Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VTECH questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 07:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VTECH questions

I purchased a 97 Honda Civic Sedan EX brand new back in 1997. I never really knew if my car had a VTECH engine or not. Just this year, I had to purchase an exhaust manifold for my vehicle, and was told that the part was different for a VTECH or a non-VTECH. I was told I had a non-VTECH engine, and that is the part I ordered, and that is the part that fit. Just last week, I was calling Honda dealerships to get a definite response on whether my vehicle is VTECH or not. Giving my VIN#, I was told that it probably is, though I'm also told it isn't really clear. Is there a way I can find this out for sure?
First off, VTECH is not written on the valve cover. Second, I don't notice any difference when I'm driving my car. There is supposedly a sort of power boost when driving at higher RPMs with a VTECH I'm told, though I don't notice anything. The Honda manual says all '97 EXs made in the US are VTECH, though the ones made in the Cananda are not VTECH. All I know, is that my engine was made in Japan.
What is VTECH exactly? Is there a way I can examine the vehicle myself to see if the car is VTECH, since there seems to be so much confusion over giving my VIN# and getting a definite response.
Any help would be appreciate. Thanks.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTECH questions (malleable)

1) Its VTEC not VTECH, you are about to get flammed to hell for that. VTECH is a phone company.

2) Your car is a VTEC, all 96-00 Civic EX's were.

3) To identify it, look at the top left corner of the valve cover, you will see a small cylinder maybe 3 inches high and an 1.5" diamter. Thats the VTEC Solenoid, if your car does not have one, it is not VTEC.

4) VTEC is triggered at 5200 on the EX (at least thats when I feel it on my ex), you will notice, if any, a small boost in the cars performance. If you put a good intake on it, you will hear and feel it a little better.

as for what VTEC actually does, search, its been covered 17374849832732 times.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Electrician

m4d tYt3 vT4cH y0!

Yes, you have VTEC.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:30 AM

Default Re: (Dimi)

VTECH is a phone...

VTEC (which stands for Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) is an electronic and mechanical system in some Honda engines that allows the engine to effectively have multiple camshafts. As the engine moves into different rpm ranges, the engine's computer can activate alternate lobes on the camshaft and change the cam's timing. In this way, the engine gets the best features of low-speed and high-speed camshafts in the same engine.

howstuffworks is your friend
Old 09-02-2004, 07:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTECH questions (malleable)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by malleable &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
What is VTECH exactly? </TD></TR></TABLE>

VTEC VTEC VTEC VTEC VTEC... VTECH is a phone.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by malleable &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">What is VTECH exactly? Is there a way I can examine the vehicle myself to see if the car is VTECH.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, there will be a bronze / gold cylinder at the back left side of the engine near the valve / cam cover.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by malleable &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I purchased a 97 Honda Civic Sedan EX brand new back in 1997. I never really knew if my car had a VTECH engine or not. </TD></TR></TABLE>

All 96-00 Civic EXs had VTEC. The motor is a D16Y8.

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by malleable &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> Second, I don't notice any difference when I'm driving my car. There is supposedly a sort of power boost when driving at higher RPMs with a VTECH I'm told, though I don't notice anything. </TD></TR></TABLE>

You can't 'feel' VTEC. If you can, the engine isn't tuned properly. It allows the car to make power in the upper rev range, and the power transition is smooth. You'd be able to tell the difference in the engines if you drove a DX; No power up top whatsoever.

For more info: http://www.howstuffworks.com and search for VTEC. There's some good info and animations on how exactly it works.

EDIT: Looks like y'all beat me too it.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTECH questions (EX_AutoXer)

Old 09-02-2004, 08:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VTECH questions (DemostheneZ)

I think the question has been answered and there is going to be PLENTY more flaming, so this ones getting the lock.