Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

When should I add water to coolant reservoir? '95 Civic Del Sol

Old 08-11-2007, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When should I add water to coolant reservoir? '95 Civic Del Sol

For anybody paying attention, I have been at the cooling system of my '95 Civic Del Sol. Had overheating problems and learned a lot in the process of fixing it. Replaced the radiator cap, thermostat and gasket, and the upper and lower radiator hoses (Upper hose blew on way home from work, 15 minute drive in hot South Florida sun.).

Today I am flushing the cooling system with 10 minute flush, running the heater at full blast with flush in system for 10 minutes, will drain and flush with fresh water until clear, then add coolant. What is puzzling me is that I put water in the coolant reservoir and when I check it a day or two later, the water is all gone. Where did it go? So now I just had an overheating problem with the car, I think I had air in the system because it was overheating and when you go around a corner and accelerate, the temperature drops to like normal again. This could only be caused by an air bubble in the system.

Now I am going to finish the flush, fill with coolant and burp out the bubbles. Somewhere in here I read about a bleeder valve where you can let air out of the cooling system, but I forget where that was. Once this is done, I will keep an eye on the coolant level in the reservoir. How often should this have to be "topped off"? Should it maintain it's fluid level or does it require constant monitoring and topping off? Seems to me every time I look in the reservoir, it is empty and I have to add more water. Yet the car runs fine, is nice and quiet, I see no water leaks from under the car, see no water in the oil, and see no water in the tailpipe. Where the hell is all of this water going?