Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

why skunk 2 short shifter instead of ebay shifters?

Old 07-29-2003, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why skunk 2 short shifter instead of ebay shifters?

why???????????
Old 07-29-2003, 03:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: why skunk 2 short shifter instead of ebay shifters? (TurboEg)

b/c i think the skunk2 are made of steel.... the ebay shifters are aluminum. people have broke the aluminum ones before when they get real hott from the exhaust running under them.... and the hard shifts when racing...

but i had an ebay special for a 94+ teg (i like the two bend shape better, and the way it sits the ****) and drove on it for about a year in my crx, and then in my 94 civic hatch... shifting hard a few times every day. never hurt mine at all...

i wouldnt recomend a short shifter though. everybody i know that has owned one didn't want it anymore. it makes your synchronizers go bad when you are pushing on them before they can react.

if you want a shorter feel.. and not mess up your synchro's ... buy a stock LS, GSR, or ITR shifter from 94+. i now have the 98 gsr shifter in... feels wonderful, way sportier. positions the **** better. and is a hair closer between gears.

i still have my ebay shifter (red w/ 2 bends) and bearings in it if you would like to buy it. or if anybody has a stock LS/ GSR/ or ITR shifter they would like to trade? i also have stock civic shifter as well.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:23 PM

Default Re: why skunk 2 short shifter instead of ebay shifters? (SOHC Beast)

Its not the short shifter that makes peoples sync's go bad its the person. What I mean by this is that the persons hand starts to move faster than the foot so there for they're trying to put it in gear with out the clutch all the way in which results in grinding.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:32 PM

Default Re: why skunk 2 short shifter instead of ebay shifters? (D16z6Coupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by D16z6Coupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Its not the short shifter that makes peoples sync's go bad its the person. What I mean by this is that the persons hand starts to move faster than the foot so there for they're trying to put it in gear with out the clutch all the way in which results in grinding. </TD></TR></TABLE>

you are half right, but the shifter can do this as well. I had a short shifter wear out synchros on my car. why? because the fulcrum point of the shifter is high, which causes the lower end of the shaft to be longer, shortening the throw, and putting the shifter on my resonator . The resonator moves at times when the motor shifts, and this puts strain on the shift fork, and pulls and pushes the shift forks in and out of gear just slightly enuf to wear down synchros.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:33 PM

ebay shifters suck! I broke my DC after about a year and replaced it with an ebay shifter (temporarily) Well it was way more temporary than i thought! Less than 48 hrs of the installation, I was throwing my shift **** in the back seat and scrabling to shove the shifter into third! Beware!
Go with the skunk2, it is the only shifter that is made of steel and not aluminum. It also has a lifetime warranty vs the 2 yrs of the DC. That is only if you have the original receipt with the DC, otherwise they charge you $50 more dollars and you have to send them your broken one as a core!
Old 07-29-2003, 03:43 PM
Technical Hero

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Re: why skunk 2 short shifter instead of ebay shifters? (SlowBlueSi)

i've had mine for 5+ years no problem, but i cut mine even shorter when i got it and put a new **** on, but for 15 bucks i can't complain.
Old 07-29-2003, 05:00 PM

can you tell me a place to buy a ls, gsr, itr stock shifter? and is it easy to install?
Old 07-30-2003, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurboEg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">can you tell me a place to buy a ls, gsr, itr stock shifter? and is it easy to install?</TD></TR></TABLE>

i bought mine off of ebay for like $2.50 + shipping? i was looking for another last night for my girls civic but couldnt find one. just find somebody that owns a teg that has put in a short shifter. make a WTB ad in the classifieds for a stock integra shifter.

as for installing, you just knock out the bushing , and trim about 1/4" off the long side of the shifter where the bolt goes in it ( you'll see what im talking about when you get it and hold your stock one to it) then use the bushing from the civic shifter. re-install. taking mine out, triming the gsr one, and installing the gsr one took me about 30 minutes at my work. i was able to get under the car in the pit to work.. so i didnt have to jack it up... and i also had a cut-off wheel handy
Old 07-30-2003, 05:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Skunk2 owns ebay