i

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo questions:

Modified by i at 6:42 AM 7/31/2004
Old 10-19-2003, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Turbo questions: (i)

Not to be a dick, but if you are still learning, then buy a kit. Buy a new kit from somewhere (check groupbuycenter) so that you have ALL the parts and fasteners that you need. It also comes with directions (although crappy ones if you get the Greddy kit) and you won't get halfway through the install and find that you don't have a fitting or bolt that you need. I got my kit for like 2200 brand new (greddy tdo4h-15g with Type 24 fmic and TiAL bov) . I would'nt run anything over the stock psi (5.5 on a Greddy kit) if you plan to leave everything else in your car stock.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:48 PM

Default Re: Turbo questions: (i)

Search man. I learned the basics of turboing in a week and am now looking to put together my own custom kit.

Start here: http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yele....html
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
-where is a good place to get affordable (used or new) turbo kits?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
USED:
Junkyards, dsmtrader.com, the classifieds here
NEW:
CheapTurbo.com, exospeed.com, SuperChargersOnline.com (FMU etc)
<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by i &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
-how much could i get a whole kit for? (used or new)
</TD></TR></TABLE>
cheapest = $600
average = $1800
most expensive = As much $ as you want really
-are used turbo kits really worth buying? and if so, after how many miles should parts be replaced?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
No experience here. I heard though that a turbo is good for some 10k miles though.
-are they hard to install? (whole kits) also, about how long is a typical install job?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Naw, not very hard at all if you know what youre doing. Tuning is another issue though.
-do i really need a KIT? can i just get the turbo? i mean, im not planning on pushing like 20psi or anything, just enough to give my car a little get-up-and-go.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Yes you need a "kit". A kit is just piping, turbo, fuel management, waste gate, turbo manifold, intercooler, and BOV.
-how much extra power would i be lookin at gaining, if i kept the rest of my car stock?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
depends on boost level. 200 hp/tq is very reachable with stock internals. Hell, theres a thread of a guy getting up to 300+ Hp/tq on stock internals... it will grenade any day though.
-about how many pounds per sq. inch would i be able to push with a kit, but leaving everything else stock?
</TD></TR></TABLE>
Safely and ability are two things. You COULD push 12-15 psi.. it would grenade very quick like though. 6-8 psi on stock internals would be a safe DD.

RESOURCES:
clubboost.com
http://www.sdsefi.com/tech.html
Old 10-19-2003, 09:17 PM

Default Re: Turbo questions: (CarbonCreations)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CarbonCreations &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Search man. I learned the basics of turboing in a week and am now looking to put together my own custom kit.

Start here: http://www.cse.uconn.edu/~yele....html

</TD></TR></TABLE>

^ good site. if your really serious about turbocharging, i advise you to educate yourself as much as possible before you just haphazardly dive in, as you seem to be new to turbos; going turbo is complicated, and if you don't know what you're doing, you either wont get the power you want, or you'll blow your motor. i have seen a few threads on this site "help my turbo is fuked and i have no idea why" don't be stupid, take your time and don't rush into it like those people. i suggest you read maximum boost by corky bell, then you should know whats up. also, imo, kits are stupid; if you have the time, learn how to and build a nice custom set up - and sink the money you would have saved into your bottom end.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:30 PM

Default Re: Turbo questions: (jwn7)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jwn7 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
imo, kits are stupid; if you have the time, learn how to and build a nice custom set up - and sink the money you would have saved into your bottom end. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly what Im doing. Actually though, Im not really saving any money lol. Im going with a Garett t3/t04 with .58 a/r, 38 mm tial wastegate, 440 injectors, s200.
JE Pistons, Forged connecting rods, colder spark plugs and stronger head gaskets.
Love fab turbo mani, Quaife LSD, ACT Stage III clutch and top it off with a 12 lb flywheel and Ill be smooth sailing.

Will be running 10-12 psi daily and 16-18 on race day Or when I want to really really embarass someone haha
Old 10-19-2003, 09:34 PM
Dat Dere Cell Tech

Default Re: Turbo questions: (jwn7)

<FONT SIZE="8">DURR WWW.HOMEMADETURBO.COM </FONT>

thats the BEST place to go for boost info
Old 10-19-2003, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Turbo questions: (daklown)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by daklown &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"><FONT SIZE="8">DURR WWW.HOMEMADETURBO.COM </FONT>

thats the BEST place to go for boost info </TD></TR></TABLE>

stfu newb. thats the best place if you like grenading your engine
Old 10-19-2003, 11:30 PM

Default Re: Turbo questions: (CarbonCreations)

derrrr... jackass.