Notices
Honda Civic / Del Sol (1992 - 2000) EG/EH/EJ/EK/EM1 Discussion

terrible gas mileage????

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 09:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default terrible gas mileage????

ok on my b16 im getting about 230 km/tank thats about 142.92 miles per tank. i dont understand why my gas mileage is so bad. i have changed my plugs cleaned my injectors, i have a gsr fuel pump. my car has no CEL and is running perfect now. no hessitations and no bogging down. there is no smoke at all what could it be?
Old 06-03-2003, 09:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: terrible gas mileage???? (nextelbuddy)

Maybe you need new O2 sensors.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:28 AM

Default Re: terrible gas mileage???? (Marauder)

Hrm, my milage has come down since i started doing mods. My O2 Sensor is broken too haha.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:37 AM

Default Re: terrible gas mileage???? (Slow-R)

May sound stupid but check your tire pressure. Mine was low in my front driver side tire, and it affected my mileage significantly.
Old 06-03-2003, 09:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have you modified your gauge cluster? maybe the gas reading is incorrect..?
Old 06-03-2003, 10:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: terrible gas mileage???? (allmtrSI)

Along the same lines, do you have new wheels? Larger diameter wheels will return less milage. I had 17's on my HX and I went from 38 mpg to 29 mpg.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: terrible gas mileage???? (jolt-tsp)

i have 17 in wheels and perfect tire pressure and tire wear is good. my cluster is a jdm eg cluster. and my 02 sensor should be fine its not throwing any codes. the cluster is right though cuz when it says empty i go to fill up it really is empty.
Old 06-03-2003, 10:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

just b/c it's not throwing any codes dosn't mean your o2 sensor is working! this is not a perfect system you are working with, check it.

Read your spark plugs

what about your air filter?

the 17in wheels will kill your mpg... but not by that much. go back to stock or 15 in wheels for better mpg and more power.

-Sketch

good luck!
Old 06-03-2003, 12:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Sketch_hs)

well i suppose the O2 sensor could be bad it is the jdm one that came with the motor and is probably all clogged up. i have 2 extra 4 wire O2 sensors from obd2 cars will they work? also could a clogged or faulty O2 sensor cause my gas mileage to be down by over 100-150 miles to a tank? cuz now im getting 142 miles to a tank but what should i be getting with a b16 in a hatch?
Old 06-03-2003, 01:08 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jolt-tsp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Along the same lines, do you have new wheels? Larger diameter wheels will return less milage. I had 17's on my HX and I went from 38 mpg to 29 mpg.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How on Earth? Please explain this to me. Because you have a larger diameter shouldnt that mean less rpm's = larger distance covered than the smaller diameter wheels?
Old 06-03-2003, 01:12 PM

Default Re: terrible gas mileage???? (Neptune)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Neptune &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How on Earth? Please explain this to me. Because you have a larger diameter shouldnt that mean less rpm's = larger distance covered than the smaller diameter wheels? </TD></TR></TABLE>

It takes more power and more engine revolutions to get those larger diamter wheels moving. Since it takes more engine revolutions you are, in turn, using more gas to cover a shorter distance.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:16 PM

You should check your fuel pressure. My buddy lost about 7mpg due to high fuel pressure, and his car was running fine.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Re: terrible gas mileage???? (sappsycho)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by sappsycho &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

It takes more power and more engine revolutions to get those larger diamter wheels moving. Since it takes more engine revolutions you are, in turn, using more gas to cover a shorter distance.</TD></TR></TABLE>

it doesn't take more revolutions it just sucks away power from the road... you have to use more gas and it goes slower... the engine rpms are directly related (by the transmission) to the rate of spin at the axel regardless of outside diameter... 1 turn at the center is 1 turn at the outside...

and as far as the o2... I'm running w/o one and have gotten NO drop in milage so I doubt that's it.
Old 06-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: terrible gas mileage???? (NonovUrbizniz)

I would recomend checking the fuel pressure... if that's not it it's probobly a stuck injector...

does it smell like it's running fuel rich?

it may be a leak.

there are a lot of possibilities.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

do u guys really think a bad O2 sensor could cause me to noly get about 150 mile to a tank?
Old 06-04-2003, 11:40 AM

No offense, but sometimes it can be the driving that causes bad gas milelage. I. mean if you like to speed all the time and push your car to it's limit then that can knock your milelage down by like 30-50 miles. Well at least for me this happens.
Old 06-04-2003, 11:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: terrible gas mileage???? (Ziggie)

well i dont "vtec it everywhere" i am still breaking the motor in and the new timing belt on there i dont want to messanything up. so no im not driving it hard. i am just getting terrible mileage. and i am using the original O2 sensor that came with my old 96 jdm type r motor and i havent changed it out yet still
Old 06-04-2003, 12:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

there is something wrong with your fuel delivery system... probobly a stuck injector or something... there is NO reason to be getting that bad milage... if you don't figure out why it's using soo much gas you'll probobly end up needing to replace your cat too...

I really don't know what to suggest though...

Did you get an ecu with the swap... could be chipped... could be running really rich program or something.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

well i have a brand new oem cat cuz i had to pass emissions and i did yay!!, and if i had a stuck injector i would know cuz i would smell gas or at least bog down or something but its not doing any of that. maybe because its juat a bad motor that uses a lot of fuel i dont know but i dont want to take it to a shop cuz they will charge a arm and a leg but if i have to i will because i know that i will paya lot more in gas money if i dont eventually
Old 06-04-2003, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nothing other than the fuel system would explain that bad milage... it's either PISSING fuel into the cylinders or its pissing fuel somewhere else... aka leak... otherwise there is NO way it's getting that kind of milage...

I'd be suprized if it got that bad milage with 20lbs of boost. much less stock...

there just has to be something DRAMATICALLY wrong.

Oh and why the new cat.. did the old one go bad or did you just get one to fit your swap?
Old 06-05-2003, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With the larger diameter wheel thing, you're actually covering more distance than you odometer reads. the odometer is not accurate if you change your wheel/tire size. Plus they're harder to move, so accelerating will suck down more gas. Cruising shouldn't be too much different. Just from what the odometer reads though it will appear you're getting dramatically worse milage, since you've actually covered, say, 300 miles, when the odo says you've only covered 250 or something.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by jolt-tsp &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">With the larger diameter wheel thing, you're actually covering more distance than you odometer reads. the odometer is not accurate if you change your wheel/tire size. Plus they're harder to move, so accelerating will suck down more gas. Cruising shouldn't be too much different. Just from what the odometer reads though it will appear you're getting dramatically worse milage, since you've actually covered, say, 300 miles, when the odo says you've only covered 250 or something.</TD></TR></TABLE>

VERY TRUE!

we all know he got the meters adjusted when he went to 17in rims though.... RIGHT??!!

-Sketch
Old 06-05-2003, 10:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

**** im' getting 25mpg with my 00 HX, on stock enkei's with no mods gotta go get it check'ed up on
Old 06-05-2003, 03:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Trixiem)

ouch.. I'm pulling 45 mpg when I drive to Austin on my stock HX rims. I'd definitely get that checked out
Old 06-05-2003, 05:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (jolt-tsp)

what if my O2 sensor was bad, and my fuel filter needed to be changed, would that affect my mileage this bad? along with big wheels i used to have?

Quick Reply: terrible gas mileage????