Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

ADVISE NEEDED FOR MODS

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ADVISE NEEDED FOR MODS

Hey dudes and dudets.

i basically need help and advice as I know not too much about my car.

my car is a Honda Civic 1997 coupe si I think.
Am I correct in saying that’s a ej6 coupe?

also the mods I want to do are simple I think.

I have no cup holders apart from the ones in the back. So what ones would I need to get off another civic for and what part?

I either want the del sol seats in my car or the prelude ones. I think the del sol are a easier fit, but tend to be a lil more expensive. Advise?

im also looking at the type r front bumper for my coupe which I’ve seen one or vti I mean from 96-00 that should fit right?

Not sure how to find threads so if anyone knows if there’s some already covered could ya just link me pls and thanks.

thanks again tho
Old 02-23-2021, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: ADVISE NEEDED FOR MODS

Well congrats on the car! Well the great thing about Civics is that pretty much what ever you want to do is doable! but yes I believe Del-sol seats will be an easier fit... but honestly you can fit whatever seats you like! I got a friend with 2006 Si seats in his 1999 sedan! Also here in the states the 1999 and 2000 front bumper will not work on any other civics! So you would need to get the fenders hood headlights and front bumper in order to have that style... sounds like alot but everything just bolts on and off! I believe that typer front bumpers are literally the same except bumper as normal civic except with a lip! SO YA PROB EASIER AND WAY CHEAPER! I hope this helped ya!
Old 02-24-2021, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Emad A. Tadrous
Well congrats on the car! Well the great thing about Civics is that pretty much what ever you want to do is doable! but yes I believe Del-sol seats will be an easier fit... but honestly you can fit whatever seats you like! I got a friend with 2006 Si seats in his 1999 sedan! Also here in the states the 1999 and 2000 front bumper will not work on any other civics! So you would need to get the fenders hood headlights and front bumper in order to have that style... sounds like alot but everything just bolts on and off! I believe that typer front bumpers are literally the same except bumper as normal civic except with a lip! SO YA PROB EASIER AND WAY CHEAPER! I hope this helped ya!
hey man, thanks for the message. That’s why I love the ol hondas is that by the looks of research they’re most compatible with most other hondas. I’m just gonna get the lip that’s what should be done! I think I was getting mine confused with a facelift. Im gonna rep the old era with the preface and get a lip.
And seats, yeah I’m unsure what to get. I want it to look like it’s all from Honda and meant to be there so I’m unsure atm. Now trying to get a ap1 steering wheel for it as they look cool af. Thanks again dude or dudet

Old 02-25-2021, 09:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 140 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by ej9newbie

my car is a Honda Civic 1997 coupe si I think.
Am I correct in saying that’s a ej6 coupe?

I have no cup holders apart from the ones in the back. So what ones would I need to get off another civic
If it’s a 1997 then it’s not an SI trim level. Those were only made in 1999 & 2000.
If it has electric windows, then it’s either an EX or LX. If you look at the engine code on the front of the engine block it will let you know what trim level you have.
For cup holders you need the center console which is screwed in with several screws. It’s easy to change. You might have the DX model if you don’t have cup holders, or power windows/locks. I’m not exactly sure though...
Old 02-25-2021, 10:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If you want to put anything larger than a 12-oz can in a cupholder, you will need to modify the factory Honda center console. My 99 has a small one on the left and a large one on the right. Neither one are deep enough to support a fountain drink (even though there is ample room beneath to make them deep enough). I took my dremel and removed the bottom of the large one and dropped a "Universal Stainless Steel Cup Drink Holder for Marine Boat Car SUV Truck RV" from ebay in there for $10. The plastic console hole is tapered. And the cupholder is also tapered. So I just kept removing plastic until it dropped all the way in. Works perfectly.

I was told that cupholders were illegal in Japan in the 80s. So it took a decade for Japanese automakers to figure out how to design them.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:28 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

im also looking at the type r front bumper for my coupe which I’ve seen one or vti I mean from 96-00 that should fit right?
There was a FACELIFT in late 1998, so the bumpers, headlights, and hoods are not interchangeable before and after the facelift.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by highschooler
If it’s a 1997 then it’s not an SI trim level. Those were only made in 1999 & 2000.
If it has electric windows, then it’s either an EX or LX. If you look at the engine code on the front of the engine block it will let you know what trim level you have.
For cup holders you need the center console which is screwed in with several screws. It’s easy to change. You might have the DX model if you don’t have cup holders, or power windows/locks. I’m not exactly sure though...
hey I think it’s a dx as I have electric windows and sun roof but thank you for the info!
Old 02-25-2021, 10:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NukeNinja
There was a FACELIFT in late 1998, so the bumpers, headlights, and hoods are not interchangeable before and after the facelift.
good to know. Thank you. Appreciate it
Old 02-25-2021, 10:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NukeNinja
If you want to put anything larger than a 12-oz can in a cupholder, you will need to modify the factory Honda center console. My 99 has a small one on the left and a large one on the right. Neither one are deep enough to support a fountain drink (even though there is ample room beneath to make them deep enough). I took my dremel and removed the bottom of the large one and dropped a "Universal Stainless Steel Cup Drink Holder for Marine Boat Car SUV Truck RV" from ebay in there for $10. The plastic console hole is tapered. And the cupholder is also tapered. So I just kept removing plastic until it dropped all the way in. Works perfectly.

I was told that cupholders were illegal in Japan in the 80s. So it took a decade for Japanese automakers to figure out how to design them.
hey thanks for the info. I’m gonna see if I can get a whole centre console with the arm test and cup holders.

that’s some cool info I wondered why they have cup holders in the back and not the front.

thanks again
Old 02-25-2021, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 140 Likes on 132 Posts

hey I think it’s a dx as I have electric windows and sun roof but thank you for the info!
I think it would be an EX if you have a sunroof, which is the highest level of trim.
DX doesn’t have power windows or a sunroof.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by highschooler
I think it would be an EX if you have a sunroof, which is the highest level of trim.
DX doesn’t have power windows or a sunroof.
Oh sick. That’s cheeky. Now I know what I have. Thanks man