Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weird VSS problems and the mythic god fuse...

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 09:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weird VSS problems and the mythic god fuse...

Alright, my friend's having a problem where he's been through 3 VSS's and is still throwing a VSS CEL. His speedo isn't working either. Somebody said it could be his cluster...I didn't know the VSS needed the cluster to throw the voltage signal to the ECU to work VTEC, but he doesn't have any VTEC and is throwing a VSS CEL - now if you include that he has a new VSS (brand new) plus quite a few others tried in there, I doubt it's the VSS and so does he.

So somebody said it might be the VSS fuse.

I have never heard of the VSS fuse. Though I do recal getting flamed in some post because I said there was no O2 fuse. I've never had to change an O2 fuse, or a VSS fuse, I've never seen this fuse, EVER. I keep hearing about it on the down-low like it's an illegal hub or something. Keep hearing this ******* mythic **** about it but have yet to see it, or it to go bad. Does it actually exist? This one "god" fuse that is the fuse for all engoverning sensors that everybody keeps talkign about? If so, what's it called, and where is it....and how come it never goes bad?

So I guess it comes down to 2 simple points:
1 - where is this super fuse.
2 - what do you think could be wrong with my friend's VSS

What's wrong with it that would make it not work, it's ODB-II, would the cluster not make the VSS operate the VTEC properly? He checked all the wiring and it's all good...so what else is there? I didn't know the VSS needed the cluster to send the signal. I was driving my friend's GSR coupe which lacked any form of a cluster, dashboard, or interior and it still had IAB's and VTEC, but it was ODB-I, so I don't know. It's also possible it could have been looped or jumped and coulda still needed the cluster...

Anybody shed any light on any of these things?
Old 10-18-2006, 09:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Weird VSS problems and the mythic god fuse... (Syndacate)

yea, awsome job, the wire are ok, and just a lil more info... the speedo was jumping with last motor, still jumped after swap, thena quit working and cel
Old 10-18-2006, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For all the **** I got for saying there was no O2 sensor fuse, somebody better know something.
Old 10-19-2006, 05:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

bump, cuz im about to buy a cluster.
and i wanna know about this "o2 alt vss" fuse that i hear about so much
Old 10-19-2006, 05:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (THC1107)

Shhhh its a secret and I am not in the special handshake club to get the info ...... sorry but here is a bump to the top just for you its the best I can do
Old 10-19-2006, 10:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Blah
Old 10-19-2006, 01:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I refuse to believe at 54 viewings and all the **** I took for saying there was no O2 fuse that nobody will answer.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Up.
Old 10-19-2006, 03:35 PM

the vss fuse is in the main fuse box under the dash. its marked sp sensor... check the engine harness under the intake mani, some times the wire get cut and ground out

-joseph
Old 10-19-2006, 04:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lightcrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lightcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">the vss fuse is in the main fuse box under the dash. its marked sp sensor... check the engine harness under the intake mani, some times the wire get cut and ground out

-joseph </TD></TR></TABLE>

I dont think so.
lol, SP means spare fuse.
Old 10-19-2006, 04:34 PM

Default Speed Sensor

on a obd1 system its fuse 12 under the dash that goes to the speed sensor. It also is the fuse for

ELD UNIT
SPEED SENSOR
VOLTAGE REGULATOR
EACV
PGM FI MAIN RELAY
CRUISE CONTROL
Old 10-19-2006, 04:50 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC1107 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont think so.
lol, SP means spare fuse.</TD></TR></TABLE>

ok so the 2000 civic i just worked on the sp sensor wasn't the vss........ maby your a ****** idiot, maby you should learn wtf your talking about before you post, sp sensor means "speed sensor" not spare fuse.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BogusMalone &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">on a obd1 system its fuse 12 under the dash that goes to the speed sensor. It also is the fuse for

ELD UNIT
SPEED SENSOR
VOLTAGE REGULATOR
EACV
PGM FI MAIN RELAY
CRUISE CONTROL</TD></TR></TABLE>

^ same on a obd2 car except its in the center row 4 from the right 7.5a fuse.
it also is for the o2 heater power

thanks again
-joseph
Old 10-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lightcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

ok so the 2000 civic i just worked on the sp sensor wasn't the vss........ maby your a ****** idiot, maby you should learn wtf your talking about before you post, sp sensor means "speed sensor" not spare fuse.

