Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Weird electrical problem after sitting

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2007, 10:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird electrical problem after sitting

I just got back from school like 3 days ago, and my car had been sitting for ~10 weeks (unless my parents started it, probably not). When I got back, it wasn't starting. Of course, there was a dead battery which I charged, but that was only the beginning...

The engine was turning over now that the battery was charged. I then realized that my fuel pump wasn't coming on (Walbro 255, so you can tell when it's on or not). I tested with a multimeter, and the ground was fine, but I wasn't getting any power. So, I temporarily ran a fused wire with a switch on it from the battery to the fuel pump. This turned it on, but the car wouldn't start still (just turned over).

Next problem: found out my injectors weren't getting power. At this point, I came to the conclusion that it's gotta be the main relay. So a friend came over, and he helped me jump it so that it's running now. This is how we jumped it:

NOTE: The picture is kinda wrong, my bad. That's actually the plug that goes into the main relay, not the relay itself. Also, the two places where I jumped it have two wires coming out the back.

So now that I jumped it, I can drive to work and stuff until I get it fixed... But I don't wanna do this for any longer than I have to.

Anyways, so using that fused wire (I took that one power wire off the battery before, and am now using the one in the diagram), things seem to be working. I drove to the junk yard, grabbed a main relay, and IT DOESN'T WORK. Does the same thing it did with my original relay: tries to turn over a few times, sputters once or twice (sounds like exhaust coming out), and then just dies.

Forgot to mention, at the beginning of this fiasco, I checked all fuses (under hood and dash). For the hood fuse box, all fuses had power on both sides. Under the dash, all fuses either had power on both sides or didn't on both sides (so if it didn't, it's either a spare or headlights or something I wasn't using).

Someone please help... I've no idea what's going on, I'm completely stumped and I need to get this fixed ASAP.

Cliff notes:
Electrical problem
Determined it's not main relay
Checked fuses, they're fine

Modified by Toroke at 11:54 AM 6/9/2007
Old 06-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Weird electrical problem after sitting (Toroke)

Bump before I leave for work... Hopefully it holds together.
Old 06-09-2007, 03:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Bump.
Old 06-09-2007, 05:04 PM

get a wiring diagram and see what actuates the relay, and make sure all the relay wires have the correct voltage or ground they should.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Try finding a main relay that's known to be good, not getting a part from a junkyard. Also take a look here http://techauto.bravehost.com/mainrelay.html