Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Whats the best oil filter for a D16Z6?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 12:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the best oil filter for a D16Z6?

Just got a new (used) D16Z6 and I wanna know what is the best oil filter to use? I'll be using Mobil 1 5W-30 Synthetic oil.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Whats the best oil filter for a D16Z6? (Deadlock281)

OEM
Old 09-06-2008, 12:54 PM

Default Re: Whats the best oil filter for a D16Z6? (Jdmb16sir2)

pureone
Old 09-06-2008, 12:58 PM
HT White Ops

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Whats the best oil filter for a D16Z6? (Frickr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Frickr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">pureone </TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 09-06-2008, 01:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Napa Gold (Wix)

good and cheap too
Old 09-06-2008, 01:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks guys . Any other opinions? AND please don't say just a name....give me a reason.
Old 09-06-2008, 01:31 PM

OEM will be the best but puralator pure one is also good they have been proven to filter better than crappy fram
Old 09-06-2008, 02:02 PM
HT White Ops

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deadlock281 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks guys . Any other opinions? AND please don't say just a name....give me a reason.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Purolator PureONEs filter the best! However, their flow suffers a little because of this.

Wix filters flow a little better, but they don't filter as good, sooo...

It's a trade-off of sorts - better filtering vs more flow - they're both V well built!

Having said that, I used to run Purolator PureONE PL24458 (over-sized) filters, but P quit making them a while back... really pissed me off going back to a PL14459 'teacup' filter!!!

Replacements for the PL24458:[*]WIX 51344[*]Napa Gold 1344

Truthfully, I'm *thinking* about switching to the Wix/Napa Gold (over-sized) filter and screw the extra 10 microns of filtering...

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Old 09-06-2008, 02:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the best oil filter for a D16Z6? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

Purolator is the best. not that im proud but i was a manager in a jiffy lube Fram Filters cost a fortune and they are the same the pure ones are by far the best.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Seagull Management

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: (Unit44justin)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Unit44justin &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">OEM will be the best but puralator pure one is also good they have been proven to filter better than crappy fram </TD></TR></TABLE>

OEM really aren't that special supposedly, that said I buy them, mostly to pad my reciepts from honda in the vain hope that it may help with the resale value of the car. to the OP, honestly in terms of real world performance i doubt you would see too much difference even comparing the best and worst filters you could find in terms of how long before you have engine problems that could be directly linked to particles in the oil.
Old 09-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Cool Cool Island Breezes. BOY-EE

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: (Deadlock281)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Deadlock281 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thanks guys . Any other opinions? AND please don't say just a name....give me a reason.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Give you a reason based on what? It's an oil filter. I'm sure they all work. On top of which, you never said what you use the car for...what mods you have done...anything.

The ONE reason to choose one oil filter over another: It filters oil better than other filters. So if someone recommends an oil filter, just assume that they think the brand they're using is the best.

That's like me asking: "what are the best pants in the whole world? I'm a human male. dont just give me an answer, I want a reason."

Can you answer that question?
Old 09-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (B serious)

Well if its a reason your looking for Ill be specific and wont call out brands you want the filter with the best sealing for no leaks and the more inlet holes the better it will be at filtering your oil. With that said the pure 1 has about 8 inlets as opposed to others that have only 5. Is that good enough 4 you?
Old 09-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (slvrcvc93)

If you ask any of the track guys, then 90% of them will tell you to stick with OEM and change out your oil on a regular basis. I guess the biggest reason is why change from something that already works fine?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (mrlegoman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrlegoman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">If you ask any of the track guys, then 90% of them will tell you to stick with OEM and change out your oil on a regular basis. I guess the biggest reason is why change from something that already works fine?</TD></TR></TABLE>
Because OEM are made by someone else and then painted Blue and honda put on it. Im not sure exactly who makes them for Honda (Im sure someone does) But when you can get the same filtering for cheaper just cause it doesnt say honda on it why wouldnt you??