thanks again
-joseph</TD></TR></TABLE>

lol, dont cry about it. god damn.
and acording to the book, there is no fuse for the vss.
maybe i should kwtf im talking about before i give **** like you that chance to make an *** of yourself
Old 10-19-2006, 09:41 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC1107 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">lol, dont cry about it. god damn.
maybe i should kwtf im talking about before i give **** like you that chance to make an *** of yourself</TD></TR></TABLE>

apparently you read the wrong book, whats the point of posting if you cant answer the question

oh and thanks for letting **** like me give real info and make a *** out of myself

-joseph
Old 10-19-2006, 09:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So what controls the O2 sensor?

I'm still annoyed about that. A bunch of H-T ********* bashed me for saying there's no O2 sensor, I wanna know where that mother ****** is.
Old 10-19-2006, 09:56 PM

you mean the o2 heater?
Old 10-19-2006, 10:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lightcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you mean the o2 heater?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Iono wtf it's called, I said the O2 sensor doesn't have a fuse and everybody flipped out on me.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:51 PM

well the o2 heater has a fuse. its the same one as the vss. 7.5 amp
Old 10-19-2006, 11:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by THC1107 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

lol, dont cry about it. god damn.
maybe i should kwtf im talking about before i give **** like you that chance to make an *** of yourself
</TD></TR></TABLE>

wow you get your answer and you flame him....god do you live in radiation?
Old 10-19-2006, 11:51 PM

Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">wow you get your answer and you flame him....god do you live in radiation?</TD></TR></TABLE>

thanks
Old 10-20-2006, 05:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sleepy_Red_hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Sleepy_Red_hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

wow you get your answer and you flame him....god do you live in radiation?</TD></TR></TABLE>

"I dont think so.
lol, SP means spare fuse. "

I dint flame anyone, dipshit flamed me for saying "i dont think so"

learn to read.

Old 10-20-2006, 05:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lightcrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well the o2 heater has a fuse. its the same one as the vss. 7.5 amp </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ahhh...

Hot ****, that's the fuse I'm talking about then.

Found that son of a bitch..

Now does anybody wanna tell me why it NEVER goes bad?
Old 10-20-2006, 07:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I refuse to believe at 54 viewings and all the **** I took for saying there was no O2 fuse that nobody will answer.</TD></TR></TABLE>

And of the 54 viewings, you wanna know how many were shaking their head because this answer and the one you took so much **** for could be found in the Helms manual which a) there seems to have been more than a few threads made recently that have links to them...like hondahookup.com or b) that even after giving you so much ****, you still haven't learned how to look up answers to simplistic questions like this.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Now does anybody wanna tell me why it NEVER goes bad?</TD></TR></TABLE>

What? If it never goes bad, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Honda issued a TSB for 96-98 Civics about this very problem. There was a wire harness that was allowed to rub on the intake manifold and resulted in blowing the 7.5A alternator SP fuse. Now, just because it says alternator does NOT mean that it only pertained to the alternator. This can easily be seen in the Helms manual....if you had one.

And no, you don't need the cluster to make the VSS work....not for OBD1/2 Civics anyway.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EE_Chris)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by EE_Chris &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">And of the 54 viewings, you wanna know how many were shaking their head because this answer and the one you took so much **** for could be found in the Helms manual which a) there seems to have been more than a few threads made recently that have links to them...like hondahookup.com or b) that even after giving you so much ****, you still haven't learned how to look up answers to simplistic questions like this.

What? If it never goes bad, wouldn't that be a good thing?

Honda issued a TSB for 96-98 Civics about this very problem. There was a wire harness that was allowed to rub on the intake manifold and resulted in blowing the 7.5A alternator SP fuse. Now, just because it says alternator does NOT mean that it only pertained to the alternator. This can easily be seen in the Helms manual....if you had one.

And no, you don't need the cluster to make the VSS work....not for OBD1/2 Civics anyway.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Well sorry, I didn't see it in the helms manual, I've never even heard of this fuse none-the-less had to change it.
Old 10-20-2006, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So it is true that there is a VSS fuse for OBD1 civics? Can someone tell me exactly which it is?

Quick Reply: Weird VSS problems and the mythic god fuse...