Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weird Whistling Noise, non-caps edit

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 08:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Whistling Noise, non-caps edit

Ok, hey guys, kinda new to the site and my car too but my car’s making this weird noise…
94 civic si..auto 2 door coupe….timing belt and tune up just done….
The noise is pretty loud, you can hear it from a fair distance…it sometimes happens for like 1 second and gone for like 10 more, but sometimes noise, 1 sec, noise, 1 sec, noise.
Noise happens when the car is warmed up
Common at idle, in driv thru’s, but also in park and neutral…..at least it’s got me avoiding fast food I guess
You can make it go away temporarily for a second by pressing the brake while idling in neutral or park
You can also make it happen by switching from park to reverse and back and forth….
If you are parked, turning the steering wheel can cause it too….however,
When the cooling fan turns on, even if the noise is happening at that second, it went away…
Battery voltage was 14.2 ish , and recently had a Honda timing be change, and a whack load of off the shelf little tune up parts.
I think it also makes the noise just as you kill the car, but I’m not sure if that’s cuz I turn the wheels in on the hill I live on….. I think I had a slow drip from my power steering pump but I cleaned the plastic guard close to the ground and sprayed off the pump, and it has been 4 days, no signs of dripping and the belt was not getting any fluid on it either…..please help my possessed car…..it’s already had someone try to steal it in 3 weeks of owning it, so $ is low…thanks in advance for my blog
Old 09-29-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Weird Whistling Noise, non-caps edit (poco94civicsi)

I doubt your car is possesed. You might chech the brake sheilds to see if they are bent. I replaced my rotors and pads and encountered the same problem.

All this might be is rubbing. The wheel/tire control arm rubbing against the guard. Or check to see if your timing belt cover is on snug.

To remedy this situation I would suggest putting your car up on a lift and checking to see if those guards are contacting. If so gently hammer them back/ or cut them off.

Another common thing you might have overlooked is checking the power steering, if you have it. Low fluid lvls and loose neglected belts will cause a loud screeching noise when u start your car; when u make sharp turns and while idleing at burgerking!

If its really that bad I'd suggest having a mechanic look at it, before you damage your car.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:49 PM

Default Re: Weird Whistling Noise, non-caps edit (Elwuudz)

i'll check the brake shields tomorrow, i am getting a slight vibration when i brake but my pads are fine, i just checked them round like 50% and rears are 60%.

i dont think it could the timing belt cover or the belt tension as it happened before i had the timing belt redone by honda, and the belt tensions seem ok, but i did have a shop put in a new water pump and timing belt tensioner....i'll double check these as well...fluid level looked ok thru the resevoir...i should really pop the cap though..

as far as the mechanic, i have a friend that used to work at honda, now he does turbos for vw's, he said he's never heard a noise like that before, and thought he heard it from the alternator a couple times, but also once from the timing belt cover area....

Any other suggestions, i have saturday through tuesday to figure it out.

ps, i put my system in, now at idle, my rpm's drop to around 500 when the bass hits hard....is this common?
Old 09-30-2005, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok that was alittle hard to read and i mighta missed this... prob me cuz im tired but i just wanted to get the obvious outa the way and ask if you had an intake by any chance....
Old 09-30-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Weird Whistling Noise, non-caps edit (Slow EJ8)

no intake, my car is as stock as stock can be.

i just did the:

air filter, fuel filter, pcv valve, cap and rotor, plugs, wires (accel 8mm).

sorry if that last post was fuzzy, just had a few drinks so it coulda been me...

the noise is like if you were to whistle at a steady pace/pitch, almost like a tea kettle...
Old 09-30-2005, 07:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poco94civicsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">no intake, my car is as stock as stock can be. </TD></TR></TABLE>

ok good, just wanted to make sure. You would be suprised how many "My car is whistling" threads i have seen and it ends up the person has an intake lol

ok well gl with fixin it... i guess this only equates to a free bump then
Old 10-04-2005, 08:43 AM

Default Re: Weird Whistling Noise, non-caps edit

One trip to Princess Auto later, I think I've found the culprit. Everything checks out but my alternator has developed a slow burnout...
When the car is running, without any load, it sits at 14.2/14.3
Now you turn on the light, rear defroster, high beams, heater, and it drops to 12.9
then I turn on my system and it goes to 12.5... no wonder my headlights started to dim as soon as I put the system in.
Used a stethascope and that weird noise comes from the alternator too, so I put 2 and 2 together and got it narrowed, but is there anything I should check, as far as connections or readings before I start looking for an alternator for when mine dies ?
Old 10-04-2005, 08:46 AM
Unceasing Measure

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poco94civicsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One trip to Princess Auto later, I think I've found the culprit. Everything checks out but my alternator has developed a slow burnout...
When the car is running, without any load, it sits at 14.2/14.3
Now you turn on the light, rear defroster, high beams, heater, and it drops to 12.9
then I turn on my system and it goes to 12.5... no wonder my headlights started to dim as soon as I put the system in.
Used a stethascope and that weird noise comes from the alternator too, so I put 2 and 2 together and got it narrowed, but is there anything I should check, as far as connections or readings before I start looking for an alternator for when mine dies ?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Replace the alternator before it dies. If you let it slowly die it can kill your battery and charging system as well. It's better to just slap a new one on now and deal with the hit to your wallet instead of doing so later when that jab will have become an uppercut .
Old 10-04-2005, 03:26 PM

Default Re: Weird Whistling Noise, non-caps edit (Archidictus)

Ok, sounds smart, considering I have the Mitsubitchy model, any suggestions on where I should pick one up at ? The brands I have an option are: Dixie $185, Bosch $299, BNF? $170 , Mitsubitchy $230, Champion $230....& Honda $430. All canadian prices.
Used ones I've priced from a few at $60-$70 and $100 and $125 all at wreckers.
Are these things easily rebuildable?
I know some places can test your old alternator or a used one, what should the specs under that test be ?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:47 PM

Location: San Diego, I miss Chicago, but love SD, CA, US of fuckin A

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by poco94civicsi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Are these things easily rebuildable?
</TD></TR></TABLE>

Overhaul inspection instructions.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Weird Whistling Noise, non-caps edit (HondaFanatic708)

does anyone also know if the stock alternators are capable enough of powering a stereo system ? someone told me to get a more powerful alternator, how do i find out what would fit, or are there specific companies i should consider ?