Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weird noise...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 07:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird noise...

I'm hearing a weird noise when i brake. It's kinda like a clicking sound. Could this be a warped brake? I Know its no the axle or hub bearing already checked for that just haven't had time to take of the rim and look at it yet. Also I was wondering if it could be a mount cuz it makes it when i accelerate every now and then. Thanks for any help. Been going on for about a month now.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Weird noise... (tabrisakakaoru)

Just had similar problem on my EK. If it's the same problem, the rotor is warped and the pads are moving causing the sound.
Old 02-19-2005, 07:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Weird noise... (Ninety5Ex)

When you back up in the morning and apply the brakes,the pads shift slightly in the calipers. This makes the "clicking noise"...
Then you go forward and the next time you hit the brakes you hear it again.You shouldnt hear the click anymore until you brake in reverse and the pads shift again...
I used to work at the dealership and there was a service buletin on this for some vehicles...The noise is from the clearance between the pads and the calipers and is normal.They do this to reduce corrosion between the two...
You can remedy it sticking a piece of paper on the pad tabs to take up the clearance,but eventually it will deteriorate away and the click will come back...This is what we did to prove to the customers this is what was going on...
Old 02-19-2005, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird noise... (PyroProblem)

Hey thanks, but it does it all the time when I brake. So it is a warped brake then right? If so how much is a new rotor, and should I just get bigger brakes while I'm working on it? Thanks
Old 02-19-2005, 11:00 PM

Default Re: Weird noise... (tabrisakakaoru)

If you replace anthing on one side of your brakes....make sure you replace the exact same things on the other side for your car!! Very important that you replace things in pairs or you'll be fucked. Rotors range from 12.99 per rotor to 100 per rotor. I'd go with some Brembo Blank Rotors which are for sale in the Sponser Classifed Section!
Old 02-19-2005, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Check out the sponser marketplace here on HT for brakes and such. Brembo blank rotors are about $50 the pair and some ceramic brake pads are about $45.

You cant just get "bigger brakes", you must either make a bracket for the caliper since the diameter of the rotor will increase or just swap out the front knuckle or spindle for GSR's. FIY: Although by upgrading to a big brake kit you will have better stopping power, you can lose horsepower.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Andres-eh2)

Easiest way to find out if your rotors are warped is to do about 60mph and hit the brakes moderately...
If the steering wheel shakes at all,your rotors are warped...
You can have them re-surfaced if you like and if they are not too thin.This is the cheapest way but I do not know if this will solve your noise problem...

I have personally never heard of warped rotors causing clicking noises...

If you want to upgrade your brakes,I suggest a different compound of brake pads like EBC greens, or Hawks both of which will stop you in a hurry. Bigger rotors will require you to invest more $ for caliper brackets and/or spindles and/or bigger calipers and rotors all of which can be expensive...
Old 02-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (PyroProblem)

I finally got time to check them today. A hard braking about a week ugo moved the pad a little out of place. Every thing is good now. Thanks for the help. This is why Honda-tech is awesome.