Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Too old to change transmission fluid?

Old 10-03-2014, 07:14 PM
Trial User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too old to change transmission fluid?

Just picked up a 95 Civic 5 speed manual. 217k miles. Shifts HARD into gear. Dude said it just needed shifter bushings, but I dunno. Thinking about changing fluid at least, but wasn't sure if that was really a good idea where its so old. VIP tech refused saying it was too risky.

Found a used transmission on craigslist for $75, getting pulled out Monday. But I have never swapped a transmission, doesn't look hard, just really time consuming.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Too old to change transmission fluid?

when you say shift hard do you mean once you change gears and let of the clutch it thunks into gear? or do you mean its hard to select from one gear to another, ie wont go into gear or grinds going into gear? first symptom would be motor mounts, second one would be syncros.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Trial User

When you let off the clutch, its super smooth, no thump, clank, jolts, or grinding.
When you move the shifter from left to right, pretty loose. when you go top to bottom any gear, even coming out of a gear, its just.. super tight. like someone is holding onto the other end.

The only other thumping she makes is something completely different, think she has a blown shock.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:01 AM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The left to right slop is your shifter bushings. Replace them.

No, it isn't "too old" to replace the fluid. That happens to automatics (friction material ends up in the fluid, replace the fluid and you'll start slipping), not standards. The transmission fluid in a standard transmission only exists to keep gears running smoothly together, just like the oil in an engine. Drain the transmission, fill the transmission, and replace your bushings. Don't take it to a shop - do it yourself. It's stupidly easy.
Old 10-04-2014, 01:08 AM
longest project ever

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prophetnite
When you let off the clutch, its super smooth, no thump, clank, jolts, or grinding.
When you move the shifter from left to right, pretty loose. when you go top to bottom any gear, even coming out of a gear, its just.. super tight. like someone is holding onto the other end.

The only other thumping she makes is something completely different, think she has a blown shock.
take a look at your shift rod and bushings from under the car while someone moves the shifter, sounds like something is maby bent and binding, especially check the torque rod to make sure it's not broken or disconnected at the tranny, the shift linkage on these floats, and it moves in relation to that torque rod, if the torque rod is damaged or unattached, you won't be able to move the shifter back and forth, the entire shift assembly is attached to that torque rod, and it actually moves back and forth slightly under engine torque, the other end hangs in the rear bushing and slides back and forth on a pin through it. You can get poly bushings for these cheap on ebay, energy suspension ones, if yours are worn it makes a huge difference in shifter feel
Old 10-04-2014, 08:46 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Use good transmission fluid. People using bad transmission fluid is where the wives tales come from, that changing old trans fluid is a bad thing.

Last edited by TomCat39; 10-04-2014 at 03:50 PM. Reason: No need to yell at people in text.
Old 10-04-2014, 08:47 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Chevy's synchromesh. If its good enough for turbo vettes its good enough for your civic
Old 10-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Check the simple things first, make sure your clutch master cylinder is full and properly bled out. Check for proper free play on your clutch pedal. Check the fluid level in the tranny. Like NotARacist said, manual trannys don't care about new fluid, it won't hurt them. That's an issue with automatics.

Last edited by 98ekb18c; 10-04-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:07 AM
B*a*n*n*e*d

No its not automatics will always also benefit from high quality new fluid.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:27 AM
Trial User

So sounds pretty universal, F(*& the people who say not to change fluid. Change it, change shift bushings, inspect torque rod, inspect everything within my ability. But unless im missing something, looks like a bit of a pita to fill, the hole is on the side??

Most of the suspension was replaced with energy parts before I bought the car so ill probably stay with that for bushings. Anyone got coupons? :D
Old 10-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by prophetnite
So sounds pretty universal, F(*& the people who say not to change fluid. Change it, change shift bushings, inspect torque rod, inspect everything within my ability. But unless im missing something, looks like a bit of a pita to fill, the hole is on the side??

Most of the suspension was replaced with energy parts before I bought the car so ill probably stay with that for bushings. Anyone got coupons? :D
Thats because you mixing information from an automatic transmission with a manual transmission. Learn to organize your search.

Yes a manual transmission always benefits from fresh fluid. Have you tried to see if you can get it into gear smoothly with the engine off? Have you inspected your shift linkage? Have you checked your motor mounts to see if they aren't effecting your shifting?
Old 10-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Trial User

Umm... No, no, and no. I need to buy a jack that fits under the car. Mine wont works because the kid that owned it before lowered it.

Never thought to check if it goes in gear while not running. .... that would mean the ... wait no.. what does that mean if it goes into gear/ doesnt go into gear?
Old 10-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Fish Twig

Why dont you go do it and report back
Old 10-04-2014, 11:01 AM
Trial User

Originally Posted by tony_2018
Have you tried to see if you can get it into gear smoothly with the engine off? Have you inspected your shift linkage? Have you checked your motor mounts to see if they aren't effecting your shifting?

Engine off - shifts exactly the same.
Motor mounts - look fine.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:07 AM
longest project ever

good chance someone ran over something and bent the shift rod or torque rod a little, let me find the rebuild thread I did on my 86, different year, but other then minor differences, they are pretty much the same on all models with non cable shifters.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:14 AM
longest project ever

this is off my 86 Accord, but the shifter is for all intents and purposes the same, as a matter of fact, the energy suspension kit I found for it, is from a Civic. this at least shows you what the bushings look like and how that rear bushing works, maby it will help you http://www.3geez.com/forum/performan...k-again-4.html
Old 10-04-2014, 11:14 AM
Fish Twig

You'll need to replace the shifter bushings. Can't be that hard to jack up a lowered car. I mean you bought like that for a reason you could've at least thought about finding a way to jack it up.
Old 10-04-2014, 11:18 AM
Trial User

You'll need to replace the shifter bushings. Can't be that hard to jack up a lowered car. I mean you bought like that for a reason you could've at least thought about finding a way to jack it up.
lol, i bought it cuz it was $500 and needed a car. Aaaand at the same time seemed like a nice lil project
Old 10-04-2014, 11:18 AM
longest project ever

I think that takes the same civic energy suspension kit as what I used, part number is on my thread, world of difference between a stock bushings and the poly one, especially important for the rear bushing, as it supports the weight of the entire shifter and shift rod etc,on a single pin
Old 10-04-2014, 03:37 PM
Fish Twig

As long as the bushings are replaced we can rule that out, but we still need to verify if the linkage is bent.

Last edited by TomCat39; 10-04-2014 at 03:58 PM. Reason: No need to go slamming people. Slander removed.
Old 10-04-2014, 04:18 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by taco_hut
No its not automatics will always also benefit from high quality new fluid.
No they won't, you ******* simpleton. If you don't know what you're talking about, shut up. You've been told this before. Quit shitting up the forums with false information.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:02 PM
longest project ever

OP you need to get this car jacked up, and on JACKSTANDS, then get someone to move the shifter through the gears while you watch the linkage, if something is bent,not working right, it will be pretty obvious from watching, it's not going to get done wondering about it on a forum
Old 10-04-2014, 06:43 PM
Trial User

Originally Posted by lostforawhile
OP you need to get this car jacked up, and on JACKSTANDS, then get someone to move the shifter through the gears while you watch the linkage, if something is bent,not working right, it will be pretty obvious from watching, it's not going to get done wondering about it on a forum
Couldn't agree more, but at the same time, wanted to poke you guys for some ideas so I had some ideas what to look for. Might not be a mechanic, but doesn't mean cant get somewhere with a little brainstorming.