Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Tire pressure change in regards to tire size and engine swap/weight reduction

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 05:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tire pressure change in regards to tire size and engine swap/weight reduction

I'm having issues keeping traction, and already have stiffer springs, a traction bar, poly motor mounts and I don't dump the clutch.

Stock, my car, a 1993 Civic LX has a recommended cold tire pressure of 32psi front and rear on the 13 inch rims. I swapped a B18C1 in with a turbo, removed AC, power steering, lots of extra trim and junk and I have 14 inch rims currently.

Anyone have some input? The cold, a heavier motor, different rims, etc should somehow affect how the tires are pressed down. Otherwise I'm going to just play around with pressures. They were looking pretty low with 32psi, when measured after about a half hour drive, so I bumped them up to like 38psi (while still warm) and I can bleed some pressure off after I drive to work
Old 12-21-2011, 05:53 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: Tire pressure change in regards to tire size and engine swap/weight reduction

What traction bar and how much horsepower are we talking about?
Old 12-21-2011, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Tire pressure change in regards to tire size and engine swap/weight reduction

It was a homemade traction bar copying some well known one. The bar is fairly heavy duty, it has 1/2" thread heim joints and 1/4" plate steel brackets. With the car sitting on the ground, I put the links on just kinda finger tight, and then turned them like 2 turns tighter with a wrench to pull the suspension up.

The motor isn't that powerful, it's a boosted B18C1 with 9.5:1 compression and a skunk2 style intake, and CTR style cams. But it's an issue getting traction like at stop lights when I'm not in the power band. I'm not launching or trying to take off fast, I only have a stage 1 clutch so I still have some ability to feather it and take off smooth, but anything like gravel or wet pavement and I have to be super careful not to spin tires.

Tires are some sort of all season tire with a lot of siping, the grooves to channel water away. They're new within the last 6 months, and the tread is good and deep still. They're my junk rims that I don't care about salt getting on in the winter.

Springs were Eibach Ground Control shelf springs. 325lb front, 250lb rear. I have 450lb springs I could put on. I was going to wait for spring because of the roads. I'm sitting about 1 inch below stock. Camber should not be that much of an issue.