Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

tranmission oil change

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tranmission oil change

I've decided to do a automatic transmission flush on my civic and i just have a few questions. I called up Honda and they told me that it would be $54.99 for an automatic transmission oil change and i called up Mr.Lube and they told me it's $129.99 for an automatic transmission complete fluid change which includes Honda tranmission oil. This service at mr.lube includes replacing all the tranmission fluid including the torque converter. my question is what is the difference between these two services? and are there any gaskets or anything that need to be changed as well when replacing transmission oil.

and i was told by a friend that transmission oil should be pink, if not you nedd a change. is that correct? i checked mine and it's brownish color
Old 02-11-2005, 09:28 AM

Default Re: tranmission oil change (Speed_69)

why don't u just do it yourself. But u 3 quarts of tranny oil.. for $15 and spend bout 20 minutes on it.. save yourself money.
If you do it yourself, you cant flush it like some shops can... but it doesnt matter. it doesnt make a difference anyways. I've changed tons of automatic tranny fluid and not once have i ever flushed it. If you really want to flush it.. change the tranny fluid twice and it'll probably be cleaner than flushing... but that's overkill
BTW, if you're spending $5 on tranny fluid for Honda ATF, i'd recommend you try the Mobil 1 synthetic ATF instead. They are $5 each and are a lot better than Honda ATF. Put them in all my hondas and they shift hella smooth. Good luck

Tranny color should be red.. if its redddish brown, then you might want to change it.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranmission oil change (mingbling96)

I concur, do it yourself. Spend maybe $20 tops, and 20-30 mins of your time. Tranny fluid should be bright pink/red when it's new. If it's brown or reddish-brown, change it out.
Old 02-11-2005, 10:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranmission oil change (******)

Auto trannys suck tho...dropping the pan is a bitch.
Old 02-11-2005, 12:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: tranmission oil change (Happyman)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Happyman &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Auto trannys suck tho...dropping the pan is a bitch.</TD></TR></TABLE>

honda auto's don't have pans. AT fluid changes are easier than MT fluid changes
Old 02-11-2005, 12:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: tranmission oil change (dantastic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dantastic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

honda auto's don't have pans. AT fluid changes are easier than MT fluid changes</TD></TR></TABLE>

No pans? There's no filter anywhere that needs changing? I'm off to my helms on this one...

Old 02-11-2005, 12:36 PM

Default Re: tranmission oil change (Speed_69)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Speed_69 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I've decided to do a automatic transmission flush on my civic and i just have a few questions. I called up Honda and they told me that it would be $54.99 for an automatic transmission oil change and i called up Mr.Lube and they told me it's $129.99 for an automatic transmission complete fluid change which includes Honda tranmission oil. This service at mr.lube includes replacing all the tranmission fluid including the torque converter. my question is what is the difference between these two services? and are there any gaskets or anything that need to be changed as well when replacing transmission oil
and i was told by a friend that transmission oil should be pink, if not you nedd a change. is that correct? i checked mine and it's brownish color</TD></TR></TABLE>
Wait.....the dealership quote HAD to be for just draining the the fluid and refill = aprox 3.5 qrts which is not a flush. There is an internal filter but that should not be a concern. If your fluid is brown it's high time to flush. Dealers in my area do not do power flushes. Here is the method to do it yourself and save aprox $80.
Provided by another forum member. I cannot remember his name and he WILL flame me !
Honda Auto Trans Flush 1 case (12 qrts) Honda ATF aprox. $50. 1 new drain bolt washer $1.
1) Put the front of the car up on jackstands with the wheels off the ground. Put a large container under drain plug.
2) Remove the transmission drain plug (3/8" drive ratchet works fine). Let transmission drain and wipe sludge off drain plug.
3) Reinstall drain plug and snug (not tighten). Fill transmission with three quarts of ATF.
4) Start engine and shift into drive. Gently accelerate and let transmission upshift through the gears (don't go over 50 MPH).
5) Step on brakes and bring speedo to 0.
6) Shift into reverse and accelerate to 20 MPH.
7) Bring speedo back to 0 with brakes. Shift to park and shut off engine.
8) Repeat steps 2 through 7 TWO MORE TIMES.
9) Drain the transmission once more. Reinstall drain plug and tighten firmly (don't forget to reinstall crush washer).
10) Remove jackstands and put vehicle on level ground.
11) Fill transmission with 2 1/2 quarts of ATF. Start engine. Shift to drive, then reverse, then put back in park and shut off engine.
12) Check transmission fluid level. Top off if needed to bring fluid level to the top of the crosshatch marks on the dipstick.