Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Valve Tick - How do I diagnose the issue? This noise is driving me insane!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2007, 06:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Valve Tick - How do I diagnose the issue? This noise is driving me insane!!!

I have a very annoying slight ticking in my B16A2 (2000). The noise is like a slight rattle, something loose, sounds like static from a radio.

It occurs in any gear from 2750+, more noticeable in the 3-4K range, can definitely hear it when accelerating. But when I VTEC, the motor noise overpowers it so I don't notice it (or I don't pay attention).

I will try to get some sound clips.

I had the valve lash adjusted, first time the mechanic did it too tight which gave a knocking like noise, then he loosen it and its more noticeable before I even had an adjustment. He replaced the injectors with my old D16Y8, same thing. Happens when driving or idling.

My idle is fine, starts great (except once when I overfilled it with oil). Decent acceleration in VTEC. I did lose to a stock B20 EK Hatchback but he said he has pulled away from many Si. Power seems okay, its shitty slow when not in VTEC. I am getting decent fuel economy. 7.8L/100KM for pure Hwy @ 120km/hr, average of 8-9L/100KM for city driving. FuelEconomy.gov shows MPG of 10.7L/100km city and 8.1L/100km hwy.

Could it be an exhaust leak? I am confident it is coming from the head. Could it be bad LMA but then this is a 3rd gen B16 with the new LMA style so shouldn't it last? Could it be bent valves? What should I check? I do not have a leak down tester. The car runs a bit rich since its dark grey/black on the spark plugs.

I am tempted to get an exhaust to cover up the noise since my mechanic said not to worry about it but I might boost later so no point getting an exhaust right now.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Valve Tick - How do I diagnose the issue? This noise is driving me insane!!! (Azxster)

look for carbon around the flange of the exhaust manifold, or a cracked exhaust manifold.....either of those will give you more of a ticking sound like you describe. Also i'd recommend going to a honda dealership or a place that specializes in hondas and get your valves readjusted if you are not capable of doing so yourself....the fact that the first time he over tightened them and when you took it back he "loosened them up" makes me believe he really doesn't know what the hell he was doing.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Valve Tick - How do I diagnose the issue? This noise is driving me insane!!! (forcefedferio)

Also are you sure that it is not you injectors? Mine are loud but not to the extreme that you are describing. Just an idea.

Good luck, maybe just take it to a shop and let them check it out. They will be able to give a better diagnosis of the problem.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:28 PM

Default Re: Valve Tick - How do I diagnose the issue? This noise is driving me insane!!! (Civichatch2k)

I am sure its not my injectors... I used my old one from the Y8 which were not noisy.

COULD IT BE TIMING BELT? BAD INSTALLATION?

Could the timing belt explain the noise, slight jerkiness (I would accelerate, and sometimes it kicks back slightly), seldom start up problems (doesn't hold the idle, have to hold throttle for 30 seconds or so).

What are some TB problems? Off a tooth? Loose?
Old 10-27-2007, 06:02 PM

Default Re: Valve Tick - How do I diagnose the issue? This noise is driving me insane!!! (Azxster)

You can hear it around 3-4K rpm

Please help, this is annoying me