Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

Is there something wrong with my distribtor?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is there something wrong with my distributor?

So we've been having this problem with our standard '95 civic where once in a while it bogs down (especially when you give it gas) and idles rough. It seemed to happen whenever we had wet weather so we assumed it was water in the gas and put some iso-heet (dry gas) in the tank. I hadn't had much problem with it until today...it stalled when I was at a red light...i started it back up, then it stalled at the next red light and it wouldn't start again. It sputtered a few times but didn't start and we were stranded at a busy intersection. We put some more iso-heet in the tank and waited about 20 mins and tried to start it again. After a few times it started up but we barely got halfway home when it died again. This time it wouldn't even turn over at all...the starter was just wining. We waited like 15mins to let it cool down and it strangely started right up. We recently replaced all the wires and plugs thinking that was the problem but it hasn't seemed to help. Could it be something with the distributor?
Old 03-12-2007, 08:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Is there something wrong with my distributor? (HondaBabe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HondaBabe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">So we've been having this problem with our standard '95 civic where once in a while it bogs down (especially when you give it gas) and idles rough. It seemed to happen whenever we had wet weather so we assumed it was water in the gas and put some iso-heet (dry gas) in the tank. I hadn't had much problem with it until today...it stalled when I was at a red light...i started it back up, then it stalled at the next red light and it wouldn't start again. It sputtered a few times but didn't start and we were stranded at a busy intersection. We put some more iso-heet in the tank and waited about 20 mins and tried to start it again. After a few times it started up but we barely got halfway home when it died again. This time it wouldn't even turn over at all...the starter was just wining. We waited like 15mins to let it cool down and it strangely started right up. We recently replaced all the wires and plugs thinking that was the problem but it hasn't seemed to help. Could it be something with the distributor? </TD></TR></TABLE> Does your Distributor have the O ring around it, I degreased my engine bay and turned my car on, I guess steam built up in my ditributor cap and fucked the whole rotation up. Sounds the same prob. Hope this helps.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heard that main relay under the dash is a problem as the solder joints deteriorate, see if that or the ignitor in distributor are just old and going out as the car warms up..