Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Water leak passenger floor

Old 04-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak passenger floor

I know this topic has been covered many times, but I have tried to fix it with no sucess. I stripped the interior, covered the a/c fresh air vent, cleared the a/c water hose under the dash, replaced the windshield, fixed the rust around the windshield, resealed the areas around the corners of the windshield under the fenders. It still looks like moisture is pooling around the bottum corner under the ecu. Is there something i didnt try yet? It doesnt look like the door seal is leaking. I dont want to resort to pulling the dash.

Your help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Re: Water leak passenger floor

Does it only leak when it rains? Or only when the A/C is running?
Old 04-06-2013, 02:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you used seam sealer around this area and the open areas directly below the hinge?

Old 04-06-2013, 03:19 PM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am the rare owner of a leak free Delsol; though I feel your pain. My other friends Delsols have various leak issues that are stuborn and exspensive leaks. It sounds like you have made some serious efforts in tackling this problem with little or no results.
More info is needed to help though; does it allways stay wet? Riany driving only? AC on only? Are you sure it is water and not a coolant leak?
Old 04-06-2013, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I was not more clear. I have a 1996 Civic hatch. It only leaks when it rains, It does not when the A/C is on. If its dry out and I drive it, it does not get wet. Yes I did put a ton of seam sealer all over that area. It does not smell like coolant.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:15 AM
I am Jack's...

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have been thinking about this a while and suggest this first aproach. Go to the nearest Lowes/ Home Depot and get the very best (most exspensive $12-20) can of water sealer rubberized spray can. This stuff is amazing and better than undercoating as it will fill cracks and not just a paste over.
Seccond, peal back your carpet and clear the area for application. Coat it with one medium layer, don't get it on ac box or computer etc.. Some might say go underneath first, trust me. The factory seals them both ways, this is to find out if the leak is higher in the chassis first; and is easiest to do. Now wait for the rain or get a friend with a garden hose to blast from underneath where I suspect the leak to be from. These cars have mud flap screws and inner fenderwell splash protectors. Are all of these present. Even a small hole in a big splashing tirewell will penetrate well.
If the leak is still there after this than remove the fender and liberally coat the entire pillar support (hinge area) up to the windshied and underneath the floor area on the leak side of course. Wheel well too. This repair will stop all water, do not goop caulking on and if it was done allready, remove as best you can. Body seam sealer is not caulking. Good luck.
Old 07-14-2020, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by speedjunkie_g35
Have you used seam sealer around this area and the open areas directly below the hinge?

you're the first I've seen online to direct me in this direction. I have tried a dozen of other things with no success, so I'm hoping after this sealant dries I don't have to deal with this stupid issue again. I know this is an old post, but thanks anyway