Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

turboing an automatic sohc d16y8t

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 04:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turboing an automatic sohc d16y8t

alrite so I don't wanna swap the motor, don't wanna add nitrous, and dont want to supercharge it. so I've been looking into turbo kits for the car (greddy and edelbrock). greddy is nice and I found a package and sportcompactonly for 3600 with intercooler,boost gauge,blow off valve and turbo timer. they also have the edelbrock kit on sale for 3200 and it includes everything as well. I haven't ordered them yet because I'm worried about the motor being basically stock and the tranny since its an automatic. the motor/tranny only have 55k on them so there still fairly new and hardly ever beaten on. I don't plan on beating on the car if I turbo it either. any pros and cons between the greddy kit and edelbrock kit? any suggestions? the edelbrock kit comes with a pretuned unit so u don't have to tune the car after the turbo is installed so that'll save me 1-5 hrs and anywhere from 80-400 dollars. anyone have anything to add to that? thanks
Old 06-11-2006, 04:54 PM

Default Re: turboing an automatic sohc d16y8t (savageEJ8)

spend the money on a 5speed swap. automatic = , esp. on a boosted motor. And damn, if you are ready to shell out that much money, why not a swap? That is what i would do, but whatever.
Old 06-11-2006, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: turboing an automatic sohc d16y8t (sol2hatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sol2hatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">spend the money on a 5speed swap. automatic = , esp. on a boosted motor. And damn, if you are ready to shell out that much money, why not a swap? That is what i would do, but whatever. </TD></TR></TABLE>

word to that..swap that bitch out
Old 06-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, I have to agree with pretty much anybody... First of all, if u run anymore than 8lbs on that engine, ur gonna throw a rod, so a high performance kit like greddy or edelbrock is useless for 3k+, ur better off throwing ur own system together ("home made turbo" for approximately $600 if ur going to run light boost like that (like I said b4, it'll be near impossible for u to run much or anything over 8 or 9 psi). Second of all, for the ammount of money you're willing to dishout, you might as well just swap out and buy a GSR or Si motor (B18c1 or B16a2), they'll put out about the same as that D series on a turbo tuning and running perfect with less chance of something going wrong with basic intake/headers/exhaust... Third of all, ur tranny is a big problem, not b/c auto trannies are **** and you can't turbocharge them, but honda trannies are **** and you can't trubocharge them.. Even if you don't beat on it when u go into overdrive pushing boost on that motor w/ that tranny ur going to snap something so fast it'll make ur headspin (not to mention even if u never hit OD ur going to put a shitload of wear on the carrier bearing as well as the transmission as a whole), with a turbo on a honda auto tranny like that I give u 2 months tops before u pop a tranny valve or something of the sort, there is no way the tranny will last, **** they're lucky if they last in regular conditions but with boost it'll be gone very, very fast.

My advice: Swap that motor and put a B series in there, even an LS motor will be nice for a daily driver, and if u wanna keep the auto with that, you can, but I would still recommend switching to manual because the honda auto trannies are the same as the volkswagon trannies - crap as far as I and many other people are concerned. So for 3 grand (or a hell of a lot less) you can do an auto to manual conversion with an LS swap (including labor), or maybe not an LS swap, maybe a B16 if you can find one cheap enough...

Hope everything works out regardless of which route you choose.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:08 PM

Default Re: turboing an automatic sohc d16y8t (B18cHatch06)

Save your money man, that doesn't sound like it is worth it for you. It still won't be very fast, just more headaches for you with repairs and such. If you don't want to do a swap and you really want to spend money on the car then just get a crazy system or a body kit or a new project car altogether. If I were you I would not go through with that plan.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:24 PM

Default Re: turboing an automatic sohc d16y8t (mugenpowered)

like I said I don't want to swap the motor. in ny emissions are a bitch and getting an "inside" expection is nearly impossible. I plan on running 6 psi which is fine for stock internals and not beating on it at all. now any1 have any information on either of the kits? pros and cons and experiences are welcome. thanks
Old 06-11-2006, 05:27 PM

Default Re: turboing an automatic sohc d16y8t (savageEJ8)

alright dont swap, but you need to do a tranny swap, or you will be buying another tranny soon. get a 5-speed.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

all of you are idiots. 1) turbo D will eat ANY stock B series, 2) boost has no negative affect on tranny auto or manual 3) you will never get a complete tuned reliable turbo kit for $600 4) psi has nothing to do w/ wear and tear, whp does, 8-9psi on a 42/48 t3 is no where near maxing the stock internals, 300whp is easily possible on stock internals as long as the oil pump holds up (which has nothing to do w/ boost just the y motors) 5) why spend $3000 on a swap that gets you 20wtq and 40whp, when you can spend $1000+ - and get 100wtq and 100whp over stock. all of you should go put your heads in a corner for 5minutes and think about what you all just said.

