Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Vtec problems, is it related to ECT sensor

Old 07-17-2007, 05:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vtec problems, is it related to ECT sensor

I have done some research on the archived section and only 2 topics on the ECT and vtec related issues.

I just rebuilt my b16a2 and dropped it in today(pics soon to come), has probe forged pistons and rods, block guard, titanium retainers and springs, bored to almost 1.7, lowered compression due to being told it will handle more boost from a good turbo which ill have soon....etc etc. anywayz, we got 1 code when we put it in. A ECT sensor was bad accoding to the computer. We replaced the ECT sensor on the front of the motor to the left. After replacing it, reseting it, it still popped up. Is there a chance the sensor was bad from the beginning, or what else could cause the computer to read bad ECT sensor? Also the vtec isnt kicking in around 5400 like it use to before. Doing the things ive done to the motor, will it affect the rpm the vtec kicks in at? Also i read it affects if it kicks in at all, is that really the case on why it isnt engaging period? The motor is also idling at 1500 rpms, is this due to something else or the ECT sensor not working? This was dropped in my 00 civic SI by the way. I also know I shouldnt be getting down on it with it being just dropped in. I only went past 5000 rpms twice to see if vtec would kick in, went to 6000rpms and nothing. Anyones input or answers to these questions would be great. Thanks.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Vtec problems, is it related to ECT sensor (Sorcereryk)

Did you replace the sensor in the head, or the thermostat housing? The ect is located in the thermostat housing, I believe. The tempature switch is in the head.
Old 07-17-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Re: Vtec problems, is it related to ECT sensor (BBY98EX)

a buddy of mine did it, i remember the wire chasing to the left of the head, he took it out and replaced there. i was actually out buying some things when he did it, so im not sue, just what he told me had to replace....
Old 07-17-2007, 07:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Vtec problems, is it related to ECT sensor (BBY98EX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by BBY98EX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Did you replace the sensor in the head, or the thermostat housing? The ect is located in the thermostat housing, I believe. The tempature switch is in the head.</TD></TR></TABLE>

The thermoswitch (fan switch) is in the thermostat housing, temp sensor is in the head.