Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

what is causing my inside tire to wear?

Old 04-08-2009, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is causing my inside tire to wear?

hey everyone, i have a stock ride height factory 94 honda civic ex with aftermarket rims. the thing is that i have had alignment ever since october 2008 and now, the inside tire of the left rear is eating away. can it be the wheel bearing? or something else?
Old 04-08-2009, 01:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Post Re: what is causing my inside tire to wear?

Alignment, over inflation, and under inflation would most likely be the problem. The place could have screwed back in Oct/Nov. Take it back to them. Never know what they could say. What tires do you have? I've had really low grade tires wear funny.
Old 04-08-2009, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: what is causing my inside tire to wear?

go get it aligned what size rims are they...might be that your toe and camber is off
Old 04-08-2009, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i also say alignment. it should wear that bad if its all stock.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if you have your old paperwork please post your numbers in this forum.

underinflation would wear out both outer and inner tread. over inflation will wear out the center tread.

its a camber issue. it cant be toe because if it was toe your right rear tire would wear the same or very close. to bad camber is not factory adjustable angle. would need a kit.

underinflation would wear out both outer and inner tread. over inflation will wear out the center tread.

is your steering wheel straight? does the car pull?

Last edited by waaBAAH; 04-08-2009 at 03:00 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Have a proper tire shop inspect your camber for any adjustment that it may need. Your best bet is getting an aftermarket camber kit for both front & back. If you have money to dish out, i would recommend Skunk2 unless you wanna save a nickel try other brands or ebay.
Best of luck!
Old 04-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

idk man iam sure its nothing bad..just replace tire
Old 04-08-2009, 03:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, dang i dont have the papers to show the caster, camber, or toe. however, my rim size are 17s. the tire size is 205/40ZR17 80W. well, anyways i did make an appointment to go to a shop and im gonna get it checked up. somehow, this shop sometimes say that it might be the wheel bearing or inner tie rods or outer tie rods. get what im say? it seems like they might know it but what if they're wrong? hmmmm????
Old 04-08-2009, 03:39 PM
New User

adjust camber after lowering
Old 04-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by hahashiiit
its not lowered
Old 04-08-2009, 04:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

another thing..its not really the shops fault. most shops have 6 months or 6k mile warranty. when your vehicle left the shop all angles that could be adjusted should have been within specs. more then likely they were. camber is non factory adjustable so the shop more then likely adjusted all the angles that could have been adjusted. in this case front toe and rear toe only. was your steering wheel off? did everything seem fine? then more then likely your alignment was in fact fine and ok. if rear toe was off you would have noticed it when you left the shop by a slight drift or whatever.

have you rotated your tires every 5k miles? proably not. this helps on tire wear.

your rims are not factory. the offset of the rims could have a huge effect on your scrub radius (would be front "axle" though). shops dont like aftermarket rims since this does play a part on alignment angles.

i doubt they will buy you a new tire. they will try to sell you a camber kit for that rear tire.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if you have a bad tie rod or ball joint allowing the tire to sit "loose" or cockeyed it will have the same effect as bad camber as if the car is lowered. take a look at those parts as well.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by watisjdm
go get it aligned what size rims are they...might be that your toe and camber is off
no camber adjustments on a stock civic. :-/

Originally Posted by 818SpoonITR
Have a proper tire shop inspect your camber for any adjustment that it may need. Your best bet is getting an aftermarket camber kit for both front & back. If you have money to dish out, i would recommend Skunk2 unless you wanna save a nickel try other brands or ebay.
Best of luck!
mmmmm all tire wear is camber

Originally Posted by hahashiiit
again not lowered...

wow reading ownz all the people on this thread.

as it was mentioned look for worn out bushings. can you jack up that tire? if so shake the wheel does it wobble or anything? look to see if anything is bent. and last if you see nothing get your alignment checked. shops by me will do it for free. tell them you want to check toe.

