Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

VERY bad idle problem Please HELP!!

Old 04-13-2009, 11:45 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon6 VERY bad idle problem Please HELP!!

I own a stock 99 civic EX. At first when I bought the car it had a really weird bouncing idle and it was very high. I adjusted the idle screw and it was fine. About 2 months ago I was driving to work and it started idling high. And the warmer the engine got the worse the idle was. It jumping up and down then I was at a stop and when I would take off it would kinda jump and knock if If I didnt let the clutch out really slow and give it a lot of gas. Then if I slowed down too much it would buck like crazy. When i let off the gas it freaks out until I give it more gas and its fine if I keep going faster and faster (not ideal) The part that I really find odd is that it does it every day when the engine heats up. I have about 20 mins before it starts doing this unless I really rod the car around then I have about 10-15 mins. It never fails. Its pissing me off. I know the motor mounts need replaced but I doubt thats the issue. I have checked for vaccum leaks, checked the coolant, and I have read that most of the time its the IACV. But my situation is more then just a pulsing idle. I have to pull the car over and let it cool down all the way if I want to go any further. I dont have a lot of money to work with and I wanna fix the problem asap. Any suggestions on what to do first would be GREATLY appreciated!!! Sorry for the super long post just nobody in my area knows **** about hondas.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: VERY bad idle problem Please HELP!!

mine is doing that to but my car does not over heat,i know my problem is beaing caused by bad distributor thats why im rebiulding it this weekend you should try a friend distributer on your car and see what happens,even tho that wont solve your heating problem,is your check engine light on?
Old 04-14-2009, 06:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

dude.. enter key use it.

id love to help but my eyes cross trying to read that
Old 04-14-2009, 07:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont know if this pertains to the subject, but my car once it would warm up it had a bad idle problem also, It comes to be that I had one of the bolds that holds th throttle body missing, once I replaced it, no more idle problems
Old 04-14-2009, 07:03 PM
New User

Icon6 Re: VERY bad idle problem Please HELP!!

sorry bout the long post at the start. Anyway took my car to autozone today to have the check engine light problem checked.

Catalyst system effciency below threshold bank
Probable Cause

1. A/F ratio concern
2. Air leak near Ho2s
3. Ignition system concern
4. Faulty catalytic converter.

It threw another code with the IACV as well. Im no mechanic so do any of these throw a red flag as to why it acts like it is over heating? Most stories I have read about IACV sound like it does it the whole time not just when the engine heats up.