Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Wheel squealing when turned

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel squealing when turned

Posted this up in another forum want to see if you guys could help figure this out. added all posts from that forum.
It's a 93 del sol.

Hey just put on my winter tires 3 days ago i know kind of late. But I used a different lug lock that my friend gave to me that would match better, while driving on the highway I could hear thumping. But story short I took my car home parked it and turned the wheel a little since I live on a hill and I heard the tires squeak. This morning I remounted all my tires with my original lug locks and turned the wheel again to see if I could hear it and it's still there.

Now I looked it up and some people said that it could be that the tires are old and it means they don't have enough traction any more, as the tires don't have that much tread any way but are better than my low profile summer tires. But my cousin is telling me it could be my power steering pump. Above all I just want to make sure that there isn't anything wrong with my lug bolts or anything of the sort as it's expensive as all hell the replace those.

So does any one have any idea as to what it could be?

Ok, just went out side to clear the drive way of the snow and took a recording of the sound I hear. Now I know for sure it aint the power steering since I didn't have the car fully turned on. And while I was doing this I noticed it squeals when turning the steering wheel to the right, and only squeals when I turn the steering wheel left until the point its in the nuetral position.

Uploaded sounds to megaupload, sry my phone only records in .amr it plays in quicktime.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=P8HNUCF1

Just checked the tire pressure and I have 30 psi on every tire exactly what I put in them 4 days ago.

The biggest thing is is that none of this happened before I switched out my tires. That's what has got me worrying.

Also just found this video and its the exact same sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_jaT...layer_embedded
Old 01-08-2010, 03:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Wheel squealing when turned

mine was doing the same thing, from what ive concluded.. its most likely lower ball joint, or upper ball joint. ive also heard it could be caused by upper control arm bushings, but its more of a metal/metal sound.
Old 01-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

TTT still having the problem
Old 01-09-2010, 08:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thats sounds like a ball joint or tie rod end.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how is ur axle>?
Old 01-09-2010, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

check out your ball joints..
Old 01-09-2010, 10:01 AM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My EM1 creaks when turning the wheel back and forth or when I hit bumps. It's worse when it's cold...especially if it was snowy the day before and a lot of moisture got onto the suspension.

I'm pretty sure that it's an upper ball joint on mine. If I squeeze the upper ball joint boot when I have the car in the shop, I can see a ton of rusty water coming out of it. However, the car doesn't really make the squeaking noise on the lift. So It has something to do with the suspension being loaded up.

Do similar experiments on your car...that way you can start narrowing things down. At this point, it's hard to E-fix your car.
Old 01-09-2010, 10:33 AM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

A creak from the front suspension when turning the steering wheel while sitting stationary is usually caused by a bad lower ball joint.
Old 01-10-2010, 04:55 PM

I heard bad lower ball joint as well. Mine does it when the car's moving also... and when the suspension goes through a bump cycle. I can do it while it's standing still...I can do it while it's moving...whatever. It sucks.

It seems like my noises are coming from the upper ball joint, however. Plus...the like...gallon of water that fell out of there kinda made me think upper ball joint. I kinda want to get a hold of a cheap upper control arm or something so I can install it and see if my sound goes away before I buy a OEM lower ball joint.

HOWEVER...I do notice that when I lift the car up, it stops making noise. If I put a jack under the lower control arm, it BARELY makes any noise. But if the car is on the ground with the wheels on...it creaks like you're having sex on an old bed.

So maybe it is the lower ball joint.

OP: Try unloading different parts of the suspension and see when the noise goes away. Lift the car up in the air and see if it goes away. Then lift up on the lower control arm so you put pressure on the upper ball joint but not the lower one. See if it makes noise then.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

scrubbing? some tires make alot of noise, some don't. listen to the average suv make a tight turn in a parking lot.

fyi: i did not take the time to listen to the video
Old 01-10-2010, 06:04 PM
be professional

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by B serious
I heard bad lower ball joint as well. Mine does it when the car's moving also... and when the suspension goes through a bump cycle. I can do it while it's standing still...I can do it while it's moving...whatever. It sucks.

It seems like my noises are coming from the upper ball joint, however. Plus...the like...gallon of water that fell out of there kinda made me think upper ball joint. I kinda want to get a hold of a cheap upper control arm or something so I can install it and see if my sound goes away before I buy a OEM lower ball joint.

HOWEVER...I do notice that when I lift the car up, it stops making noise. If I put a jack under the lower control arm, it BARELY makes any noise. But if the car is on the ground with the wheels on...it creaks like you're having sex on an old bed.

So maybe it is the lower ball joint.
Sounds like you may have multiple bad ball joints. You'd better get the car on a lift and check them for freeplay ASAP. Ball joints are not something to take lightly, because a broken ball joint will cause a wheel to fall off of the car.
Old 01-10-2010, 06:51 PM

^ lol relax. I know. I work at a shop. I've installed my share of suspensions and components. I also track my cars and set them up myself.

I've checked them for looseness. No looseness. I'm extremely sensitive about the "feel" of my suspension. If something doesn't feel right, I'll notice it/hear it/feel it right away and obsess about it till it's fixed.

The funny thing is...nothing feels off. The steering is still nice and tight, there's no clunking noises...no sticky steering...nothing. Just creaking.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

bad ball joint....