OP, the greddy kit isnt that great, they have a few problems, mitsu turbo, wastegate problems, etc etc..... the edelbrock kit is more complete for the money and holds up nicely (looks good too). they are both descent kits, but for the price a drag kit is much better. personally i recommend spending alot of time researching then, built the kit yourself, spend part of the left over money on install, and the rest on tuning, and you wont be disappointed. even on an auto. good luck.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Last edited by drk_fly; 12-12-2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: ...
Old 06-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well, the tranny can be swapped pretty easily so it is normally a no brainer, but when someone specifically says they dont want to swap it, usually that means they cant drive stick, or something like that, so i dont go against what they say, only try to educate on the best way for the route they want to take.
Old 06-11-2006, 06:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I have to agree with pretty much anybody... First of all, if u run anymore than 8lbs on that engine, ur gonna throw a rod, so a high performance kit like greddy or edelbrock is useless for 3k+, ur better off throwing ur own system together ("home made turbo" for approximately $600 if ur going to run light boost like that (like I said b4, it'll be near impossible for u to run much or anything over 8 or 9 psi). Second of all, for the ammount of money you're willing to dishout, you might as well just swap out and buy a GSR or Si motor (B18c1 or B16a2), they'll put out about the same as that D series on a turbo tuning and running perfect with less chance of something going wrong with basic intake/headers/exhaust... Third of all, ur tranny is a big problem, not b/c auto trannies are **** and you can't turbocharge them, but honda trannies are **** and you can't trubocharge them.. Even if you don't beat on it when u go into overdrive pushing boost on that motor w/ that tranny ur going to snap something so fast it'll make ur headspin (not to mention even if u never hit OD ur going to put a shitload of wear on the carrier bearing as well as the transmission as a whole), with a turbo on a honda auto tranny like that I give u 2 months tops before u pop a tranny valve or something of the sort, there is no way the tranny will last, **** they're lucky if they last in regular conditions but with boost it'll be gone very, very fast.

My advice: Swap that motor and put a B series in there, even an LS motor will be nice for a daily driver, and if u wanna keep the auto with that, you can, but I would still recommend switching to manual because the honda auto trannies are the same as the volkswagon trannies - crap as far as I and many other people are concerned. So for 3 grand (or a hell of a lot less) you can do an auto to manual conversion with an LS swap (including labor), or maybe not an LS swap, maybe a B16 if you can find one cheap enough...

Hope everything works out regardless of which route you choose.</TD></TR></TABLE>

<U>this has to be the worst ******* post of all time. </U>

1. i do agree on the 5 speed conversion. i just converted my auto to 5 speed and its awesome! 5 psi on my 5 speed is as fast at my boosted auto was at 12psi.

2. you can boost the auto, its not going to be as fast as the 5 speed in the same car but it will be fun to drive. mine lasted 25k miles+ and still worked fine with no slips, i was even able to sell it.

3. my old turbo auto took out b16 swapped cars.

4. turbo single cam 5 speed owns stock n/a b- series swaps.

5. most of the time its cheaper to swap to 5 speed and "build" your own "hmt" turbo kit than it is to swap to a b-series. + you will be faster.

6. dont listen to the one poster (syndacate) you will not blow the d-series at 8-9 psi. well you will if your a ******* dumbass. the correct rom editor and tuner will allow for 200+whp on a 5 speed from a d-series vtec or non- vtec.

7. if you plan to turbo the auto dont expect more than 155-165 whp, from 10+psi.

Old 06-11-2006, 06:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ok expletive this, i have experience with both. DO NOT boost the auto. a guy i know has a greddy turbo'd auto 96 civic coupe, it ran a whopping 16.2 at the track, and wouldnt even hold gear to make a complete dyno run.

so... lets see, pay 2 g's+ for a turbo kit, a grand for a 5 speed swap, thats over 3 grand to run some 14's.

you can have an LS swap, for a total of like 1300 installed, and if you cant run 14's with that, you suck at life, then turbo it for like 1500 more, so thats like close to 3 g's, and a turbo LS, will smoke a damn turbo d16 any day of the week with stock internals at a reasonable amount of boost.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DA9toED6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DA9toED6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok expletive this, i have experience with both. DO NOT boost the auto. a guy i know has a greddy turbo'd auto 96 civic coupe, it ran a whopping 16.2 at the track, and wouldnt even hold gear to make a complete dyno run.