The one I do know is for my truck I could go to the Dodge dealer and buy a "Dodge" oil filter for my truck well its actually made by Fleet Guard (and they are the ones who makes Cummins the motor in my truck) And why would I pay like $20 per filter from the Dodge Dealer when I can get a BETTER filter straight from Fleet Guard for cheaper than that? And yes I did say better Dodges OEM Filter for my truck doesnt filter down as far as a premium Fleet Guard filters do.

As for people Always Bad mouthing Fram who here can honestly say that they EVER had an issue from one? Im not talking my brothers, sisters, aunt uncle either ACTUAL PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. Fram has been around for a LONG time so they must be doing something right...

Oil Filter Debates are the same no matter what brand of car and in any forum.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

WIX...
but personally never had a problem with any oil filter even the 2 dollar parts store filters

Modified by jimmy o. at 11:00 AM 9/9/2008
Old 09-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Whats the best oil filter for a D16Z6? (BlackDeuceCoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BlackDeuceCoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Purolator PureONEs filter the best! However, their flow suffers a little because of this.

Wix filters flow a little better, but they don't filter as good, sooo...

It's a trade-off of sorts - better filtering vs more flow - they're both V well built!

Having said that, I used to run Purolator PureONE PL24458 (over-sized) filters, but P quit making them a while back... really pissed me off going back to a PL14459 'teacup' filter!!!

Replacements for the PL24458:[*]WIX 51344[*]Napa Gold 1344

Truthfully, I'm *thinking* about switching to the Wix/Napa Gold (over-sized) filter and screw the extra 10 microns of filtering...

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!</TD></TR></TABLE>

THIS is a GOOD reply!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:01 AM

My buddy had a fram filter fail on him as soon as he started the engine after changing the oil. The filter seperated at the crimp where the can meets the base. WHAT A MESS!!!!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Hamp FTW! They have some type of *release* valve to keep oil flow at a max with any psi
Old 09-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BiggieBert)

I've been using Purolator Pure1 on all my cars. Just make sure to change them at the proper intervals. I've read somewhere that Fram makes Honda filters???
Old 09-09-2008, 11:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VN712)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VN712 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've read somewhere that Fram makes Honda filters??? </TD></TR></TABLE>

From all the searching that I have been doing it seems like Honda NOW uses Fram for their filters where as they use to use Filtech.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Wiki &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the 15400-PLM-A01 is manufactured by filtech and is a MUCH MUCH better filter than Fram. Coincidently, the newer 15400-PLM-A02 filter that's replacing the A01's are made by Fram as well and should be avoided.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

So for all you people that use OEM Way to go you're using Fram unless you stocked up on the old ones.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vinceg99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vinceg99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
From all the searching that I have been doing it seems like Honda NOW uses Fram for their filters where as they use to use Filtech. So for all you people that use OEM Way to go you're using Fram unless you stocked up on the old ones.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Good work my friend. Lol at Honda oil filters.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (VN712)

Oh and if someone really wants to do a lot of reading go here its a heck of a good sight about a lot of different oil filters. http://people.msoe.edu/~yoderw....html

It is another one that says stay away from Fram but im sorry till I myself or I see it first hand I dont have any issues with Fram. I have used them on misc vehicles for over 10 years, my brother and brother in-law have both used them for longer than that and my Dad used them for even longer than them and no one has ever had an issue.

I will say though that once I do more motor work and also turbo I will step up to something with better filtering than a Fram, but if my car was stock internals I wouldnt have an issue with Fram.
Old 09-09-2008, 11:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes Fram makes Honda filters, but they make them to Honda Spec, not Fram aftermaket spec. So to compare the two I bet they would be different. Anyone Have a pic of the two next to each other?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (BiggieBert)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BiggieBert &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yes Fram makes Honda filters, but they make them to Honda Spec, not Fram aftermaket spec. So to compare the two I bet they would be different. Anyone Have a pic of the two next to each other? </TD></TR></TABLE>
Another thread I had saw some guy took them both apart and there was no difference only difference was the outside gasket insides were identical.

Hmmm Maybe Ill go and buy the 2 and cut them open...
Old 09-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Vinceg99)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Vinceg99 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Hmmm Maybe Ill go and buy the 2 and cut them open...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Quick Reply: Whats the best oil filter for a D16Z6?