the Vehicle Speed Sensors, i used to have a b16a (comes stock), Y1 transmission W/ LSD, i put in a fresh b16a with a J1 transmission.

My old transmission used an ELECTRONIC VSS, but the new transmission has a CABLE VSS. I've been told coutless times that they will match up, It wasn't hard to get the Electronic VSS into the J1 transmission, but I have come to the conclusion that this is why my car is not running. I cannot drive my car with the Cable VSS in the transmission because my car is set up for the electronic, NOT cable.

I recently just read up on swapping the metal gears on the Vehicle Speed Sensors to make the VSS work, I got the gears out of both but the cable VSS gear is longer and will not fit in the electronic VSS gear.

Some pictures to explain further:

Cable VSS (LEFT) - Electronic VSS (RIGHT)

Cable VSS Gear - TOP
Electronic VSS Gear - Bottom

Now.. Heres where it gets ugly. The reason why i can't get my wheels to spin is because..
I cannot get my drivers side axle into the transmission, there is some sort of shaft, or broken-off peice from the VSS in the transmission.

Pics:

Pictured here is the gold "shaft peice" that is preventing my axle from going farther in

Top of Transmission:

This peice doesn't move, I haven't tried to apply alot of force because I honestly don't know if it is supposed to be there or not. If anyone knows ANYTHING about how to get my Electronic VSS in my J1 and working - along with any information about this peice in my transmission please post! I don't care about the money aspect of it, but i do care about the timing, I need my car running!

Your help is appreciated,

Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 04:20 PM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: **--B16a VSS Problem--**

I dunno... looks like everythign is good to me.
In the bottom pic you can see the worm gear at the top left of the hole. That's what engages the gear on your VSS. I think the little C shape at the bottom center of the hole just catches the shaft of the VSS and helps prevent the gear on the VSS from working itself off.

I don't see what you are pointing out in the top pics. Looks like a regular non-LSD to me.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hmm, well i pushed the electronic VSS into the new trans, the metal gears (electronic - cable) don't match up at all.. and i'm wondering what that gold peice is because I can put my axle on, wheels and go to drive but my car WILL NOT MOVE, the axle will move the rotor when the car is jacked up, but once i drive it for a minute it feels like it has slipped.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And if that seems COMPLETELY normal and right to you, i'll have to troubleshoot a little more. I still am asking - How do i get my Electronic VSS into the J1 trans? - (if it doesn't line up at all..) and no matter where i go i keep being told it will work from cable to electronic and they are all interchangable.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I guess i'll post up a little of my motivation why I want her running..

Before -

Old Motor Out -

New Motor -

Currently where i'm at:

Yes, I overloaded on pictures.. something to look at for the time being i guess!
Old 01-26-2009, 05:38 PM

I dont think you have the correct electronic VSS, it doesnt look right. As far as your trans feeling like its seized.......? I am wondering if your trans has issues, does the car roll? What happens if you remove the axles and put the trans into gear (start motor and release clutch), does the motor die?

Good looking project!!

Kirk R
Old 01-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by KRock459
I dont think you have the correct electronic VSS, it doesnt look right. As far as your trans feeling like its seized.......? I am wondering if your trans has issues, does the car roll? What happens if you remove the axles and put the trans into gear (start motor and release clutch), does the motor die?

Good looking project!!

Kirk R

Well, I didn't think i'd get to say this.. but everything is perfect now.

I ended up taking the head of the electronic vss (top sensor part), cutting the cable VSS's metal pipes that were sticking out, putting the top head sensor from elec vss onto the head of the cable vss (witch is still attached to the bottom of the cable vss), sliding the pin holder in from the cable vss, mounting the top head to the bottom with two bolts and spacers and placing it onto the transmission, works like a charm!
Old 01-27-2009, 06:33 AM
Keyboard Humorist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Good to read that you figured out a VSS combo that worked!
So the car drives now and all that?
Old 01-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 4drEF
Good to read that you figured out a VSS combo that worked!
So the car drives now and all that?

Yup, everything was sorted out. Thermostat was broken, replaced thermostat. Vtec Wasn't working (thought because the engine was cold), turned out the wire for the sensor was loose. Top rad hose had a crack in it (boiling coolant everywhere) - cut and installed properly, Car WAS running extremely rich, adjusted the timing a little more and it seems to be running ALMOST up to par.. I beleive i need a new fuel pressure regulator though.. I also painted the valve cover, with brand new OEM gasket, bought hatch shocks, Oh yeah, my head studs are as weak as your little sister, two busted already.