so... lets see, pay 2 g's+ for a turbo kit, a grand for a 5 speed swap, thats over 3 grand to run some 14's.

you can have an LS swap, for a total of like 1300 installed, and if you cant run 14's with that, you suck at life, then turbo it for like 1500 more, so thats like close to 3 g's, and a turbo LS, will smoke a damn turbo d16 any day of the week with stock internals at a reasonable amount of boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

you are basing your judgement on one failed attempt at a turbo D, 2000lbs + 160whp is alot more fun auto or not than stock. and theres no way a boosted d16 is gonna run 16s, thats just rediculous. and how come the turbo for the D is 2g's and for the LS is dropped $500, and please tell me where you are gonna get an LS swap installed for $1300. yes a boosted LS swapped 5speed will be faster than a boosted D anyday, but the guys OP said he wasnt swapping and was keeping the auto, so why try to change his mind???
Old 06-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (schardbody)

if you're on a budget, D series boost without a doubt is the best bang for the buck. Most b series swaps will run you 2k plus. unless you know how to do it yourself. But you're not wanting to do a tranny or a motorswap so expletive it and just leave the motor alone. A boosted auto d16 shouldn't be doing too much. and if you weren't gonna "beat" on it much, whats the point?
Old 06-11-2006, 07:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (DA9toED6)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by DA9toED6 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ok expletive this, i have experience with both. DO NOT boost the auto. a guy i know has a greddy turbo'd auto 96 civic coupe, it ran a whopping 16.2 at the track, and wouldnt even hold gear to make a complete dyno run.

you can have an LS swap, for a total of like 1300 installed, and if you cant run 14's with that, you suck at life, then turbo it for like 1500 more, so thats like close to 3 g's, and a turbo LS, will smoke a damn turbo d16 any day of the week with stock internals at a reasonable amount of boost.</TD></TR></TABLE>

just because you know a guy , you know something? WRONG!

your friend didnt take care of his tranny, or change fluid often enough or would drive like an *******..

my boosted auto ran high 14's on 12 psi running on the AFC HACK.. LOL it had so much more in it if i was able to convert to obd1 and actually tune it. it wasnt fast, just fun to drive.

yes it was slow, but we arent saying it will be faster, just that you CAN. if you actually take care if the transmission it might last as long as mine did. 25k miles on boost and before that i ran a 75 shot for about 20+ bottles. never slipped once.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:18 PM

Default Re: (y7turbo)

I don't wanna swap the tranny or motor. I want the car to be fun to drive and have a little kick when I want it but like I said don't wanna run nitrous. and by the way edelbrock kit is rated at 180hp regardless of auto or 5 speed. from what I hear single cam turbo d's walk all over b series swaps and where can you get an ls swap installed for $1500? I don't wanna make a home made kit because won't I lose reliability and driveability? edelbrock is specifically designed for my car and is designed to run on stock internals and is all pretuned to the necessary settings for safety. best way to go and the way I think ill go is edelbrock. ill save money seeing that it comes pretuned and my uncle (mechanic) and me can install it within a day. any input on the edelbrock kit?
Old 06-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (savageEJ8)

the edelbrock kit is a well put together kit. comes with everything. but it is spendy
Old 06-11-2006, 08:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Syndacate)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Syndacate &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah, I have to agree with pretty much anybody... First of all, if u run anymore than 8lbs on that engine, ur gonna throw a rod, </TD></TR></TABLE>

t3 super60, 243/232 @8psi, now 10 psi daily driven, stock bottom end, no problems 10k. You could have a built motor and still destroy a it with a shitty tune. pieced my setup together for about 1700. I dont know of any swap for that price that comes with numbers like that.

Its been said a milliom times, so heres once more...

its all in the tune.

Modified by Turbo_y8 at 11:44 PM 6/11/2006
Old 06-11-2006, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Turbo_y8)

Not mine, but a damn quick boosted auto

http://5ccreations.com/videos/...t.wmv
Old 06-12-2006, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (savageEJ8)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by savageEJ8 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> and by the way edelbrock kit is rated at 180hp regardless of auto or 5 speed.</TD></TR></TABLE>

i really dont care, your not gonna get 180 WHP on the auto on the same setup that runs on the 5 speed..

12% drivetrain loss on the manual and 25%+ loss on the auto.. you will be somewhere around 150 and thats a big maybe.

you will need more boost to get the same whp# automatic vs a 5 speed .. and there is a limit to what the auto even puts out.. like i said before, have fun getting over 155-165whp with over 10psi of boost on the d- series AUTO TRANS.

trust me on that, i have been there. either way it will be a fun car, you will like it it..