Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Want to DIY fabric dye seats...What type of material are honda/integra seats

Old 08-25-2010, 06:54 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want to DIY fabric dye seats...What type of material are honda/integra seats

Does somebody for some crazy reason know what material/blend honda and integra seats are?

I'm buying some teg seats for my 6th gen and I'm going to attempt to dye them. I'm NOT going to use spray on paint/"dye".

I've searched every single site/thread on how to dye seats and everybody always comes up with the solution of spraying them with SEM vinyl and fabric dye or something similar.

It's not dye...it's *****ng paint. It won't be even unless you drench it and will create a very uncomfortable stiffness.

If nobody knows exactly what it is I'm going to assume it's some type of polyester blend and go ahead and use polyester dye...if this works I will end up doing a D.I.Y. writeup on how to truely dye OEM seats.

Thanks for the input in advance.
Old 08-25-2010, 07:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Want to DIY fabric dye seats...What type of material are honda/integra seats

Originally Posted by TwoFacedCustoms
Does somebody for some crazy reason know what material/blend honda and integra seats are?

I'm buying some teg seats for my 6th gen and I'm going to attempt to dye them. I'm NOT going to use spray on paint/"dye".

I've searched every single site/thread on how to dye seats and everybody always comes up with the solution of spraying them with SEM vinyl and fabric dye or something similar.

It's not dye...it's *****ng paint. It won't be even unless you drench it and will create a very uncomfortable stiffness.

If nobody knows exactly what it is I'm going to assume it's some type of polyester blend and go ahead and use polyester dye...if this works I will end up doing a D.I.Y. writeup on how to truely dye OEM seats.

Thanks for the input in advance.
Good call on not doing the paint dye, it sucks. I did it, my seats looked awesome... for about 4 to 6 months. Now they're like a tan/black tie-dye mess. I'm in for an answer on this.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Want to DIY fabric dye seats...What type of material are honda/integra seats

I don't know what fabric but I used clothes dye ritz it looks good for a minute until I washed it it just made a darker tint...

Last edited by skylitejdm; 01-02-2011 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 614 Likes on 486 Posts

Call up a local interior/upholstery guy. I'm willing to bet he could tell you.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

These type of "dye" jobs always end up looking like ***! Don't waste your money. Just get some new seats. You will end up spending the same amount of money end the end anyway.
Old 12-31-2010, 01:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ I have some integra seats...and I just want them black. They always turn out like **** because people don't use the right dye...if it's a polyester cotton blend...and you did it right...i.e. take off the fabric...and stir it in a big boiling pot with the correct dye it would actually chemically alter the fabric and be a very very dark and even color. I did a little more research since this original post and I just don't have the time to take the fabric off right now.
Old 01-02-2011, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

So are the sets poly cotton?