tire problems suck
Old 04-08-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by lileghatch
idk man iam sure its nothing bad..just replace tire
good input you are awesome. i am very glad there are people like you on this forum. it really makes all the older more knowledgable members want to spend time on this site. cheers to you buddy you rock!!! keep rocking on in 09'!!!!
Old 04-08-2009, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dividedas1
good input you are awesome. i am very glad there are people like you on this forum. it really makes all the older more knowledgable members want to spend time on this site. cheers to you buddy you rock!!! keep rocking on in 09'!!!!
i thought the same thing. hopefully they figure out the whole speak with knowledge or dont speak at all unwritten rule sooner then later.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

no camber adjustments on a stock civic. :-/

mmmmm all tire wear is camber

in this case it is camber. if it was toe it would be shared on other side. OP is seeing ONE tire wear on inside. thats camber!

if bad bushings (common problem), or bearings are bad or bent control arm or bent strut then once again.....it would share tire wear on the other side as well.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

excessive toe-in .
Old 04-08-2009, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DADOHCturbo
excessive toe-in .
excessive toe-in would wear on OUTSIDE edge, OP comkplains of INNER edge. and would wear BOTH of the rear tires, OP complains of ONE tire

its camber
Old 04-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

alright everyone, it seems i have another problem to add and try to figure this mystery out for me. everytime when i hit a line of small bumps, my steering wheel tends to go left and right a little. so whats the problem?
Old 04-08-2009, 05:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how wide are your tires? whats the rim offset?

this would be a front issue. could range from any component... weak struts, tie-rods inner and outer, rack and pinion, rack and pinion bushings, bent parts (alignemnt angles), lower/upper control arm bushings.

throw your stock tires back on and see if the vehicle acts the same. i bet either worn struts or bad offset with wide tires.

Last edited by waaBAAH; 04-08-2009 at 05:29 PM.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by waaBAAH
in this case it is camber. if it was toe it would be shared on other side. OP is seeing ONE tire wear on inside. thats camber!

if bad bushings (common problem), or bearings are bad or bent control arm or bent strut then once again.....it would share tire wear on the other side as well.
if toe was off on one tire why would that mess up the other tire? because of the car pulling it self? i don't agree with all of this though. speaking from experience. i had 1 bad bushing on the front end of my car ate the crap out of every tire i put on the drivers front. i replaced both of them because the other one was starting to go bad and it was fine ever since.

Originally Posted by lovelove
alright everyone, it seems i have another problem to add and try to figure this mystery out for me. everytime when i hit a line of small bumps, my steering wheel tends to go left and right a little. so whats the problem?
im guessing bad ball joints or a bad bushing some where. check your control arms. the bushings in them should be solid. and good looking ;-) lol not dryed up or cracked.
Old 04-08-2009, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lovelove
I think that's because of your wide tires. I have 215/40/16's and mine does that too.

As far as the tire wear, I've had issues with that too. When I had my wheels on at stock height, my tires wore more on the inside but mine was the same on all 4 tires, not just 1.
They're fine now since I lowered it and put on a camber kit.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if toe was off on one tire why would that mess up the other tire? because of the car pulling it self? i don't agree with all of this though. speaking from experience. i had 1 bad bushing on the front end of my car ate the crap out of every tire i put on the drivers front. i replaced both of them because the other one was starting to go bad and it was fine ever since.

im guessing bad ball joints or a bad bushing some where. check your control arms. the bushings in them should be solid. and good looking ;-) lol not dryed up or cracked.
toe is shared from side to side. if one tire is at -.50 inches and the opposite tire is at +.50 inches your car will share the toe resulting in 0 total toe (or rear thrust angle) and it will just either dog track down (rear toe) the road or have a crooked steering wheel (front toe). you have to understand the definition of toe first then you will know and understand better.

it is a common misconception that toe causes a pull and that toe wears out one tire. this is false.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, its all okay. even though, i could probably get a camber kit for the rear since i got the cambers for the fronts already. So, anyone agrees to it?
Old 04-09-2009, 03:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Just do the washer trick on the rear. No need to spend money on a kit unless you plan on adjusting it every day.