Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

transmission taken out , bearings replaced....STILL whines...

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2005, 07:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission taken out , bearings replaced....STILL whines...

Hi guys -

i recently pulled out my ZC transmission to replace soem bearigns + fix a dreaded whining noise . I replaced the input shaft bearing , clutch release bearing , 2 x axles seals and check most other parts inside the box - all seems pretty tight n sound.
I have left the OEM clutch inside still tho ( it has about 5000miles left MAX) .

Upon completion + new transmission fluid - feels nice and newish.

But 1 week later after nromal driving - the "whining " noise is back .
It is directly effected due to the accelerator pedal IE slow push = slow whine , gradual push = gradual whine , jabbing of the pedal = stuttering whine noise etc.

And , transmission feels smooth in normal driving although the engine/tranny feels like it is loosing grip in mid to harsh acceleration.

What am i missing here ?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmission taken out , bearings replaced....STILL whines... (bennjamin@ozhonda.com)

mainshaft bearing, countershaft bearings?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: transmission taken out , bearings replaced....STILL whines... (xtremeazian)

Did you measure the input shaft play? did you measure the gap between the synchro and the gear? looks are decieving.
Old 01-15-2005, 12:24 PM
Risky Business

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Re: transmission taken out , bearings replaced....STILL whines... (BatuKing)

Did you spin all of the bearings on the mainshaft and countershaft? Does the noise go away when you press the clutch in?
Old 01-15-2005, 12:27 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: transmission taken out , bearings replaced....STILL whines... (BauleyCivic)

is the noise consistant with vehicle speed or engine speed....knowing this is key
Old 01-15-2005, 04:20 PM

Default Re: transmission taken out , bearings replaced....STILL whines... (Evs-One)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Evs-One &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">is the noise consistant with vehicle speed or engine speed....knowing this is key</TD></TR></TABLE>

the noise IS consistant with transmission speed. *NOT revs/enginespeed , as i can drive the car to a certain speed , place clutch in , rev engine to same speed as before and the noise is gone.*

its almost a dogbox sound as the revs increase.
Old 01-15-2005, 04:47 PM
Solbros Owns Me

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: transmission taken out , bearings replaced....STILL whines... (bennjamin@ozhonda.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by bennjamin@ozhonda.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

the noise IS consistant with transmission speed. *NOT revs/enginespeed , as i can drive the car to a certain speed , place clutch in , rev engine to same speed as before and the noise is gone.*

its almost a dogbox sound as the revs increase. </TD></TR></TABLE>

that doesn't tell you anything tho.

in other words, does the noise get louder/faster with speed or with RPM
Old 01-15-2005, 05:23 PM
Banned

Default Re: transmission taken out , bearings replaced....STILL whines... (Evs-One)

Will it make the sound if with the clutch out and the car in neutral at a standstill when you rev it?

How about when you're in reverse?

need more clues
Old 01-15-2005, 10:11 PM

Default Re: transmission taken out , bearings replaced....STILL whines... (schlit)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by schlit &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Will it make the sound if with the clutch out and the car in neutral at a standstill when you rev it?

How about when you're in reverse?

need more clues</TD></TR></TABLE>

it WONT make the "noise" at stand still. It only makes the noise when engaged in a forward gear. It basically, is the same noise as reverse makes ( whine) - except while going forward.

Old 01-18-2005, 09:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if its apperant in all forward gears and reverse normaly sounds the same. it could be that you used the wrong viscosity or fluid type. if thats not it it could also be a differential side bearing or a worn ring and pinion because the whine may be there in reverse but its just the reverse gear assembly is probably spur cut or not cut at enough of a helical angle to make revese quiet enough to notice an abnormal sound. every one has a plausible suggestion. good luck determining what it really is.