Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Touched ground w/ positve post....

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 11:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touched ground w/ positve post....

I just finished a wiretuck on my ls/v em1 w/a chipped p72 and i had some issue that are now resolved. Everything was fine and in working order. So, i go and reconnect the battery. I tighten the positive post down and when i reach for the negative cable, it managed to side swipe the positive battery post! What a nerd, i know! Hude spark ignited.

Now, here is the issue... when i go and try to start the car and put it in accessory mode (II) i hear this loud ticking/knocking noise coming from the engine bay and main relay. I checked all fuses and none are burnt. Not even the 80amp battery or the 15amp ecu. I thought those were the first to burn but they didn't. I tried to isolate the ticking noise and found out its coming from my iac valve. When i disconnect the iac, the noise goes away and the main relay ticks continuously. i have a kill switch for the fuel pump, so i turn it off becuase the main relay is activing it. when i switch on the fuel pump, it primes but ticks simultaneously with the main relay. weird. why would my iac valve tick loudly if it is an idle air control and doesn't have nothing to do with ignition/battery?(so i think) Could it be my main relay? could it be a burnt iac?? ive searched and found nothing on this matter. i took apart my main relay and it seems ok. Chip board and capacitors seem fine, i see no burnt marks. i took the two covers off the two relays on the main relay and see nothing wrong. How can i check the main relay to see if it is bad? Other than the visibility trait...? What could have burnt/messed up without blowing a fuse? some good guidance will be greatly appreciated. peace
Old 10-02-2009, 09:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Touched ground w/ positve post....

Sounds like your ECU got messed up and is sending a bad signal to your IACV.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

My brother said the same thing and he's bringing over an ECU for me tonight. Why didn't the 15 amp ECU fuse and the 80 amp battery fuse blow out? I wil try the ECU and go from there. Is there anyway to test the main relay and see if it's good or not?
Old 10-02-2009, 12:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Throw it in another car or find the wiring diagrams and test it. Connect a battery to tha approriate terminal and use a multi meter and cross reference
Old 10-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I'll test it in a minute and let ya'll know. I really hope it's the main relay that is causing this problem. I hate for it to be the ecu. thx for the input guys. anyone know why the ecu or battery fuse didnt blow? It baffles me just thinking there was a short and none of the fuse blew. I'm patiently waiting for my bro to get here tonight with his ecu.
Old 10-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It don't take 15amp to blow a computer...
The ticking is your relay disconnecting do to a short, relays are almost like a circuit breaker....
Old 10-02-2009, 06:26 PM

I really doubt you hurt anything. I think it probably has something to do with the wire tuck you did. I have accidentally arc'd the battery before but it wasn't enough to blow the fuse either. That's what fuses are for. To protect the wires and components from damage.

I think its just a coincidence and the fact that you just did a wire tuck. Is this the first time you are testing it since doing the tuck?
Old 10-02-2009, 06:36 PM
gwl
Honda-Tech Member

Did you have this arc when the negative side of the battery was not connected?
Old 10-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yes i did. neg side was not connected.

r666 ur correct. i didnt hurt anything! i just went into my garage and reassembled everything and the ticking continued for 3 seconds then suddenly stop. it's weird as hell. then only different thing i did was checked the main relay with the mulit-meter. i plugged it in and gave it a shot and turned the key and like i said it only ticked for 3 seconds and everything is back to normal. fuel pump primes and iacv is not ticking/knocking, no mil's either. came back from a test drive and everything is in working order. i can't explain it but my car is ok now.

shawn said something bout relays being like circuit breakers when shorted. maybe the arc gave then a wake up call. i dont understand how it fixed itself, but im glad it did.

im still keeping a close eye on my wire tuck and the issue i just had. thanks guys for the guidance and input ya'll gave. .02 goes along away! peace.
Old 10-02-2009, 07:14 PM

Congrats. Glad you got it all working right.

Sometimes you just get lucky and things work themselves out. Doesn't happen too often.
Old 10-02-2009, 11:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Seems stupid...But your battery itself could have taken a dump on you. I did a similar thing one day. I rewired my main relay while my car was on (for about the first half of the time) playing music (stupid, I know). By the time I was done the battery had died and the main relay clicked like crazy when I tried to start it. So I ripped it all apart and put it back to the way it was before. I then realized it wasn't my wiring, but the battery that had gone dead.