Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

b18b1 swapped eg problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default b18b1 swapped eg problems

I want to start off by saying these issues only happened once. The car has been swapped for about 2 years now.
The first problem:

The other day I had to get gas, everything was fine. Turn the car off got my gas, then I start it back up and it started kind of weird, but it started and it was idling bad. I just drove it not even a few feet and saw the large amount of white smoking coming out of the exhaust. I pulled over and looked at the smoke and notice the car was idling better and it was no longer smoking. The car drove fine after that, even did a couple of pulls and no issues.

The second problem:

This actually happened today. I've been keeping an eye on everything since that first issue happened and for the last couple of days. I've just been turning the car on letting it idle, and drive it hard to see if everything is ok. Well today, I turn it on and it died, went to start it again, it started and it idled fine, smoking because it's cold out, so I let it warm up. Very light smoke at this point. I go and drive the car and do I first to second gear pull and when I went to shift into second, it's like the car just lost power or something. It stayed at 2000 rpm and when I would put it in second gear it wouldn't move it was like it was idling or something. Was about to put my hazards on when the car came back and I drove it home. I let it sit and idle, I see the temp gauge going up just above the halfway point. I pop the hood to just see if anything is leaking, didn't see any anti-freeze or anything. Look at the temp gauge again and it's back just below the half way point. Took the car back out and it drove just fine.

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to cars, so any help is appreciated.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:29 PM
-Intl Steve Krew

Received 183 Likes on 161 Posts
Default Re: b18b1 swapped eg problems

Was the initial smoke sweet smelling or did it smell like burning oil?

Old 01-05-2019, 06:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Caoboy
Was the initial smoke sweet smelling or did it smell like burning oil?

I just went back out to see. Before I started it, I went to look at the oil and it looked fine. Looked at the radiator and it was still full. So, I started it and it did like a cut, but then came on. No, smoke this time, I was smelling the fumes and it was a little sweet smelling at first, but it just mainly smelled like gas after like 30 seconds.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 328 Likes on 308 Posts

Some air is trapped in the cooling system.

Bleed the cooling system, and top off radiator and reservoir with coolant.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by muellersfan
Some air is trapped in the cooling system.

Bleed the cooling system, and top off radiator and reservoir with coolant.
I will give that a shot, thank you.
Old 01-05-2019, 07:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Chev
I will give that a shot, thank you.
If bleeding temporarily eliminates the intermittent wild swings of the temp gauge and the idle problems but the same problems eventually return, then rent a block test kit to check whether exhaust gas from the cylinders is entering the cooling system (blown head gasket).
Old 01-06-2019, 01:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If bleeding temporarily eliminates the intermittent wild swings of the temp gauge and the idle problems but the same problems eventually return, then rent a block test kit to check whether exhaust gas from the cylinders is entering the cooling system (blown head gasket).
Could this also explain why when I gave it gas and went to shift to second I lost throttle response, it just stayed at 2000 rpms and I couldnt give it gas in gear or neutral, but then it came back and was fine.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:27 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Could this also explain why when I gave it gas and went to shift to second I lost throttle response, it just stayed at 2000 rpms and I couldnt give it gas in gear or neutral, but then it came back and was fine.
To me, that sounds like an intermittent problem with some part of the ignition system. Check the coil, igniter, and the ignition switch.
Old 01-07-2019, 01:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
To me, that sounds like an intermittent problem with some part of the ignition system. Check the coil, igniter, and the ignition switch.
I decided to go look at my spark plugs, I don't know why I didn't do this before. They all looked fine, except for number 2 which had oil all over it. They were also gapped to .35 to I gapped them to .44. My ignition timing is also retarded all the way. When I went to change my timing belt 4 months ago, timing was off by a tooth, so my friend retarded my timing until we could readjust the belt. We readjusted it, but never adjusted the ignition timing. Could this have called that issue where my throttle just cut out? I asked my friend and he said maybe a sensor or something.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They all looked fine, except for number 2 which had oil all over it.
If cylinder 2 has similar compression as the other three, then a cyl 2 valve seal may be leaking oil into the cylinder and fouling the plug. If so, this is a separate problem from the air in the cooling system and the possible blown head gasket.

And yes, you need to properly adjust the ignition timing. Misadjusted ignition timing can definitely cause engine hesitation.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If cylinder 2 has similar compression as the other three, then a cyl 2 valve seal may be leaking oil into the cylinder.
That part I already knew. I get about 500 miles and then I have to add another quart lol (It's leaking too). I would have replaced them already, but I have a b16a2 head I'm going to be putting on once I get it machined and have the money for new valve springs. I'm going to be checking compression for it soon.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

And yes, you need to properly adjust the ignition timing. Misadjusted ignition timing can definitely cause engine hesitation.
So, like hesitation like it doesn't respond? Because it was like 15 seconds of me giving it gas and nothing happened it just stayed at 2000 rpm. (Sorry, I don't know a ton when it comes to cars, but weird things have happened).
Old 01-07-2019, 02:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

So, like hesitation like it doesn't respond? Because it was like 15 seconds of me giving it gas and nothing happened it just stayed at 2000 rpm. (Sorry, I don't know a ton when it comes to cars, but weird things have happened).
Yes.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yes.
Ok, I will try to do this some time this week and see if it happens again.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I want to update on this situation, it's billowing smoke out of the tail pipe today just like the last time. I drove somewhere fine, and when I start my car back up it's idling rough and lots of smoke coming out when I give it gas. I can say, yesterday I blew a coolant hose, but it happened as soon as I got to my location and I fixed it and bleed the coolant right there. Does anyone know what could be going on?

Edit: so I had it cool down and I started it back up and it's fine now, does anyone know what could be going on?

Last edited by Chev; 01-31-2019 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-01-2019, 05:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm starting to see a pattern, if I drive somewhere and let my car sit for a couple of minutes and turn it back on it starts running like crap again and smoking violently, if I let it cool down it's perfectly fine, what does this mean because I'm at a loss.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

cyl 2 valve seal may be leaking oil into the cylinder and fouling the plug.
This was the problem that was causing the rough idle and smoking on start up with the car already warmed up. Thanks!
(Just posting this for anyone else that might have this issue.)
Old 02-16-2019, 08:55 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

So what did you do to fix the leak?
Old 02-16-2019, 09:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tony_2018
So what did you do to fix the leak?
Replaced the valve stem seals