Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

weird noises on my EM1, they seem to plague me

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weird noises on my EM1, they seem to plague me

Alright so basically I've noticed some weird noises coming from my EM1 that were not there previously, I don't think, when I got the car. It's pretty hard to explain noises or exactly when they happen, but I'll try to be as specific as I can.

The first noise is kind of a "hissing" sounds that sounds like something is LIGHTLY maybe hitting up against something else when turning, and this usually happens in high gears (4-5) when I accelerate ONLY, not when I'm not accelerating. It's not too loud and I really have to listen to hear it, but it's definitely there. Now, I don't have an aftermarket intake - it's the stock Honda OEM air box and I know what an intake pulling air sounds like, and it's not it.

The other noise is usually at low RPMs in low gear. Such as when letting off in first or after in second, I can hear what sounds like a kind of ... well, it sounds like metal hitting or scraping against something, and it can get pretty loud. I first noticed it one time in reverse, and ever since it's been happening in first mostly and sometimes second. It just sounds like a general scraping, but not exactly "grinding" and it doesn't happen constantly when in gear just right after I've started moving, and sometimes even when I'm not moving and just turned on the car.

If anyone has any idea what these could be, I'd really appreciate it. Just kind of frustrating that my cars always seem to come with/acquire these weird "noises" that I have a hard time diagnosing. Also, the latter noise, I tried to just turn on the car and rev the engine to see if I heard it, but nothing. So I think it might be only when the car is in gear, especially if moving slowly.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 03-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: weird noises on my EM1, they seem to plague me

Check your shift linkage. Might be hitting something.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by DeathLens
Check your shift linkage. Might be hitting something.
Shall do, I was also reading up on it at:

http://www.clutchwizard.com/diagnosis.htm

And it seems like I could have clutch chatter. No idea if that is actually it, I'm gonna continue to listen to the car and feel out what's going on. Thanks for the help! Further opinions always welcome
Old 03-09-2009, 02:27 AM

anyone else?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

on my em1 i was running the dc sports header and they have a bolt thing on on it for you to bolt it up to the car so it doesnt move well i had that problem it only scraped at 32 and 3900 rpm and it gets real loud and now also i have a real low rubber sound comming from my intake somewhere but i cant find it
Old 03-09-2009, 06:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check your heat shields for your exhaust. alot of thimes at low rpms there seems to be a vibration chatter noise that has occured in every one of my hondas. while under the car i notices all of my heat shields were very slightly loose and i just removed them. and the noise went away.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by tougetuned_ef
check your heat shields for your exhaust. alot of thimes at low rpms there seems to be a vibration chatter noise that has occured in every one of my hondas. while under the car i notices all of my heat shields were very slightly loose and i just removed them. and the noise went away.
Thanks man, will check. Appreciate it!